Alignment is perfect, but steering wheel is off - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 01:22 AM   #1
Austin48624

Alignment is perfect, but steering wheel is off

Okay first things first. Yes I've looked around the forums and I'm running into the same post over and over not specifically about my current issue. But I am reaching out to you all for a possible solution.
I have a 2002 E46 m3 convertible.

THE PROBLEM:
So here is the situation. My alignment is perfectly straight and works as far as I'm concerned. But my steering wheel while driving on a flat road is to the right at about the 2o'clock position. Its not centered but it's not pulling because the alignment is good and it drives straight. Typically someone would adjust the tierod to compensate for the steering being off or get an alignment but I have done so more than I would happily like to admit. I've been to BMW and a handful of other places to fix my alignment but multiple tell me that there isnt any more adjustments in the rear as far as toe on the right side. They say its maxed out and if I were to get it where its supposed to they would need to camber out ALOT and thats not normal. I've replaced my old Rtab with a OEM set about 10k miles ago. I also have some camber arms in the rear. All of my tires have even wear and no issues what so ever. My guess would be to get some polyurethane bushings for my rtabs and just get another alignment? Thinking that the OEM ones were just **** and allowing my steering wheel to be off? But yet it still drives straight? Also another thing I have that I have yet to see anyone else talk about is when I'm at lower speeds my steering wheel will be centered when I drive. But at normal or higher speeds itll go back to being at the 2o'clock position. So that just throws me for a loop. I've done the 3 and 9 o'clock with the front wheels to see about the tie rods and there isnt movement except for the sound of my locked steering wheel turning left and right from me trying to turn the wheel with my hands. I also used my own hands to shake the tierod to see if their is any movement but there was none. The only thing was if I grabbed the tie rod and rotated it, it would move as if it isnt stiff on both sides that's about it. I also used a pry bar to move the rtabs while it's in position and it moves but not as sloppy as my old ones were. But I dont know for sure if a good pair of rtabs would move at all but maybe you'll know? I really do appreciate the time for you to read through all of this and if you happen to know anything by all means leave me a guess? I apologize aswell if for whatever reason someone had this exact same issue that I couldnt find. Have a good one!
Austin48624 is offline   Reply With Quote