E46 Touring - rear frame rails? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
W1zuhD

My Ride: 2004 VW R32
E46 Touring - rear frame rails?

Hi E46 Fam,

I am getting info for my next build, and I cannot escape the allure of the BMW Saloons/Wagons/ShootingBrakes/Tourings. I loved my 540 sport wagon but it was too bloated to race, dailying it was amazing.

I have been looking for images of what the naked rear interior is of an E46 touring and cannot find one that works. I am also interested in images from the underside.

Maybe realoem would have good enough diagrams?

Can someone link or post some images? I would love to have some measurements as well, front to back and side to side (frame rail to frame rail outside measurements)

Thanks in advance!
-W1z
W1zuhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
I've had a couple stripped down that far, but don't think I have any pics. You have to strip them out to replace the rear shocks if the car has factory upper mounts, so it would be a good opportunity for pics. They're starting to pop up in the salvage yards, might be a good way to get up close and personal before you dive into one of your own.

There are many options on the market for reinforcing the unibody structure, both inside and outside. Depending on how much track time you plan to do, tying a roll bar or cage into the rear vs a stand alone reinforcement bar would help a bunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is online now   Reply With Quote