[Release] MS45 Flasher (name subject to change) - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #41
Alchemy Design

My Ride: 330xi, 328, 525, 335
Year: 2001
Model: 330xi
Transmission: ZF
MS 45.1 DME related question, so if I'm not in the right spot, please forgive me. I'm hoping to help out others that may be having the same issues...

I have 5 E46's (1 MS42, 3 MS43, and 1 MS45.1)
I bought the 2004 325i, MS45.1, and it's doing some ~really~ weird things. Things that I can't research through the normal channels, because it's a SULEV car. :/

Question: Can the DME be the probable cause of a repeated, partial system shutdown? (further details below, I'll try to keep it simple as possible)

-Car will start and run perfectly, for about 15 min, then just *poof* shuts off. - restarts right away, shorter run time, and shuts off, restart it, even shorter run time, and it shuts off. NO CEL, stored codes, or anything remotely indicating a problem.
(Acts just like a clogged fuel filter, but definitely not the case, as it gets weirder from here)
If I restart a few times, when it quits running (Ignition still in run position), it's like the ignition is being toggled off and on, with Traction control light, brake light, CEL, and EML coming on and off about the frequency of a turn signal. It also toggles the fuel pump module.
I have a very remote and quiet workshop, and the only two things I can hear during the toggle is the fuel pump, and if I unplug it, I can hear a slight toggled buzz from the Throttle body. No relays clicking, or anything of the sort. (cover off the engine bay DME housing)

so I'm asking (because it's a SULEV and there's virtually no documentation of them online anywhere) Is it possible the DME can be taking a crap? (internals heating up and going bonkers?)

Or, even better, has anyone even experienced this same problem?

ANY info is greatly appreciated, and as of right now, I'm going to install the flasher, and see if I can even read the DME...
Alchemy Design is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:21 PM   #42
Alchemy Design

My Ride: 330xi, 328, 525, 335
Year: 2001
Model: 330xi
Transmission: ZF
UPDATE:

Cannot connect to the DME using the flasher, but INPA works, just everything is in German, so it's Uber hard to understand what's going on.

Also, probably a major factor in this issue is that some complete knitwit hacked up the OBD2 wires to add a vehicle tracker/GPS locator.

I'm guessing at some point in this car's life it was financed through a Mom-and-Pops car lot, and the installer shouldn't have been allowed to touch a car.

So, off to the junkyard to get an OBD plug and PROPERLY fix the harness, then we'll see what can transpire on the read/write of the DME, or if it's just cooked.
Alchemy Design is online now   Reply With Quote