My new Touring - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #41
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
As I stated previously, mine were over sensitive. Most likely due to the aftermarket windshield, but regardless, they would auto themselves to low speed in a mist. Everyone has a different opinion and likes different things. Even what speed they like their wipers on. Both me and my dad hated the auto wipers on his 2005 Passat, as well.

Last edited by yjsaabman; 01-22-2017 at 10:08 AM.
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #42
yjsaabman

Yesterday I took a few minutes for this touring before tearing apart more of its predecessor. I'd seen a pic or two previously of carbon fiber trim on a sand, or other light brown interior, and decided to install mine to see how it sat with me. I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would. The dark color really gives a nice contrast. Still probably going to hold onto the wood trim, but going to stick with the carbon wrapped set for a while.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #43
sweet jones

My Ride: CLK, S54 E46 Touring
I do like the contrast of the dark against the sand interior. Lovely car and looking forward to more pics of it.
S54/6 speed, FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff, M3 suspension, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, CSL brakes, , 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust.
sweet jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #44
yjsaabman

So today I scheduled the car to go in to have the lower door trim wrapped in matte black to match the upper shadow line trim, as well as to have the tail lights tinted.

It was also super nice out so I had some windows down and the sunroof open. I found out that the rear window screens don't like to stay in with the window down over about 40 mph. Good info to have!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #45
yjsaabman

So, I'll post these here, as well, to keep all the mods documented in one place. Had the car to the tint and vinyl shop yesterday to finish the shadow line trim and have the tail lights lightly tinted. Very pleased with the results. I technically still need to swap the OEM rain gutter on the right side, but need to replace some clips first. I'll document that process. I'll be removing what I need from a donor rain gutter.

Anyways, on with the pics! The warm weather we've been having almost makes me want to put the summer rollers back on!

I hope to have an upgrade in the front bumper department by spring, as well as some new headlight lenses. Taking a drive and picking up a 6 speed for the car tomorrow. Will still need to pick up some things before it goes in, like a single mass flywheel conversion and clutch upgrade. Also a short shifter and linkage rebuild while it's out and easy to access. So far the part out of the last wrecked Touring has paid for the 6 speed.

Last edited by yjsaabman; 02-24-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #46
yjsaabman

Today's mission accomplished. Drove around 400 miles to fetch this, and am excited to have it in my possession. Picked up my ZHP 6 speed trans and driveshaft.

Going to need to use the front half of the 6 speed driveshaft and the rear half of the 325 driveshaft, most likely. The 330 6 speed uses a 6 bolt flange with a cv joint, while the 325 5 speed uses a 4 bolt flange with a u-joint. Was planning on replacing the center support anyways.

Also going to source a short shifter and rebuild the linkage in the process. I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few pieces, so once I have the rebuild kit I forsee ordering a few bits from the dealer with the help of RealOEM.

I also plan to upgrade to the larger 330 clutch with a single mass flywheel conversion. More parts to buy and more research to do, but I'm in no rush. Just want to make sure I have everything before I tear into it.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #47
Just A Wagon

My Ride: 2001 330I TOURING
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
Today's mission accomplished. Drove around 400 miles to fetch this, and am excited to have it in my possession. Picked up my ZHP 6 speed trans and driveshaft.

Going to need to use the front half of the 6 speed driveshaft and the rear half of the 325 driveshaft, most likely. The 330 6 speed uses a 6 bolt flange with a cv joint, while the 325 5 speed uses a 4 bolt flange with a u-joint. Was planning on replacing the center support anyways.

Also going to source a short shifter and rebuild the linkage in the process. I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few pieces, so once I have the rebuild kit I forsee ordering a few bits from the dealer with the help of RealOEM.

I also plan to upgrade to the larger 330 clutch with a single mass flywheel conversion. More parts to buy and more research to do, but I'm in no rush. Just want to make sure I have everything before I tear into it.

So jealous! I wanted to do this while I was building my wagon just wasn't in the budget so I went with the 5 speed and regret it everyday... with the 330 swap and the 3.46 diff I need a 6th gear!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 02-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #48
yjsaabman

So I've been informed the hybrid shaft won't work, how the shafts are joined is different. Looks like I will be swapping to the cv flange for input side of the diff. I'll look into it and see for sure.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #49
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
That's what I was thinking also, but then I was worried I was remembering e34s instead of e46s.

Swapping the input flange is the way to go, or swapping the whole diff. But I don't think you got the diff did you?

Maybe someone put a 330 diff into their 325 and has a spare flange as a result?

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #50
yjsaabman

I'm going to check the price through BMW. And I did confirm the shafts are different and I can't build a hybrid.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #51
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Put up a wanted in classifieds or ask in general?

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #52
yjsaabman

Like I said, I'm going to check some prices for new, as well as check some junkyards. If I come up empty, I'll post something here. I'm in no big rush, I need to save the funds for the clutch setup.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #53
Obioban

My Ride: 05 M3, 01 M5, M3iT
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
I think I would have put up the net in the behind front seat position with that in my trunk!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #54
yjsaabman

It was strapped down with two ratchet straps, it wasn't going anywhere. And the net (which is part of the cargo cover which wasn't in the car) wouldn't have done much to stop it. Secure cargo is something I take very seriously. BMW gave use excellent tie down points for a reason.

Last edited by yjsaabman; 02-27-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:58 AM   #55
Obioban

Quote:
It was strapped down with two ratchet straps, it wasn't going anywhere. And the net (which is part of the cargo cover which wasn't in the car) wouldn't have done much to stop it. Secure cargo is something I take very seriously. BMW gave use excellent tie down points for a reason.

Agreed on the trans, but the sway bar and drive shaft it could help with an look to not be strapped down.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Old 02-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #56
Just A Wagon

My Ride: 2001 330I TOURING
Quote:

OH.... MY..... GOD!!!! Mind blown. I have always seen pics of the net up when he seats are folded and I could of sworn I read it was an additional net you had to buy but after reading your post it hit me... always wondered what those plastic tabs on the back of the seat were for! The cargo net slides into those and the net attaches to the additional roof hooks in the front! BOOM!!!! Lmao
Just A Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #57
Dude8383

My Ride: 91 332iS, 00 323iT/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Agreed on the trans, but the sway bar and drive shaft it could help with an look to not be strapped down.
its not like he was racing this stuff back home... and its not like that stuff is fragile.
Dude8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #58
Obioban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Wagon View Post
OH.... MY..... GOD!!!! Mind blown. I have always seen pics of the net up when he seats are folded and I could of sworn I read it was an additional net you had to buy but after reading your post it hit me... always wondered what those plastic tabs on the back of the seat were for! The cargo net slides into those and the net attaches to the additional roof hooks in the front! BOOM!!!! Lmao

I've actually shown that feature, for the first time, to many wagon owners! Seems like most people don't realize it exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude8383 View Post
its not like he was racing this stuff back home... and its not like that stuff is fragile.
driveshaft to the back of the head can kill you in a 20mph crash. Effort involved in moving the net is low.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #59
yjsaabman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Wagon View Post
Yeah, totally missed that aspect of it!

However, I still don't feel that net would do a damned thing to keep something like a driveshaft from doing damage. I guess a false sense of security helps some people.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #60
yjsaabman

Got a flat yesterday morning. The valve stem was old and cracked. Car still has the original Dunlop full size spare from 2003. It's still round, and has tread, and holds air, but the rubber is hard as a rock! It got me to work, though.

While in the back for the tire changing tools I confirmed another aspect of the European delivery. The warning triangle is present in the left rear.

After fixing my flat (I replaced the valve stem and mounted a decent used snow tire) I got my Meyle HD FCAs ready to install in the car. These arms have somewhere between 35k and 40k on them in about 3 years. One of the inner ball joints showed some play, and is being replaced under warranty. I replaced the other because I had a hell of a time removing it from the old subframe and damaged the threads. They pressed out and in easily with a ball joint press. Definitely a nice alternative to having to replace an entire arm. The single ball joint was less than $50 from my favorite local parts broker.

And just a fun shot of it with my buddy's A4 Avant.