2003 Touring pricing guesstimate (5 spd) - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Nicad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 284
My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
2003 Touring pricing guesstimate (5 spd)

Any locals have a guesstimate what my 03 325It might bring on the open market and if it's options make it more valuable, burgeoning on collectible?
Description.
150,000 miles approximately
Looks good from 12 feet.
lots of stone chips, original windshield.
Good oil change history, smooth running, no smoke
Mystic Blue, 5 speed , sports package, Factory Xenon, No Sunroof, Factory Navi, HK, Headlight washers. Cdn spec.
Black Vinyl interior in average condition. Carpet a little tired.
I am thinking next to no 325 IT had the build mine has...(or very few)

Extras. 330 I brakes front and rear, 330I rear axles, Koni FSD, stock sports package springs. Turner sway bars. 2 sets of factory 17 inch alloys One with VG Michelin X Ice, the other with Conti Extreme summers.

The car has mostly original paint (Suspect front bumper skin was painted)
Lots of nicks and scratches.

The main reason I ask is a friend's car blew up and another friend knows my wagon is good and sitting in storage. He is encouraging the friend to buy the car. He just wants a cheap car and thinks $2000 Cdn sounds fair (That's $1522 USD). I'm of the opinion that it might be worth quite a bit more due to it being a great Color, no sunroof, sport pack with 5 speed.

Oh yeah, here's the negatives. Needs Rtabs bushings, new rear struts, parking brake cable, AC repair, rear defroster non functioning.
Suspension rebuilt 60K ago, cooling system 30 K ago.
Guesstimates of what it could bring greatly appreciated. Thanks.
__________________
2007 Forester XT ,1971 3.0 CS, 1999 Miata 10AE, 1966 Corvair Corsa, 1972 BMW 2002

Last edited by Nicad; 07-24-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
Bennett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California
Posts: 68
My Ride: e46 touring
I don't know the Canadian market, but in US I would guess between 3500 and 4500, assuming photos back up your description.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
Nicad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 284
My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I don't know the Canadian market, but in US I would guess between 3500 and 4500, assuming photos back up your description.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Thanks for your opinion.
__________________
2007 Forester XT ,1971 3.0 CS, 1999 Miata 10AE, 1966 Corvair Corsa, 1972 BMW 2002
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
blarf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,571
My Ride: 325iT, 540iT
Rule number one about selling a car you like: uncommon does not equal desirable. Typically things are rare because nobody wants them, and the vast majority of E46 buyers want sunroofs. If you can get KONI to warranty your rear shocks that would be a big win because the warranty is not transferable, unfortunately you probably already know it's a pain to do the rear shocks on a wagon (and KONI probably wants the old ones back before they send out replacements).

That said, if you were willing to sell it for $1500 US and it wasn't rusty (that's the big problem with Canadian cars) I'd buy it myself*in a heartbeat if only because I don't like the color of my current 325 (steel blue, bleh). There's also someone in the classified section looking for a slick top facelift wagon. Importing a 325 should be a breeze. The emissions sticker should already say 50 state US + California smog compliant, and the major difference safety-wise is probably the LATCH/ISOFIX stuff which wasn't phased in on Canadian cars until later (DOT doesn't care about that thankfully). Get a letter from BMW USA and Bob's your uncle.
__________________
Tooooools for rent
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
Nicad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 284
My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf View Post
Rule number one about selling a car you like: uncommon does not equal desirable. Typically things are rare because nobody wants them, and the vast majority of E46 buyers want sunroofs. If you can get KONI to warranty your rear shocks that would be a big win because the warranty is not transferable, unfortunately you probably already know it's a pain to do the rear shocks on a wagon (and KONI probably wants the old ones back before they send out replacements).

That said, if you were willing to sell it for $1500 US and it wasn't rusty (that's the big problem with Canadian cars) I'd buy it myself*in a heartbeat if only because I don't like the color of my current 325 (steel blue, bleh). There's also someone in the classified section looking for a slick top facelift wagon. Importing a 325 should be a breeze. The emissions sticker should already say 50 state US + California smog compliant, and the major difference safety-wise is probably the LATCH/ISOFIX stuff which wasn't phased in on Canadian cars until later (DOT doesn't care about that thankfully). Get a letter from BMW USA and Bob's your uncle.
It is very good rust wise for a Canadian car because I had it sprayed with Krown rust control each winter I owned it (10 years). But Canadian cars (other than BC or the far north) are way rustier than something from Georgia. I would probably not be looking for a Canadian car myself because I hate rusty steering lines, and underhood components. The hardest part of getting rid of it is that the platform is really quite unique in North America. RWD, IRS, manual , wagon.
I have to think these qualities will make it keep it's value. In the future will people values this more? For my daily I need high ground clearance, AWD, handling and am driving a Turbo Forester and it is doing great. That is what mothballed my wagon. Here is a link I posted here many months ago for reference.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1238785

BTW, I forgot I had listed this for sale with pricing hopes, etc more than a year ago. (I did buy the VStrom, decided against the Mercedes and still love the Miata)
__________________
2007 Forester XT ,1971 3.0 CS, 1999 Miata 10AE, 1966 Corvair Corsa, 1972 BMW 2002

Last edited by Nicad; 07-24-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #6
blarf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,571
My Ride: 325iT, 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicad View Post
It is very good rust wise for a Canadian car because I had it sprayed with Krown rust control each winter I owned it (10 years). But Canadian cars (other than BC or the far north) are way rustier than something from Georgia. I would probably not be looking for a Canadian car myself because I hate rusty steering lines, and underhood components. The hardest part of getting rid of it is that the platform is really quite unique in North America. RWD, IRS, manual , wagon.
I have to think these qualities will make it keep it's value. In the future will people values this more? For my daily I need high ground clearance, AWD, handling and am driving a Turbo Forester and it is doing great. That is what mothballed my wagon. Here is a link I posted here many months ago for reference.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1238785

BTW, I forgot I had listed this for sale with pricing hopes, etc more than a year ago. (I did buy the VStrom, decided against the Mercedes and still love the Miata)
Again, I wouldn't count on it appreciating much. In a few years (2025ish) we can import wagons from Europe more easily, and those that don't want a sunroof are few and far between. Those who don't want sunroofs will pay a premium, but the majority of E46 buyers who are looking at the E46 as a luxury car likely won't. But, the E46 is probably near the bottom of its deprecation curve. If you're willing to sit on it for a while then yeah prices will probably go up but I doubt that a slick top wagon will command much, if any, premium over other E46s with most buyers.

I imported my 540 from BC, and yeah it's rustier than most California cars although if you live out by the coast things rust regardless. My 325 came from LA and yeah there's some rust on the rear subframe.

For me something like Krown would be a mixed blessing (more holes, but probably less rust). At $1500 it would be very hard for me to pass up.

Did I read that right at 40k miles since last year??
__________________
Tooooools for rent

Last edited by blarf; 07-24-2019 at 08:36 PM.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
Nicad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 284
My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
No, I just guesstimated the mileage originally. Mileage is what he original ad states (It is in KM BTW) I drove it for a week in the Spring. Two winters ago I kept it on the road while my Son drove the Subaru, but he is off to Uni now and doesn't want insurance payments. I store the car across town in a garage, so don't visit it too often. My daughter probably wants a car at Uni, but I think I'd buy her a used Subaru for winter Highway use.
__________________
2007 Forester XT ,1971 3.0 CS, 1999 Miata 10AE, 1966 Corvair Corsa, 1972 BMW 2002
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:09 PM   #8
Righteous
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 9
My Ride: 2003 M3
Why were the front bumper and fender repainted? Was the car involved in an accident?
Righteous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:13 AM   #9
Filmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Valley Village, CA
Posts: 30
My Ride: 02 325iT
Year: 2002
Model: 325i Touring
Transmission: Auto
Nicad, you're asking an auto enthusiast group to opine on a value of a car model they're enthusiastic about. You're not going to get an answer that's realistic to those other people who look at it as "just an old station wagon". I would say that most of us put a value on our Tourings that is ~25% higher than what the buyer's market would provide. Also, we're not likely to sell our babies after putting care, $$$, blood, sweat and tears into them, so the respective $ value of our Tourings isn't up for negotiation - which keeps our perceived values high.

Until we have to sell a Touring out in the real world.

I'm not knocking anyone's opinion on your query. Just remember your responses probably won't be very objective.
__________________
Filmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:39 AM   #10
yjsaabman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 2,502
My Ride: '03 325i Touring
I think Bennett is in the right ball park with his estimate. If everything was in good working order you could probably ask as much as $5500 US, but with the attention it needs, the options, and the upgrades, a reasonable asking price is probably in the $3500-4000 US range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #11
Nicad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 284
My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
Why were the front bumper and fender repainted? Was the car involved in an accident?
I bought it that way quite a while ago. No idea. Can't find any bent metal and had it inspected by the body shop of a BMW dealer at the time of purchase.
__________________
2007 Forester XT ,1971 3.0 CS, 1999 Miata 10AE, 1966 Corvair Corsa, 1972 BMW 2002

Last edited by Nicad; 07-25-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #12
Nicad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 284
My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmy View Post
Nicad, you're asking an auto enthusiast group to opine on a value of a car model they're enthusiastic about. You're not going to get an answer that's realistic to those other people who look at it as "just an old station wagon". I would say that most of us put a value on our Tourings that is ~25% higher than what the buyer's market would provide. Also, we're not likely to sell our babies after putting care, $$$, blood, sweat and tears into them, so the respective $ value of our Tourings isn't up for negotiation - which keeps our perceived values high.

Until we have to sell a Touring out in the real world.

I'm not knocking anyone's opinion on your query. Just remember your responses probably won't be very objective.
Good points.
__________________
2007 Forester XT ,1971 3.0 CS, 1999 Miata 10AE, 1966 Corvair Corsa, 1972 BMW 2002
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #13
markseven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 368
My Ride: BMW M Power
Put it on BaT with no reserve (BaT may not accept it even if you set the reserve at $1500). If the pictures prove that the rust is surface / minimal, I am certain you will get more than $2K for her based on the configuration and that it's a slicktop.
markseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #14
malapane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 173
My Ride: E46 M3 & F30 320 ZSP
I would say the spec is pretty desirable for the touring market.

RWD, sport and manual seem to bring the premium with the enthusiasts. Also no sunroof is rare, practical and desirable by some.

Rust is everything though. This is a 16 year old car and no one will drop any significant money on something that will need constant rust chasing.

In the US, I have seen rust versions sell quickly in the 3 to 4k USD range, much over that and they need to be rust free.
malapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #15
HayWagon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Collingwood Ontario
Posts: 1,172
My Ride: 03 325iT
Ontario is the place to buy cheap E46s.
Given the low KMs, and unusual spec, $2.5-3k could sell quickly.

Check the Ontario E46 owners group on facebook.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.