Back in "Town" - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Back in "Town"

Hey y'all. Been on an extended break. When I logged in just now I realized the last day I was logged in here was the day I was laid off from a job I'd had for over 11 years. I really focused on the job hunt and being a creature of habit, I just never came back, for no other reason that having other focus.

I found out this week that a company is preparing an offer letter for me. On pins and needles waiting for it. What I'm hearing is very favorable, but just need to see the details and perhaps negotiate a little sweeter pot. The company does sex selection of livestock. I joke with my friends they make blow-up cows.

Just as exciting is I'm about to join the 3 liter club. I just bought a donor from auction today and George Hill is going to do the swap. I've always done my own work and originally planned on doing this one, but after meeting George a few months back, I'm delighted to have him do it for me. The new job will be an hour commute through God's Country. A very easy hour commute (as opposed to stop and go freeway traffic). The new swap is going to make this a lot of fun along with some other mods I've had planned that I'm going to reveal as they happen.

I'll start a thread for the swap once George picks up the car (it's conveniently located in the greater Austin area). I'm sure George will add stuff to his shop thread as well.

Just wanted to say Hi again and now to catch up around here.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Welcome back! Hopefully the job works out and I'm sure the swap will with George doing the work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
mjweimer

My Ride: 1995 M3 - 2001 325iT
Welcome back George. Sounds like a great project in the works. I can't wait to hear about the progress.

MJ
mjweimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
markseven

My Ride: BMW M Power
Geo, sorry to hear about the layoff, but am happy that it's behind you now.

I've always loved your wagon; in your sig pic it looks perfect.

Excited to see your project's progression.
markseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
Geo, sorry to hear about the layoff, but am happy that it's behind you now.

I've always loved your wagon; in your sig pic it looks perfect.

Excited to see your project's progression.
Thanks! You'll probably get to see it in person.

I really need to find a GOOD upholstery shop someone. They all seem to be flakes and inconsistent in their work. I was looking at the gallery for one shop last night and on one car EVERY panel in the seat they did had horrible wrinkles.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
Steve M3

My Ride: E46s
Everything happens for a reason and this might end up being the best thing that ever happened to you, best of luck!
Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
markseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Thanks! You'll probably get to see it in person.

I really need to find a GOOD upholstery shop someone. They all seem to be flakes and inconsistent in their work. I was looking at the gallery for one shop last night and on one car EVERY panel in the seat they did had horrible wrinkles.
It will be really cool to see your car... ideally when you drop it off at George's so we can meet in person?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Everything happens for a reason and this might end up being the best thing that ever happened to you, best of luck!
Yep!
Old 08-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #8
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
It will be really cool to see your car... ideally when you drop it off at George's so we can meet in person?
Absolutely! We should plan on getting something to eat and a few brews as well. Pretty likely we will spend the night in Austin when we drop off the car.

Right now the airdam is screwed up. I hit a tire carcass I couldn't avoid. Moved away from it and the idiot in front of my winged it and it spun RIGHT in front of me. I have a spare bumper and new airdam. Been working on the bumper and attach the airdam before coming to Austin. I'll get it painted while the swap is being done. Only wish I could get the upholstery and headliner done. The interior is really going to be sweet.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 PM   #9
ronburgundy++

My Ride: bmw
I had my headliner redone by a reputable local upholstery shop that was recommended and it still came out just alright. It ended up being just slightly too 'tight' around the roof handles, but otherwise looks pretty good. Just frustrating considering how much effort went into the project. I had them recover all the pillars and despite a specific request to not use any foam, they used foam, and I was out of time and had to put the car back together.
ronburgundy++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
markseven

Quote:
Absolutely! We should plan on getting something to eat and a few brews as well.
Righteous. There are a few Touring enthusiasts that are within driving distance... it would be cool to get together for a mini meet n greet.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #11
markseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronburgundy++ View Post
I had my headliner redone by a reputable local upholstery shop that was recommended and it still came out just alright. It ended up being just slightly too 'tight' around the roof handles, but otherwise looks pretty good. Just frustrating considering how much effort went into the project. I had them recover all the pillars and despite a specific request to not use any foam, they used foam, and I was out of time and had to put the car back together.
Interiors are really tough to do correctly. Much less forgiving than paint + body, in my opinion, which is compounded by the lack of true craftsman / craftsmanship in this field. This is one of the main reasons I chose the car that I did, for the condition of the interior. Options and exterior color were a distant second and third to quality of the interior, especially the headliner and dash.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
ronburgundy++

Quote:
Interiors are really tough to do correctly. Much less forgiving than paint + body, in my opinion, which is compounded by the lack of true craftsman / craftsmanship in this field. This is one of the main reasons I chose the car that I did, for the condition of the interior. Options and exterior color were a distant second and third to quality of the interior, especially the headliner and dash.
My headliner had dog hair embedded in it which I didn't realize until after I purchased it. Strange because the rest of the interior doesn't show any evidence of a dog, but it was a decent enough reason to do a black headliner. It was a genuine pain, but as long as it doesn't fall down in a year it looks good enough.
They also used the wrong side of the fabric on the A/B/C pillars, despite my instructions

You can still buy an OEM black headliner from BMW for around $800, which I learned after the fact. Considering the material was about $250 and I think maybe $300 to install, including sunshade, $800 for an OEM product doesn't look that bad.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #13
Geo31
Ironman

I have the hard to get black headliner parts. Sourced them from Europe last year. Doing the headliner card itself isn't hard. I did my previous E46. The material is readily available with the backing. I'll do that after the seats.

Now, for the seat, I have reproduction M Rain fabric (already in hand) and need to find someone to source the alcantera to go with it and put it all together. I thought finding someone to do quality work would be easier, but nope. Even asked a guy who has 40+ classic and vintage BMWs and Porsches and he doesn't even have a good source at the moment (he previous good source fell off the wagon and became unreliable). The interior is going to kick ass when its done.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #14
ronburgundy++

I get frustrated when I'm trying to do a task myself and don't have the proper tools or space. When I tried doing the A/B/C pillars that ended up being the case. It also didn't help that the garage was 85 degrees

I have an extra set of black mirrors and roof pulls if anyone reading this wants them to do a black headliner.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #15
George Hill

My Ride: BMWs
Quote:
Righteous. There are a few Touring enthusiasts that are within driving distance... it would be cool to get together for a mini meet n greet.
I like this idea

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
George Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:51 PM   #16
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hill View Post
I like this idea
Me too! It's ON! Just have to figure out when I can get the car there.

Tonight I finally cleared the SES light that has had the car parked for nearly 3 months. Had to replace the vacuum lines for the Secondary Air Pump system, as well as the solenoid and check valve. One of the worst bitch of a jobs that I've ever done on one of my Bimmers. But, the light is gone and tomorrow morning I just need to get enough miles in to get it inspected. Finally.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #17
markseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronburgundy++ View Post
My headliner had dog hair embedded in it which I didn't realize until after I purchased it. Strange because the rest of the interior doesn't show any evidence of a dog, but it was a decent enough reason to do a black headliner. It was a genuine pain, but as long as it doesn't fall down in a year it looks good enough.
They also used the wrong side of the fabric on the A/B/C pillars, despite my instructions .
I'm sure your headliner looks great; the areas that bug you are probably imperceptible to other folks.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #18
MJC12

My Ride: 2001 330i
Transmission: 5 Speed
Quote:
Now, for the seat, I have reproduction M Rain fabric (already in hand) and need to find someone to source the alcantera to go with it and put it all together.
Where did you get your fabric? I've been hanging onto this link for a while and was considering getting some of the black fabric and an alcantara sedan interior to re-upholster.

https://www.bimmercloth.com/product/...or-seat-cloth/
Old 08-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #19
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC12 View Post
Where did you get your fabric? I've been hanging onto this link for a while and was considering getting some of the black fabric and an alcantara sedan interior to re-upholster.

https://www.bimmercloth.com/product/...or-seat-cloth/
After trying to find some M Package European seats, I realized it would be cheaper and better to get my current seats reupholstered. Enter BMW Fabric (now ASC Fabric) and M Rain. They have a number of different reproduction fabrics now.

https://www.bmwfabric.com/

The owner is active on Bimmerforums and even offers complete stitched fabric ready to install on M Roadsters and clownshoes. I'll probably get a complete set from him for my M Roadster after the wagon is done.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:57 PM   #20
Geo31
Ironman

Hey guys, George and I've been talking. Preliminary date for me dropping off my car is 20 September. Again, this is preliminary. No idea about pick-up.

Keep this in mind, however, if we want to all get together and make a real gathering of it.

George has some things to check out with the donor, but preliminary review is decent. Looking forward to this.