just purchased my first BMW and its a wagon - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
90limited

just purchased my first BMW and its a wagon

Well, I drank the coolaid after reading up on the e46 BMW on this forum. So I went out and found me one. A 2001 325ix one owner with 89k miles. The upside is she is all original down to the cooling system. The downside is it's all original down to the cooling system...........

The buyer's guide was great, thanks to all who contributed to making it so informative. So my first question is what cold air intake should I buy?

Just joking... She needs front and rear suspension bushings in the worst way and also has some oil leaks to address. I will start with the valve cover gasket and the oil filter housing (I think it is). And of course the bushing. Once that is done I will update the cooling system. Radiator and all considering it is a 2001. Once those are done I will go down the top 10 failure list and start checking boxes off.....

I do have one question, on the highway when I let off the accelerator and cost, I get a growling sound. As soon as I give and throttle it goes away. From what little I've read on the net that is normal or can be made better with fluid change with an additive? If my mustang did that I would assume the rearend was getting ready to fail......

and
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4122.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	781789  

Last edited by 90limited; 08-15-2019 at 03:54 PM.
90limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Congrats on the new wagon. Is that Orient Blue Metallic?

While you're replacing the OFHG, consider also replacing the CCV parts as they're much more accessible.
Also replace all the vacuum hoses, caps, intake boots, etc. Vacuum leaks are common with old original rubber.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
90limited

yup. blue . Thanks for the advice.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
malapane

My Ride: E46 M3 & F30 320 ZSP
Congrats! Looks great. You will love it.

I'm not sure I would do the radiator. I have had lots of high mileage E46s and never had to replace a radiator. After getting burned by replacement parts failing, I have reduced the number of parts I replace just because I'm in there. I understand expansion tank, t-stat/housing, water pump and hoses, but I don't think I have had any other cooling system parts fail on me.

Have fun!
malapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
markseven

My Ride: BMW M Power
Congrats! You did well with your first Bimmer purchase.
markseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
90limited

Getting her back to where she needs to be...... Upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump, t-stat, expansion tank, lower expansion hose, expansion t-stat and plugs
Old 09-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
malapane

My Ride: E46 M3 & F30 320 ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90limited View Post
Getting her back to where she needs to be...... Upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump, t-stat, expansion tank, lower expansion hose, expansion t-stat and plugs
Nice, did you have good luck bleeding the air out? I find this to be the only common area for trouble for the whole cooling system job. I always get it eventually, but it is never as easy as it should be.
malapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
90limited

I thought I had all the air out but checked yesterday and she was a little low. Also, noticed that the upper radiator hose seems to be leaking a little around the connection as evidenced by the blue crust in that area........