Mark's S54 Touring Build - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #21
///Mark_D

My Ride: 04 325i & 02 325iT
Anybody ever have any luck finding out where a salvage car ends up after being sold on auction sites like Copart or IAA?

I saw this 330i with Mtech side skirt panels sell this week and was hoping to figure out what salvage yard it went to so I could go pull them off. They are extra tough to find in electric red. I called Copart in Milwaukee but was told it was sold through a broker and the lady wouldn't give out the info. Any ideas on how I might go about tracking this thing down?

(Previous user name mjdehlin)
///Mark_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #22
jagmandan

My Ride: E46 325xit -> 330xit
I tracked down my wife's totaled Volvo by googling the VIN. It may take some time for it to show up, and may never depending on how much data the individual yard exposes, but I'd try that periodically as a start.
jagmandan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #23
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Not the car you're looking for but I found one similar searching ror rocker moldings on car-part.
https://cpprohomeoh.car-part.com/ima...%23%20160055#1
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #24
///Mark_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmandan View Post
I tracked down my wife's totaled Volvo by googling the VIN. It may take some time for it to show up, and may never depending on how much data the individual yard exposes, but I'd try that periodically as a start.
That's a really good idea, I just checked and nothing on it so far, but considering it just sold i'm guessing it would take a while to actually make it to a salvage yard / pick and pull type place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
Not the car you're looking for but I found one similar searching ror rocker moldings on car-part.
https://cpprohomeoh.car-part.com/ima...%23%20160055#1
Wow, thanks for finding this one. I'll definitely hit this place up and see if I can get more info. It's tough to tell from the photos but the LH side looks like it might have gotten crunched along with the front fender.

It's been tough to find in red since the skirts would have to come off of a 330i with the MTech body kit but not on a ZHP since those got painted Imola red instead of Electric/Japan red.

Worst case I'll just have to find a set of side skirts in a different color and paint them with the front and rear bumpers.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #25
VpointVick

FWIW, the ones that I got that looked pretty good on the car were pretty chewed up on the underside, as were mine when I pulled them off. Might be as well off to just figure on painting them as they're on a pretty hazardous part of the car.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #26
///Mark_D

Quote:
FWIW, the ones that I got that looked pretty good on the car were pretty chewed up on the underside, as were mine when I pulled them off. Might be as well off to just figure on painting them as they're on a pretty hazardous part of the car.
You make a pretty good point there. Salvage yard cars especially seem to get a lot more damage on these rocker panels from getting moved around by a fork lift. Seems like the first thing to go are the wheels due to the aluminum scrap value. Once those are off cars are left sitting there on the ground.

I'm hoping to get down to southern WI sometime this week and get a few other interior parts. This guy parting out cars may also have a ZHP that I could get the Mtech sills from.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #27
///Mark_D

Parts hording continues...

Last week I met up with a seller I found on craigslist to get a bunch of parts for my black interior swap. I pulled pretty much everything rearward of the back seats. A few pieces were missing like the cargo cover roll shade and one of the RH lower trunk inserts, but other than that it was a pretty complete car. It was super rusty and had somewhere near 245,000 miles but the inside was in good shape.

One thing I'm not sure how I'll address yet for my 2 tone interior swap is how to get the black seat backs onto my current gray seats. I want the interior to look like a factory natural brown interior but gray. The rear seats don't look like they are easily disassembled to be able to swap over the black seat backs I have onto my existing gray seats. It's looking like I may have to just dye the carpet sections on the back to match the rest of the rear cargo area. Here's how the factory natural brown interior looks where the brown seats meet the black carpet. Anybody have any other ideas on how to accomplish this but w/ gray seats?

Last edited by mjdehlin; 12-17-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #28
Steve M3

My Ride: E46s
Jealous of your black interior swap. I would like to find those parts for my car as well eventually. The rear hatch area is actually the most confusing part as I wasn't sure what to do about the seat backs either. Looking forward to a solution that isn't masking them off and spraying them with dye

Last edited by Steve M3; 12-17-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #29
///Mark_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Jealous of your black interior swap. I would like to find those parts for my car as well eventually. The rear hatch area is actually the most confusing part as I wasn't sure what to do about the seat backs either. Looking forward to a solution that isn't masking them off and spraying them with dye
The more i'm looking into it the more it seems like the only real option is to dye the rear section black unless I want to start cutting threads and sewing things back together.

I posted a link above to a factory set of gray/black 2 tone interior that was sold in Europe (https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...product=R12509) and you can see in the picture below how it's two different colors of leather sewn together where the carpet attaches.

I considered buying this whole interior but it looks like this euro option had a different color gray than the US and the $1000 w/ shipping to get it to the US didn't make sense to my budget.

I'm interested to see how your beige/black interior looks when it's done. Finding a donor car for the black trunk parts didn't turn out to be too bad, but I could have just gotten lucky with my timing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray-Black.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	763923  

Last edited by mjdehlin; 12-17-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #30
Mannydog

My Ride: -02 325XiT
Kind of a tangent, but I've been wondering how you get the forward side panels off (the ones that cover the wheel humps). I haven't spent a lot of time researching as it's not a big priority, but it wasn't super obvious when I looked a couple of months ago
Old 12-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #31
VpointVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannydog View Post
Kind of a tangent, but I've been wondering how you get the forward side panels off (the ones that cover the wheel humps). I haven't spent a lot of time researching as it's not a big priority, but it wasn't super obvious when I looked a couple of months ago
You have to unbolt seemingly every other part in the interior. It's a PITA, and why a lot of guys go out of their way to change upper shock mounts out to something that can be accessed from outside the car when they do it.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #32
///Mark_D

Quote:
You have to unbolt seemingly every other part in the interior. It's a PITA, and why a lot of guys go out of their way to change upper shock mounts out to something that can be accessed from outside the car when they do it.
Yeah you're right, the two big forward panels that cover the shock mounts (w/ the speaker panels) are some of the last pieces to come out. There is an oval toplock nut that secures one of the upper mounting points that is below the seatbelt reel decorative cover which secures the underlying reel bracket. That nut plus two torx head screws in the roller cover mount have to be removed to pull up on the roller cover bracket mount before the big carpeted panel can be removed.

I read through all the TIS documentation for the whole rear of the car before I went out to pull the parts. Here's the page for that particular panel:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-panel/AM4Gnrz

The rearward carpeted panels have to come out as well, and to get those out you have to remove the D pillar covers, and to get those out you have remove the plastic cover along the bottom of the hatch, and it just cascades back from there.

All things considered, I completely gutted the whole rear of the car and also removed the seats and hatch window trim and the whole process took me just about an hour. It was about 30 degrees outside so I was motivated to finish quickly.

The rear seats were the only thing that gave me a little trouble. The two torx bit screws that hold down the center hinge between the two seats were pretty rusty so the heads were starting to strip. Those looked like they had some loctite on the threads from the factory so a little heat may have helped.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cility/AXHZe3l

Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #33
///Mark_D

Not much for updates here lately besides more parts gathering. I've also been picking up a bunch of extra parts at the junk yard for cheap selling those on eBay to fund purchasing more parts for my actual build. So far I've made a few hundred bucks selling stuff and offset the cost of my wagon build a little. I'm out hunting in the yards for wagon parts anyway so it's pretty easy to grab extra stuff that I think will sell.

The other day my wife was out of town and I finally got a picture of my sedan and the wagon parked next to each other in the garage. Not really a flattering pic by any means, but that will have to wait until spring when the road salt is gone.

Last edited by mjdehlin; 01-11-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 PM   #34
markseven

My Ride: BMW M Power
Subscribed! Great work thus far... looking forward to updates.
markseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #35
///Mark_D

Not much for updates lately, just spending more time in the local salvage yards (weather permitting) picking parts. My parts hoarding pile has grown quite a bit and I've been making a few bucks selling stuff on eBay.

I also created some stainless steel mounting tabs to fix a few interior parts. These are designed to glue in place on the back of the interior hatch trim pieces to replace the broken plastic tabs. I used some 3M WindoWeld adhesive and pretty sure the glue is stronger than the plastic it's adhered to. I made the rectangular base of the tab the same size as the witness mark from the injection molding tooling on the back side of the interior panels so it's easy to line up where they need to go. I'll try and get some better photos posted so you guys can see what I mean.

I'm also planning on heading down to Chicago sometime this week to get some MTech side skirts and possibly a few other parts. Hopefully going to hit a few few salvage yards along the way too and see if I can find more E46's.

Last edited by mjdehlin; 02-19-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #36
velofinds

My Ride: 330it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdehlin View Post
The other day my wife was out of town and I finally got a picture of my sedan and the wagon parked next to each other in the garage. Not really a flattering pic by any means, but that will have to wait until spring when the road salt is gone.

This is sweet Are they both keepers? (at least for the foreseeable future)
Old 02-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #37
///Mark_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post
This is sweet Are they both keepers? (at least for the foreseeable future)
Yeah they are both definitely keepers. The 04 sedan is my current daily driver....it's got some rust that is beginning to grow but mechanically it's solid. I plan to keep driving it for at least a few more years. It just rolled 285,000 miles and I should hit 300k by around September.

The 02 wagon is parked for the winter to avoid the same rusty fate as the sedan. I'll probably start driving it in the spring and that will be my new daily until I find an M3 donor for the engine swap. Then I'll go back to the sedan while I'm building the wagon.

Wisconsin winters suck by the way.

E46, or prius?

Last edited by mjdehlin; 02-19-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #38
///Mark_D

I finally got a chance to do some work on the Wagon this week.

The seats are all slathered up with Leatherique and I parked the car out in the sun to let it soak in and float up all the dirt and grime. If you're not familiar w/ this product it's awesome stuff and cleans and conditions leather like nothing else. The follow up is to use the Leatherique Pristine Clean cleaner to wipe away all the dirt and grime that is released.

I've pretty much got all the parts I need for the 2-tone interior swap minus one rear trunk panel on the RH side that goes over the top of the battery, and I also still need black carpets. There are lots of junk yard cars around but they've been sitting so long that the carpets are all trashed. I gotta find a fresh car in the yard w/ black interior sometime this summer.

Most of this winter I've been hitting up the salvage yards for other parts and extra stuff to sell on eBay. I've made a pretty decent chunk of money to put towards buying the donor M3 for my swap. If anybody needs a full factory alarm system (Ultrasonic sensor, Tilt Sensor and Siren) I've got about a dozen sets of parts that are ready to go.

Anyway, I'm hoping to start posting updates more regularly now that it's finally warmed up. I think the next thing I'm going to do is modify the black door panels I have to swap in the gray leather inserts from my stock set of door panels.

I'm hoping to get the license plates for this thing soon so I can actually drive it. I got the registration in the mail the other day but the personalized plates take a couple of weeks. I probably shouldn't have waited so long to send in all the paperwork

Last edited by mjdehlin; 05-16-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #39
///Mark_D

Found another wagon in a local salvage yard for pulling a few more parts. This one is a 2000 323i in silver w/ gray interior.

I wasn't allowed to pull any parts myself but I was allowed to take a walk (supervised) through the yard and make a list of parts I wanted them to pull for me. They also have a few salvage E46 M3's, all were SMG cars and the engines have already been pulled and sold. Two were convertibles and the other was a hard top w/ sunroof so I'm having them pull the black sunroof shade w/ trim, front upper console and alarm cover for my black interior swap. I'm still on the hunt for my own donor M3 to buy on Copart / IAAI that isn't half way across the country.

I also FINALLY got my license plates on Friday so I can legally drive my car now. It took the WI DMV a full 6 weeks to issue the plates.

Anyway, here are some pics of that salvage 323i. I should have taken some pics of the M3's too but I was trying to be quick since I had a guy literally babysitting me as I walked through the yard.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and I also picked up a set of style 189 wheels last week from a guy on craigslist for only $150. Eventually I'm going to get some style 135 (ZHP) wheels, but for the price I couldn't turn these down. A couple have some pretty decent curb rash, but nothing that can't be fixed. I really like the style 119's that came on my sedan and the 189's are pretty similar but 18". I think they originally came on E90 335i's w/ sport package.

Last edited by mjdehlin; 06-10-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #40
AlpinaB3Touring

My Ride: 2003 320i MTEC2
Hi.
Makes me happy to see people doing serious reparation and modification on the Touring of E46.
I'm my self a Touring persona, I own:
1 Alpina B3 Touring Silver Met, Manual, sunroof.

1 320i Touring 2003 Silver Met, Full MSpec II, with Sports suspension 150000 km, My daily driver.

1 330Xi Touring 2002 Topaz Blue, 2 tone door cards (black/white) now undergoing transfer to my daily driver.
Just mounted all new bushings in the rear suspension, and about to change rear front wishbone bushing and struts and both front driveshafts
before prep for sale. I bought this car to take the complete Harman Kardon system including the cable stock under the floor mats and behind
door cards to upgrade my Alpina. The 330Xi after diet now has a standard C53 stereo system without any amplifier and no more speakers in
the rear doors and stock black door cards.
While I was working on this I started to really like the 2 tone door cards in the 330Xi, and now they are in my daily driver and perhaps I transfer them on to my Alpina
in the future, but I have more wild ideas for my Alpina, I want the Extended leather and blue/green stitching door cards. I have manage to source black handles with extended
leather, they are very rare for Sedan/Touring in Europe.

1 320i Touring 2001 Pre facelift Topaz Blue, 310000 km my friend and me bought this car for $350 and it was still in MOT and taxed. But was in limp mode for the
automatic gearbox, only 4'th gear was usable. Drove it home 3 hour, worked on it for 2 month when we had the time to spare, found no fault with gearbox, ordered
new databox on Ebay for $17 for the gearbox and VOILA, now works extremely well. Ripped out the complete HK sound system in this car also to use later in my friends Alpina B3 touring.
This car is now prepped for sale to a friend.
yes, we both own Alpina B3 touring, and they are both 354 Silver Metallic, and we did't know each other before we meet in the scrap yard looking for parts for the Alpina's.
His Alpina is a Automatic with no sunroof, but his car is in crazy super condition, 110000 km less then mine.

I think I can help finding parts for you US people who wane do similar swaps if we can solve the shipping issues. I have collected to many parts for my Alpina and other E46 Touring
during the last years. I also happens to have a scrap yard 10 min walking distance from my home in the middle of the city where I stay. lets just say I'm a regular customer there.
This scrapyard have webpage with 3 pictures of every car that comes in so you US people can even see what comes in and tell me if you need something.
In return I want some stuff from the US, like mirror with auto Dim, compass and HomeLink, none existent here in Sweden, also the receiver stuff for the HomeLink so I can open my garage door.
The round signs in the boot saying Prepared for Mobile Phone, Bluetooth and so on. OEM cable stock for the Auto Dim, Compass, Homelink out of a US car all the way down to the fuse box...

PM me.
AlpinaB3Touring is offline   Reply With Quote