valve adj - can one tell by listening? (also vanos q) - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
roman-dude

My Ride: ///M3
valve adj - can one tell by listening? (also vanos q)

Need to replace a leaky valve cover gasket so asked about doing the valve adj at the same time. The shop owner at a reputable shop tells me "I listened and you don't need it" (obv before opening anything up). Not to dismiss his expertise but sounds strange to me.

Also asked him to take a look at the vanos while there (don't think I need it but figured he could check for the loose bolts) and got "just wait for the codes".

Your take? thx!
roman-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
ewcmr2

My Ride: Many
Within normal valve clearance range you can't hear anything.
I'd bet it's his experience telling him valve clearance moves very little with mileage/wear. That said, with valve cover off, it would be less than a hour labor to check them. And if any shims need changed the S54 design makes it easy (don't have to remove cams like many engines)
ewcmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
I would trust him. He could have charged you and not even changed anything if they didn't need adjusting. Seems honest to me. I'm curious as to what they sound like when they need adjusting

Old 06-06-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
I would bet an audible difference in valve tick. Do it yourself. If u can add/subtract, u can do it. Buy the ktm shims. Dame hardness and size incriminates. Half the cost
Cayne23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
roman-dude

yeah, going to do that with a friend who has the garage and the tools.

I would imagine that one would want to make the adjustments before there's noise, esp since it's recommended every 30k miles.

I was also put off by him telling me that the spark plugs were a "1-1.5 hr job" when I asked how much it would cost to replace those since the valve cover would already be off.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
Cayne23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman-dude View Post
yeah, going to do that with a friend who has the garage and the tools.

I would imagine that one would want to make the adjustments before there's noise, esp since it's recommended every 30k miles.

I was also put off by him telling me that the spark plugs were a "1-1.5 hr job" when I asked how much it would cost to replace those since the valve cover would already be off.
Thats bs. U only have to take the plastic cover off, then pop off the coils and there u go. No need to remove the vc. And if he already in there it should be easier. U should do the adjustment yourself. I do mine every 15k. Its easy
Old 06-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
roman-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
Thats bs. U only have to take the plastic cover off, then pop off the coils and there u go. No need to remove the vc. And if he already in there it should be easier. U should do the adjustment yourself. I do mine every 15k. Its easy
you mean no need to take off the vc for the plugs, right? coz unless I am missing something I don't see how you don't need to take that off for the valve adj.

ty
Old 06-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
Cayne23

Yes, the plugs. For the va, u need to remove the vc. It should only take about 30 min to remove the vc if its your first time. Dont forget to buy replacement crush washers for the oil return line going into the side of the vc. U need 2, but buy extra cuz u can drop one when re installing
Old 06-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
roman-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
Yes, the plugs. For the va, u need to remove the vc. It should only take about 30 min to remove the vc if its your first time. Dont forget to buy replacement crush washers for the oil return line going into the side of the vc. U need 2, but buy extra cuz u can drop one when re installing
Old 06-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
mrgizmo04

My Ride: '05 ///M3
"Wait for codes" on vanos is recipe for disaster and codes will only show up with 40% of vanos issues. Cam bolts and chain guide can not be examined without taking vanos apart. You need to address the slack in oil pump holes (get a redrilled one) even if both tabs are intact, and pull the whole vanos apart to do cam bolts. Then you might as well do full cleaning and replacement of all seals and chain guide via Beisan parts.

Valve adjustment is super easy, get a feeler gauge and measure yourself. 1.5 hour job for plugs...lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #11
Commando

My Ride: LSB, M3 - SMG
While we are on this subject, the valve clearances decrease with wear of the valve and seat so maybe the OP's mechanic really knows his stuff and is listening for a quieter valve and making sure all 24 tick at the right clearance/volume every 2 turns of the crankshaft - presumably with the motor cold?

When the valve clearance reduces to zero you will lose compression and the valves and seats will burn. A head job will fix this but it's better to keep the valves at the correct clearance.

Take care with the cam follower retaining springs, I've seen these dislodged replacing the cam cover and you end up with the cam lobe kissing the the valve spring retainer. If this happens I hope you have the meshes in the oil return passages.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
Obioban

My Ride: 05 M3, 01 M5, M3iT
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Unless it's absurdly out of spec, you can't hear any difference. You want to get them adjusted long before they're absurdly out of spec.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #13
roman-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Unless it's absurdly out of spec, you can't hear any difference. You want to get them adjusted long before they're absurdly out of spec.
that's what I was thinking. ty