My new Touring - Page 14 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #261
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
All monitors are set, no pending codes, time for inspection! Which is a good thing since my Jeep started puking transmission fluid out of the bellhousing Thursday night. Luckily I caught the Jeep's issue early by the cloud of white smoke billowing out from underneath it as it was dripping right onto the exhaust. Well, I guess I know what I'm doing this coming weekend with my time off!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by yjsaabman; 07-21-2019 at 06:43 PM.
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #262
yjsaabman

Well, I fought the heat and the Jeep trans is almost ready to come out. The initial findings are not encouraging...

Old 07-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #263
malapane

My Ride: E46 M3 & F30 320 ZSP
Bummer.

What kind of Jeep is it?
malapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #264
yjsaabman

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapane View Post
Bummer.

What kind of Jeep is it?
It's my winter "beater," a 1994 Grand Cherokee I bought for $375 around 4.5 years ago. This transmission has about 10k miles on it since a rebuild that I invested around $750 into, so I'm a bit upset, but it could be worse. I've been looking into a 5 speed swap since I got it, so this may be the opportunity. It all comes down to availability of the right donor. 5 speed ZJ Grands were only offered in 1993 in very limited numbers, but XJ Cherokee parts can be adapted without too much work. I'm not in a rush, the Touring got inspected today, so it's back into its roll as fair weather DD.

I have a thread on here for the Jeep, but I haven't updated it in awhile. It has e46 heated sport seats in the front, though I'm still working on the CAN BUS signal to wake up the heat controls. It also has a mild 1.75" spacer lift and 2016 Rubicon wheels and 265/70r17 A/Ts. Also working on replacing the rusty rockers with some box tubing and swapping up to some tow package axles with better gearing.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 PM   #265
dlmrun2002

My Ride: 325xit
I got a 2001 Grand Cherokeee 4.0 and I hate it so much.It was free and I still didn't want it. Use it as a beater. Had a YJ which was fun. If the Cherokee didn't break this winter my wagon would not have been used and get totalled. Jeep just died on highway, dead, no limp mode or anything. Bad crank or cam sensor. Need to replace both..Jeep crap.

dlm ny country
dlmrun2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:04 AM   #266
yjsaabman

Sounds like a simple enough fix, should have just knocked it out and parked the Touring again.

I love my ZJ, basic, rugged, but still comfy. Parts are cheap, easy to wrench on, etc. But, it's 25 years old, so I do expect the occasional issue, though this one is a biggie. Mine has died on the highway twice. First time was a corroded wire for the fuel pump. Replaced the pump and it still didn't fire, then I found the wire. Second time was a failed distributor rotor. Brand new one, 3 days old, blew apart. Fortunately I was fairly close to home on that one. The wife came to get me and brought a screwdriver to confirm, then ran home, dug the old one out of the trash, tossed it on and warranty swapped the bad part the next day.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:42 AM   #267
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
Growing up I used to love those cars. (Where I'm from, those were what the "rich" people bought back then.) Even as a known headache I could see myself getting sucked into paying $375 for one like that to beat on.

What's hilarious to me is that at the time, the GC was a big car. Now it's like the size of an X1. Same deal as the e30 and e36 vs the F80s I suppose...
Old 07-23-2019, 08:02 AM   #268
malapane

My Ride: E46 M3 & F30 320 ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
It's my winter "beater," a 1994 Grand Cherokee I bought for $375 around 4.5 years ago. This transmission has about 10k miles on it since a rebuild that I invested around $750 into, so I'm a bit upset, but it could be worse. I've been looking into a 5 speed swap since I got it, so this may be the opportunity. It all comes down to availability of the right donor. 5 speed ZJ Grands were only offered in 1993 in very limited numbers, but XJ Cherokee parts can be adapted without too much work. I'm not in a rush, the Touring got inspected today, so it's back into its roll as fair weather DD.

I have a thread on here for the Jeep, but I haven't updated it in awhile. It has e46 heated sport seats in the front, though I'm still working on the CAN BUS signal to wake up the heat controls. It also has a mild 1.75" spacer lift and 2016 Rubicon wheels and 265/70r17 A/Ts. Also working on replacing the rusty rockers with some box tubing and swapping up to some tow package axles with better gearing.

We had a WJ that we loved. Got it dirt cheap and drove it for a long time with zero issues and got half our money back. Probably the lowest total cost of ownership car I ever owned. I think I replaced only front window regulators and the fan and resistor relay in 5 or 6 years of heavy use.

Also have/ had several Jeeps since. Just sold my LJ that I loved and replaced it with a new JL 2 door.
malapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #269
Dave

And yes I did just go check Craigslist to see what 90s-era Cherokees are out there now...

I figured out what "bothers" me about your car; with your dark smoked tails and corners, plus all the black in the moulding and your window trim... the nice shiny wheels stick out like a sore thumb.

I wonder how the car would look with some dark or anthracite wheels instead to keep the theme. On my old mystic blue M3 I had the black kidneys and side gills and the TiShadow interior trim that I'd put on whenever I ran the anthracite wheels, or the chrome stock pieces to match the Hyper Silver ones. That way everything sort of flowed together.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #270
yjsaabman

I'd actually like to go with a dark bronze colored wheel, but new wheels just aren't in the budget. I've thought about refinishing these, but the amount of time and effort it would take just isn't worth it.

As of right now all the dark lenses are gone. The inspection garage gave me a hard time about them, and I need the car on the road and legal, so the tint even came off the tails. I still have all the front lights to go back on, but for now I think I'll drive it this way for a bit. I don't totally hate the amber lights on this color.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #271
Dave

They'd work with bronze too... but I think the clears would mesh best with chrome kidneys and your existing wheels (and not break the bank!) in the meantime.

I'm of course a fan of having variety
Old 07-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #272
yjsaabman

I'm not hating the bright lights, but won't be going back to the chrome kidneys. (Although I do still have them, the clips are pretty sad, though.) I really only care for the chrome on the darker colors. I grew up with the black trim on a Euro car meaning the upper level/sport trim and it left an impression on me. (Especially coming from the Saab world where the Turbo cars had the black trim.)

Update on the MINI, the hood scoop flew off on the wife on the highway this morning. I noticed it while making dinner when I looked out the kitchen window. She saw something fly over the hood, but thought it was piece of paper. She said I should have let it go and seen how long it took her to notice. Lol!

Old 08-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #273
yjsaabman

Finally got to give the touring a quick wash after work today. Far from perfect, but enough to snap a few pics with the new look of blacked out trim and kidneys with the OE lenses.

Also still waiting on the new scoop for the MINI. In the meantime the harmonic balancer failed this week, so that needed taken care of. Aside from having to fab a tensioner tool for it, the balancer job was pretty straight forward.

I also found all the parts for a 5 speed swap in the Jeep within a reasonable distance and head to pick those up Sunday. Coming soon to a "Haul it!" thread near you!

Old 08-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #274
markseven

My Ride: BMW M Power
Lookin good!
markseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #275
yjsaabman

So the MINI decided it didn't want to start yesterday morning. No issues Tuesday, Wednesday morning it just cranks and cranks. Only poked at it for about 10 minutes and determined the tach reads and it has spark.

So, in the meantime, the wife is borrow a friend's 2006 Audi A4 Avant with the 2.0T and a 6 speed, slightly lowered, etc. This car will be for sale in the near future and the wife does like the way it drives. My initial impressions of Audi are a bit disappointing, however. The material quality and fit and finish in the cargo area are not up to the e46. The cargo cover is also not as easily removed and has a huge flap that hangs down and gets in the way. I also noticed the vinyl on the cargo cover is starting to peel away.

My biggest complaint is with the poorly placed child seat anchors. The center anchor for the rear strap is mounted at the top of the seat back and is too close to allow proper tightening of that strap. It is the first time I have encountered this type of blatantly poor design for a child seat anchor. Every other hatchback vehicle I have seen or used has them at least half way down the seat back or on the cargo floor. I don't know how this design made it into production. So far this car is not winning any points towards a more permanent spot in my driveway.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #276
yjsaabman

The MINI needs a fuel pump, not super surprised.

Back to the Audi comparison...I got to drive it to work Friday. Now, let me say this to start, it is in no way a bad car. With that said, I do find the e46 to be a more refined car. There are small things that I find with it that seem less well thought out than with the BMW. What do you ask?

The parking brake lever is under the center armrest, is awkward to pull, and actually contacts the armrest when it's applied. In the e46 it is easy to pull, and the armrest is actually notched to clear the lever.

It doesn't feel as smooth as the e46. The turbo 4 is a bit rougher and noisier. Some of the noise is due to the direct injection, I'm sure. I find I miss the instant throttle and torque of the silky BMW I6. The Audi may actually be faster and makes more horsepower, but there is a slight delay when you drop your foot until the turbo spools up.

The controls overall are lighter. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a change. The pedals, the steering, the gear shift is all lower input.

The cargo area panels are lower quality. I know I said this before, but I feel the need to say it again. It has the side access panels like the e46, but they are so much thinner material, and don't latch nearly as well as the e46.

It just doesn't seem quite as ergonomic as the e46. Placement of controls, access of the dash display info, etc. It took me a good bit of fiddling to get reasonably comfy in it, and I'm still not as comfy as in the e46.

Now, I also may be biased, as I've been driving an e46 for almost 6 years, now. With that said, I also prefer the styling of the e46 over the B7 Audi A4. I venture you all feel the same, as you're here! Here's a bit of the Audi by itself and with the BMW, and of the LATCH anchor issue. Apparently Graco seats don't agree with an Audi Avant.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #277
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
The MINI needs a fuel pump, not super surprised.

Back to the Audi comparison...I got to drive it to work Friday. Now, let me say this to start, it is in no way a bad car. With that said, I do find the e46 to be a more refined car. There are small things that I find with it that seem less well thought out than with the BMW. What do you ask?

The parking brake lever is under the center armrest, is awkward to pull, and actually contacts the armrest when it's applied. In the e46 it is easy to pull, and the armrest is actually notched to clear the lever.

It doesn't feel as smooth as the e46. The turbo 4 is a bit rougher and noisier. Some of the noise is due to the direct injection, I'm sure. I find I miss the instant throttle and torque of the silky BMW I6. The Audi may actually be faster and makes more horsepower, but there is a slight delay when you drop your foot until the turbo spools up.

The controls overall are lighter. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a change. The pedals, the steering, the gear shift is all lower input.

The cargo area panels are lower quality. I know I said this before, but I feel the need to say it again. It has the side access panels like the e46, but they are so much thinner material, and don't latch nearly as well as the e46.

It just doesn't seem quite as ergonomic as the e46. Placement of controls, access of the dash display info, etc. It took me a good bit of fiddling to get reasonably comfy in it, and I'm still not as comfy as in the e46.

Now, I also may be biased, as I've been driving an e46 for almost 6 years, now. With that said, I also prefer the styling of the e46 over the B7 Audi A4. I venture you all feel the same, as you're here! Here's a bit of the Audi by itself and with the BMW, and of the LATCH anchor issue. Apparently Graco seats don't agree with an Audi Avant.

It's a maintenance nightmare. Iirc to replace the turbos (and they will need replacement at some point) you start by removing the nose of the car.

If you are looking for a new wagon, look at the F31 gasoline for power, diesel for impressive economy.

That's probably what mine is about to be replaced with, it needs too much work that will require it to be out of service for a week or so. (Dead blower motor and a water leak for the Last year I can't track down, only when system is pressurized and hot. It's external, thinking heater hose to block possibly)

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring

Last edited by Onizukachan; 08-26-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #278
yjsaabman

Any turbo will eventually wear out. Removing the nose of a VW/Audi product is never that difficult, as it is standard fare for a lot of the maintenance items.

Not looking to replace to e46, this would be the wife's, if it happened. It wouldn't even replace the MINI, just be additional. F31 cars are out of our budget, at this point in time, also. And it would be up to her, and I don't really think a BMW is even on her radar.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #279
yjsaabman

It's really just a fun comparison between two cars from the same era and class.

The Touring has chewed the inside out of another RR tire in a single summer season. Further proof not to trust our alignment machine at work. I can see the thread difference between the LR and RR adjustable lower arms. I can also see a visual difference between the rear wheels/tires in relation the the fronts. No time to adjust it tonight, but it needs to be done soon.

Also found my coolant leak. Despite my efforts to prevent the typical Wahler t-stat leak around the sensor, mine is leaking. I definitely won't be using a Wahler again.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #280
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Yeah, it may sound like a big deal, YoU hAvE To tAkE tEh nOsE oF tEh CaR oFf!!!1!!, but they designed it as part of so many engine maintenance items and they've been doing it for so long now that it's really not that big of a deal at all.

Audi parts pricing however, that's enough to keep me away from an out of warranty car!
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote