Building a Hay Wagon - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #41
sweet jones

My Ride: CLK, S54 E46 Touring
awesome thread and looking forward to the updates. i'm also thinking of just buying a parts car because they're just so cheap nowadays and can end up making your money back by parting all the extra stuff.
S54/6 speed, FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff, M3 suspension, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, CSL brakes, , 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust.
sweet jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #42
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet jones View Post
awesome thread and looking forward to the updates. i'm also thinking of just buying a parts car because they're just so cheap nowadays and can end up making your money back by parting all the extra stuff.
Thanks! Hopefully people enjoy the thread as much as I enjoy sharing my tinkering on this old german money sink. More importantly I hope to contribute to the knowledge base and help some folks out with their builds.

If you have the space. A parts car is worth it. We have an excess of space, so having parts and carcases strewn all over isn't a problem. You do have to be picky with price and condition to some extent. I don't buy any car for more than $600. Looking for cars with small amouts of damage but still run are great. As are ones that need specific things, brake jobs, bad suspension, rusty body. If it doesn't run or drive, I can't easily evaluate the drivetrain and my price is cut in half..

If you only have a garage... I wouldn't recommend it. Parts take up a huge amount of space. As does ripping the parts off, also requires a full set of tools, pullers, bolt and nut extractors etc..

I have lots more content to post, just not enough time to put together writeups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
You know, if I still lived in Rochester, I'd go ahead and take delivery for you and meet you in Niagara Falls or Toronto. Unfortunately, (well fortunately for me) I live in Houston now, and that's just a bit too long a trip.

I love Ontario and at one time spent so much time there I think I was honorary Canadian, eh? I raced there and went to racing school there and could sing O' Canada without outside help (not that many Yanks can say that).
We talking auto racing or are you one of those ski race brats?
If you do happen to come back up to the civilized world ***128521; feel free to stop by.

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-09-2017 at 10:05 AM.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #43
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayWagon View Post
We talking auto racing or are you one of those ski race brats?
If you do happen to come back up to the civilized world ***128521; feel free to stop by.

I raced karts at Goodwood and Leamington (near Detroit). I went to the Spenard-David Racing School in Shannonville. My instructor was David Empringham. He was 2x (almost 3x) pro Formula Atlantic champion and Indy Lights champion.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #44
HayWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
I raced karts at Goodwood and Leamington (near Detroit). I went to the Spenard-David Racing School in Shannonville. My instructor was David Empringham. He was 2x (almost 3x) pro Formula Atlantic champion and Indy Lights champion.
Oh man. I wish I got into karts when I was young. Looks like soo much fun.
Leamington.. tomato town!
I do manage to get to the states at least once a year for turkey day. Have a bunch of family outside Detroit... I hate to say it but I'm technically only a first generation Canadian. My blood isn't maple syrup.. but I do wear shorts and a tshirt to -5*C...

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-09-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #45
HayWagon

Yaaaa! Got goodies in the mail!
ECS level 2 rear end bushing refresh with rear shock plates and RTAB limiters. Happy day.
I don't own a master bushing removal tool for an E46. I'll likely try and use my 20T shop press. I'll also be buying a lathe so I can spin up some properly sized collars, or build my own bushing toolkit.

On a real pissoff note...
I've done plenty of deals with people on Kijiji (canadian craigslist), most of them great, some weird.. but none truly bad.
I finally met an asshole goof. I was looking for another partscar and found a clean looking 330 coupe with a 6 speed and KWs. Photos looked great and to quote "runs great just needs an O2 sensor for rough idle".

Naturally I jump on it and talk him down on price a bit. Go rent a trailer, and drive 3 1/2 hours to pick up the car.
Whole front end paint looked to be buffed with a scotchbrite, broken headlight, rusted quarters, nasty idle.
Guy goes on to tell me the engine was swapped in not long ago and only has 48km, and only needs an O2 sensor, and it drives good but wont go over 4k rpm...
Listened to the engine for a couple seconds, at least one cylinder with consistent misfire. Wiring under the hood was half connected with duct tape.
Out of curiosity I opened the expansion tank, not a drop of coolant.. and that's when the white smoke out the tailpipe started.
The goof wouldn't budge on the price. Cost me 3 hours, gas and a trailer to see a rusted out claptrap with a blown head gasket and god knows what else.

He is going to scam someone not as knowledgeable as myself...
**** that guy.

Sent from my XT1563 using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-16-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #46
HayWagon

Started work on the rear end, hoped to have the rear shock swapped out and finished today.. nope.
Here is what was left of the original shocks after 15 years of Canadian winters.

The exploded shock came apart completely!

yjsaabman stepped up to the plate after I posted about my blown shock and sent me these. Super stoked! Fantastic condition, very excited to have working dampeners again.

Dear god it is a giant pain to get at the rear strut mounts in a Touring. I was warned it was a pain in the ass, but didn't fully understand how much of a pain it is.
It was also suggested I use the rouge mounts which allows changing shocks from outside the car. Since I had already ordered mounts, and plates I did a bit of kludging.

I pressed out the studs from the old mounts. Inserted them into the ECS tower plates and bolted them tight. A couple welds, some sand blasting, paint and tada! This should be the last time I ever have to take the rear interior apart.

These customized plates will be done up with some nice bright Key Lime green, same as the exhaust and strut bar.

It turned out I'm still in need of new bump stops. Kinda put a hold on the suspension work.
I figured I'd try and address the odd knocking from the shifter. My original hypothesis was the transmission mounts were very bad and allows the driveshaft to tap the bottom of the shift lever. Removed the exhaust, heat shield and trans support. The transmission bushings were definitely not the best, but I think I found the major cause of the issue. A near destroyed guibo. I had noticed a small crack in the guibo when I did the exhaust a couple months ago and ordered a replacement. I'm amazed how quickly it went from a hairline crack to this.

Old guibo out, new one in. I also put in the new polyurethane transmission bushings. Nice looking parts, hopefully they will tighten things up a bit.

I also picked up a new toy. 7"x12" lathe. Just big enough for E46 type stuff. I plan to turn up some delrin shift bushings, and a master bushing tool for my eventual full rear end refresh. I may even make some of the parts available to all you fine folks.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #47
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Yeah, the lack of bumpstops in the "master install kit" is a bit annoying. And I did the same thing with my ECS rear plates! Worked a treat, though I haven't welded mine. I did use some green loctite on the studs. I'm going to check them and see how I feel, I may end up welding them, yet, just to be sure they stay in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #48
HayWagon

Got my box of bits from ECS... everything there except a pair of 16mm washers I forgot to add.
Mini lathe to the rescue! Turned up a pair of washers to spec and assembled the rear shocks.

I did run into a roadblock with the front struts. Since the H&R struts I have were still in good shape, they had a full charge which held the piston position firm. My princess auto spring compressor couldn't get near tight enough to get the tophat on. Had another 1.5" to go!
I really try to avoid sending out work for the wagon... but mechanic is great. Just dropped a box full of font struts off with them. They have a big boy compressor.

Since I couldn't do much more until the struts were assembled, I took the opportunity to screw with magic pixies.
Installed a USB jack in place of the cigarette socket. 5 minutes with a dremal and a new connector, I now have an oem looking usb jack for all my charging needs!

Also got word from the sandblaster that my winter rims are ready to go.
I'm toying with the idea of finishing them in the dark gunmetal BMW uses on wheels now. Ferric Grey 2 I believe. Anyone have input on wheel colour?

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-23-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #49
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
On the front struts I've found the key is to put the top arms of the spring compressor on top of the upper spring hat to get them compressed enough.

yjsaabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #50
HayWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
On the front struts I've found the key is to put the top arms of the spring compressor on top of the upper spring hat to get them compressed enough.

Genius!
I'll have to remember that for next time.. or if my mechanic isn't as clever as I think he is.
Can't thank you enough for the dampers.
Really excited to drive a e46 with a functioning suspension.

Once I get the car rolling, and have time to play with the lathe I'll make up some pieces. Aluminum or delrin shift bushings, maybe a solid diff or trans mount. I'll send you some... guinea pig.

Sent from my XT1563 using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-23-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #51
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Mind if I ask why you didn't just get a $5 2.4 amp charger that fits flush?

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #52
HayWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Mind if I ask why you didn't just get a $5 2.4 amp charger that fits flush?
Not a fan of those things. Irritating when I try to disconnect, but the adapter comes with the cable. Now the socket is mounted nice and solid.

Plus it was like $4.. And my current car charger is garbage... and it was a good excuse to tinker.

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-23-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #53
HayWagon

While I wait for my mechanic to put together the front struts... figured I'd start the ongoing battle against rust.

The sills had a few rock chips which had started to rust. Got out the handy spot sand blaster and went whole hog.

Got myself a 2k epoxy rattle can and primed.

The second point of attack was the wheel wells. The rear wells had significant rusting, ideally I would have cut and replaced but Ill wait to do that when the car gets a full respray. The sandblaster wasn't enough to clear all the rust in the wells. A few coats of rust converter did the trick, then more epoxy primer and then undercoat.

I also hit the rear strut tower mounts which had some rust as well. The last bit was the underbody. The four "drain?" holes in the floor pan had become unplugged at some point. Same process, sandblast, rust converter, epoxy primer, undercoat for the wells and paint for the mounts.

With all the under car work done, next up is the sills and trying to get it to look somewhat passable...
Not looking forward to it.

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-28-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #54
HayWagon

Still waiting on my mechanic to assemble the struts.. must be slammed.

Paint work finished up. The spray bomb was matched to the OEM steel grey metallic. Of course, 14 years does things to car paint.. resulting in the spray bomb being a bit darker than the rest of the car. It looks great in the door jambs and sills, but I wouldn't use it on any exposed body panels. I'll leave the car for a few more days to let the paint cure, then buff it out.

Did a bunch of turning on the new lathe. Spun up all the bushing removal tools I'll need to do the rear end bushing refresh. Luckily I have an extra E46 rear end, all of it is getting blasted and powder coated before the new bushings go in.
Couldn't get the ideal size tube for the tool.. lots of material taken off.

And the finished products! Really pleased with myself, I haven't run a metal lathe since highschool.

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-31-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #55
DjDom

My Ride: E46
Year: 2006
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 6 M/T
Looks like you're having a lot of fun up there with this car, lol.

How do the shipping/import fees from ECS not kill your wallet?
DjDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #56
HayWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDom View Post
Looks like you're having a lot of fun up there with this car, lol.

How do the shipping/import fees from ECS not kill your wallet?
Lots of fun, have some long term plans for the wagon.
Have to get all the work done I can before winter. We have a frost warning overnight

I tend to order everything I need at once. Import charges aren't an issue if it is sent via USPS.
I don't use UPS, their fees are by far the worst. FedEx isn't as bad, but still sucks.
For little things ECS shipping is rediculous, $50 shipping for a couple washers.

But, even with the exchange rate, shipping and duty it still comes out cheaper than the local parts store.
As far as I know we don't have anyone like ECS or FCP up here.

.....unless you have a hookup I should know about

Last edited by HayWagon; 08-31-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:54 PM   #57
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
OP do you have any measurement on bushing removal tools? I may try to make some myself
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #58
HayWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
OP do you have any measurement on bushing removal tools? I may try to make some myself
These are tools to be used with a hydraulic press. I'm working on outer sleeves so they can be used with a blot without a press (like the various bushing tools commercially sold).
These haven't been tested, may be a bit too tight but I think they will work ok.

Diff rear bush:68.20
Diff side bush:46.55
Subframe:69.52
Upper control arm bush:34.9
Control arm ball joints:44.45

It was pretty basic to design them. I have the rear refresh bushing set, took the OD from the various bushings and reduced the value by 1-0.5mm.
The one I'm really worried about is the subframe, I have one tool for both front and rear.. which are slightly different sized bushings.

You're in the GTA? Drop me a line if you ever come up north, handful of ok roads around here. (and got a bunch of e46 parts I want to move on)

Last edited by HayWagon; 09-01-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #59
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayWagon View Post
These are tools to be used with a hydraulic press. I'm working on outer sleeves so they can be used with a blot without a press (like the various bushing tools commercially sold).
These haven't been tested, may be a bit too tight but I think they will work ok.

Diff rear bush:68.20
Diff side bush:46.55
Subframe:69.52
Upper control arm bush:34.9
Control arm ball joints:44.45

It was pretty basic to design them. I have the rear refresh bushing set, took the OD from the various bushings and reduced the value by 1-0.5mm.
The one I'm really worried about is the subframe, I have one tool for both front and rear.. which are slightly different sized bushings.

You're in the GTA? Drop me a line if you ever come up north, handful of ok roads around here. (and got a bunch of e46 parts I want to move on)
Nope Seattle, WA so I guess you would be very east and a little south of me. I would be using mine with a shop press also so that's perfect. Keep me/us posted on the other subframes bushing. Thanks for the measurements.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #60
HayWagon

Yaaa! Haywagon back on the road!

Did the ECS shifter refresh kit while I was buttoning everything up. Kinda dissapointed with the delrin bushings provided by ECS.
The bushings are designed to take slop out of the shifter... if the bushing was the correct size. The bushings were undersized by about half a mm, allowing noticable play between the bushing and the shift support rod. Quick and dirty fix, a layer of electrical tape took the slop out.. but still... come on. I've been in manufacturing, QA isn't hard. Simple go-no-go guage and call it a day.

Unfortunately it's been raining all day and I haven't had a chance to put the H&Rs to the test, but just rolling around town felt much more planted.

No change in power delivery with new fuel filter. Although my mileage gauge is indicating poorer mileage than before...weird.

NVH is up a fair bit with the poly transmission bushings. But no more shift linkage hitting the transmission output flange!
With the trans mounts and the shift refresh kit, shifts are super slick and lots of mechanical feedback. Shlink, shlink, shlink.

Last edited by HayWagon; 09-06-2017 at 05:07 PM.