Headlight wire harness - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #41
cs33988

My Ride: 2005 325ci
@hicucr I was pretty bad at soldering and ended up making my wire too short on my 325. Thankfully, I found the below link (currently OOS) and ordered a new pigtail with the connector attached, soldered that, and it works like a charm! Looks like there are some similar ones on ebay. Good luck!
http://factoryxenon.com/shop/amp-124...-plug-pigtail/
cs33988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #42
325ciLover

My Ride: 2004 325ci
And this thread is why I manually turn my headlights on and off. I never engage the adaptive feature for fear of these worthless wires splitting. I already repaired a a few that had the sheeting fall off like dried wax. Hella, you did a piss poor job with these lights.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
325ciLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #43
hicucr

My Ride: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs33988 View Post
@hicucr I was pretty bad at soldering and ended up making my wire too short on my 325. Thankfully, I found the below link (currently OOS) and ordered a new pigtail with the connector attached, soldered that, and it works like a charm! Looks like there are some similar ones on ebay. Good luck!
http://factoryxenon.com/shop/amp-124...-plug-pigtail/
hicucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #44
ghyde

My Ride: 2005 325Ci, Sport Pk
Year: 2005
Model: 325ci
Transmission: Automatic
That's unfortunate, hicucr! And replacement harness that cs33988 linked above is "sold out".

The wire cannot be repaired, but it and the other igniter wires can be replaced - along with the connector housing and wire connector tips. The fun job is removing the headlight unit and baking it open (in a kitchen oven a to soften the adhesive goo). It won't be quick enough to help you hicucr, but i'm in the process of collecting the parts and plan to replace the three wires, etc. I may even assemble some extra replacement wire harnesses and make them available to fellow Fanatics.

cs33988, what is at the opposite end of the wires from the igniter? From your post it sounds like the opposite ends are soldered, correct??

Also, whether your wires have broken already or not, consider cutting-off the fancy OEM zip ties, since they pull the thin igniter wires way too tight, which I believe also contributes to the brittle wires breaking. After freeing the strangled wires loosely secure them to to the housing with a new zip tie (with electrical tape between the wires and tie).

Last edited by ghyde; 01-24-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: add additional info
ghyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #45
Kobe

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325 Ci
Year: 2004
Model: 325 Ci
Transmission: Manual
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobe
So I repaired my wiring a couple months ago - did the old snip-off/snap-on, even threw in a new ballast cos I didn't know what the heck was going on - now that exact side has checked out again. Without access to a garage dead in the middle of winter in Winston-Salem, NC I'm that guy who looks like a motorcycle from a distance. I'm hoping it'll warm up enough to at least inspect the wiring and find out if it's obvious. I don't have it flickering which leads me to think that maybe the ballast is gone. From what I read broken wires will cause intermittent operation. I love this car, I really do but some days I also look at a Subaru and wonder if an ugly woman who is faithful might have been better after all . . . . "Mama said there'd be dark days!"
Kobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #46
juslookin

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
So I repaired my wiring a couple months ago - did the old snip-off/snap-on, even threw in a new ballast cos I didn't know what the heck was going on - now that exact side has checked out again. Without access to a garage dead in the middle of winter in Winston-Salem, NC I'm that guy who looks like a motorcycle from a distance. I'm hoping it'll warm up enough to at least inspect the wiring and find out if it's obvious. I don't have it flickering which leads me to think that maybe the ballast is gone. From what I read broken wires will cause intermittent operation. I love this car, I really do but some days I also look at a Subaru and wonder if an ugly woman who is faithful might have been better after all . . . . "Mama said there'd be dark days!"

Honestly the best thing to do is to get a spare set of working lights and swap those in then rewire the set you took out with new silicone wiring.

Exactly what i did and havent had a problem since. Also swapped in G5-R projectors
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7487.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	770299

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
juslookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #47
325ciLover

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
Love the Subaru comment lol. I've thought the same many a times. But then I drive a Subaru and throw up when I hear it start and the sloppy handling.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
325ciLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #48
cabinetbob

My Ride: 2004 330c1
Mine ...the **it hit the fan! First a light went out, thought it was a bulb, the guy at Napa looked at it, opened it up and saw a wire broke. So, I got it fixed. Year later, radiator hose went bad, top one. I replaced it had trouble getting the one to the top rad to fit but I thought it was, drove a 1/3 of a mile, it popped, sprayed water all over , got it fixed. but my headlight went out again. I opened it up and all the wires are so frayed and dry rotted. Unbelievable. I had replaced a bulb, $100...went out it 5 minutes. so now I been working on replacing the wires on the igniter. Those three wires are shot. I now have two extra bulbs that are probably good still. But until the wiring gets fixed I dont know if the bulbs are good. or even if the igniter is good. What a freaken mess! Top it off, my headlight cover, is still wet on the inside. I cant figure out how to take it off to clean it or replace.

Pretty fed up!!
cabinetbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #49
cabinetbob

My Ride: 2004 330c1
Using that link http://factoryxenon.com/shop/amp-124...-plug-pigtail/, they are out of stock. I searched the whole part name description, found several sites, guess what...there out of stock too..lol..
cabinetbob is offline   Reply With Quote