E87 series door mirrors on our non M E46 iT's - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
doubleda

My Ride: 05 E46 Touring
E87 series door mirrors on our non M E46 iT's

I have seen some pics of guys with E87 style door mirrors on their cars. I like the look. M3 E46 mirrors look good... BUT. Mine is an 05 iT and have the ribbon style wiring harness. Can my 05 motors and wiring be swapped in to the E87 housings ?? I would like to hear from any of you all that may have done this swap and how much work was it and/or it is even possible. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by doubleda; 02-05-2019 at 09:45 PM.
doubleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
nextelbuddy

My Ride: e46 ZHP
Year: 2003
Model: 330i ZHP
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleda View Post
I have seen some pics of guys with E90 style door mirrors on their cars. I like the look. M3 E46 mirrors look good... BUT. Mine is an 05 iT and have the ribbon style wiring harness. Can my 05 motors and wiring be swapped in to the E90 housings ?? I would like to hear from any of you all that may have done this swap and how much work was it and/or it is even possible. Thanks for the help.
Please show us some pics would love to see them. I'll be honest, I do a lot of E46 m3 mirror retrofit for e46 Lin bus ribbon cable late model mirrors. I'm also familiar with pre LCI e90 mirrors.... The actual glass for the e90 pre LCI mirrors is the same exact glass size and dimensions for E46 M3.

I know this because pre LCI e90 mirrors actually came with auto dimming heated glass and I wish your fitted that into my E46 mirror housing conversion on my ribbon style E46 sedan.

the actual housing themselves don't line up anywhere close to the E46 sedan or coupe doors. E46 M3 housing / base plate is going to be the closest match.

When you say you've seen pictures would love to see them because I can't find anything online about it maybe you saw it on Instagram or eBay or something.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Djkrebsy

My Ride: 2003 325iT
Transmission: 6-speed Zf
I don't mean to "hijack this thread", but I wanted to check in with anyone who is swapping the M3 mirrors with the stock E46 sedan mirrors.
To Nextelbuddy; I'm curious as to how you went about it.
Here's a description of how we've approached it:
I bought a pair of M3 mirrors, plus a pair of sedan mirrors. (Ribbon cable, just like the ones on my car.)
We altered the M3 mirrors to fit the wagon using the "Complete M3 mirror retrofit DIY for E46Fanatics sedan", by Adrian 320 on this website.
I used the tutorial entitled "Retrofit OEM M3 side mirrors doityourself", by cakM3, on the Zhp Mafia website to install the ribbon cable motors into the M3 mirror frames.
Once they were modified to fit the car, and converted to ribbon cable, we were ready to install them onto the car.

We used this approach so that the car was not disasssembled for a long time while we prepped the mirrors. It was worth the $100. for a pair of stock ribbon cable mirrors, rather than use my mirrors. (Besides, I must admit, if it all went egg shaped, I could reinstall my mirrors!)

So we're now in the process of installing the modified mirrors. So far, so good. We've referred to Adrian 320's tutorial again for this part of the project. We have installed an extra screw in the front corner of the mirrors so that if anything caught under the front edge it wouldn't rip the mirror off.

Anyway, thanks to the brilliant people who developed the techniques to make these alterations possible.

Last edited by Djkrebsy; 08-18-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Djkrebsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #4
EvaJuli

My Ride: E46 325XiT
If only we could get the E87 in the US.
EvaJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #5
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkrebsy View Post
I don't mean to "hijack this thread", but I wanted to check in with anyone who is swapping the M3 mirrors with the stock E46 sedan mirrors.
To Nextelbuddy; I'm curious as to how you went about it.
Here's a description of how we've approached it:
I bought a pair of M3 mirrors, plus a pair of sedan mirrors. (Ribbon cable, just like the ones on my car.)
We altered the M3 mirrors to fit the wagon using the "Complete M3 mirror retrofit DIY for E46Fanatics sedan", by Adrian 320 on this website.
I used the tutorial entitled "Retrofit OEM M3 side mirrors doityourself", by cakM3, on the Zhp Mafia website to install the ribbon cable motors into the M3 mirror frames.
Once they were modified to fit the car, and converted to ribbon cable, we were ready to install them onto the car.

We used this approach so that the car was not disasssembled for a long time while we prepped the mirrors. It was worth the $100. for a pair of stock ribbon cable mirrors, rather than use my mirrors. (Besides, I must admit, if it all went egg shaped, I could reinstall my mirrors!)

So we're now in the process of installing the modified mirrors. So far, so good. We've referred to Adrian 320's tutorial again for this part of the project. We have installed an extra screw in the front corner of the mirrors so that if anything caught under the front edge it wouldn't rip the mirror off.

Anyway, thanks to the brilliant people who developed the techniques to make these alterations possible.
This is what I've done as well.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
nextelbuddy

My Ride: e46 ZHP
Model: 330i ZHP
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
This is what I've done as well.
Yes same.. not rocket science and pretty much the only way you can do it right to retain ribbon cable BUS system mirrors.