Overheating - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
usafjamie

My Ride: 325ci
Overheating

I need help guys. First, my son's BMW is a 1999 (post September) BMW 528i four door automatic.

We bought this a few months back. Got a really good deal and were expecting some issues.
- Soon as we got home it overheated. checked the normal stuff but he took to a mechanic. The mechanic changed the fan clutch and told him the aux fan was also out but just done use the air and he would be ok. Still overheated.
- round two, took it back. He then found a leak in the radiator and changed that, the upper hose, the thermostat, and did some repair on the fan shroud... still overheated a week later.
- This time we called a different guy, found the hose coming out of the motor on top just near the firewall was broken. Fixed the hose... lasted a week... overheated.
- This time I took over and found the two hoses on the bottom near the radiator were rubbing the belts and broke. I did a temp fix and added a hose spice to both and they have since held... lasted a week.
- Then his radiator cap broke and the bleed screw snapped off... omg right... ordered and replaced the cap and upper hose... ran for another week or so...

Now its overheating again. This time I can not find any leak. Not loosing fluid anymore anywhere. Aux fan is still out ( did work for a few weeks though) but he is not using the air as directed. Almost everything in the system has been changed and I am looking for idea's here. Only thing I can think of is the water pump considering its still not been changed and has for some stupid reason a plastic impeller.

any help, suggestions, directions... complaints... all are welcome. Help...
usafjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Pyrohawk

My Ride: '06 325Ci
If i had to guess, it's probably the water pump. They are known to be quite crappy over time. Note that I'm a clueless newbie and don't actually own an e46 (yet), but if my memory serves me correctly, the E39 ('99 is an E39, right?) 528 has the same engine as the e46 328, so i'm assuming the cooling system is equally as dubious.

it's common practice here (or so it seems) to swap out and re-do the whole cooling system upon purchase, especially if there's no record of it being done recently.

Sucks to have to treat the same issue so many times. I guess this is why people say to do it all at the same time.. (looks like the parts fail one by one! ouch)
Pyrohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
elmercc

My Ride: 01 330Cic, '90 325i
Send a message via AIM to elmercc
Likely a water pump failure as that seems to be quite prevalent.

Has the system been thoroughly and properly bled through these various repairs? I'd say air trapped in the system could cause these issues as well?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 02:18 AM   #4
tech54K

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafjamie View Post
I need help guys. First, my son's BMW is a 1999 (post September) BMW 528i four door automatic.

We bought this a few months back. Got a really good deal and were expecting some issues.
- Soon as we got home it overheated. checked the normal stuff but he took to a mechanic. The mechanic changed the fan clutch and told him the aux fan was also out but just done use the air and he would be ok. Still overheated.
- round two, took it back. He then found a leak in the radiator and changed that, the upper hose, the thermostat, and did some repair on the fan shroud... still overheated a week later.
- This time we called a different guy, found the hose coming out of the motor on top just near the firewall was broken. Fixed the hose... lasted a week... overheated.
- This time I took over and found the two hoses on the bottom near the radiator were rubbing the belts and broke. I did a temp fix and added a hose spice to both and they have since held... lasted a week.
- Then his radiator cap broke and the bleed screw snapped off... omg right... ordered and replaced the cap and upper hose... ran for another week or so...

Now its overheating again. This time I can not find any leak. Not loosing fluid anymore anywhere. Aux fan is still out ( did work for a few weeks though) but he is not using the air as directed. Almost everything in the system has been changed and I am looking for idea's here. Only thing I can think of is the water pump considering its still not been changed and has for some stupid reason a plastic impeller.

any help, suggestions, directions... complaints... all are welcome. Help...
I have been having the same issues for years.
tech54K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
Pyrohawk

My Ride: '06 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech54K View Post
I have been having the same issues for years.
Are you sure the system has been bled properly? air in the system would probably cause overheating... only thing I can think of if everything has been replaced and properly installed
Pyrohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
KKB-BMW

My Ride: 2004 330ci six speed
Ok when the car is cold start it open radiator cap once thermostat opens if water pump is working you will see circulation where you fill radiator if that model has a bottle as resivor for coolant in that case no clue If driving no over heating just when parked aux fan for sure isnt working
KKB-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
DonMock

Hello, this is my first time posting, and it seem like you are having the same problem I am. The only difference is i have change my water pump and thermostat on my BMW 328i, and it still over heat, i have also brought a new cooling fan which cost me about 600, which i still have the same problem, and my cooling fan never turnt on since i purchased it. Now im out of ideas on what to check next. My main problem now is getting a understanding on why my cooling fan is not engaging when my car gets hot....any and every idea is welcome to fix my over heating problem.
DonMock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:17 AM   #8
drvikasgupta12

Thanks for sharing this post with us.
drvikasgupta12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:34 AM   #9
Johnnie352

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMock View Post
Hello, this is my first time posting, and it seem like you are having the same problem I am. The only difference is i have change my water pump and thermostat on my BMW 328i, and it still over heat, kissanime app i have also brought a new cooling fan which cost me about 600, which i still have the same problem, and my cooling fan never turnt on since i purchased it. Now im out of ideas on what to check next. My main problem now is getting a understanding on why my cooling fan is not engaging when my car gets hot....any and every idea is welcome to fix my over heating problem.
Great post. It was much needed. Love your simplistic style of explanation. _sl_

Last edited by Johnnie352; 08-10-2019 at 02:36 AM.
Johnnie352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
JohnTaylor02

Thermostat. Some cars have two thermostats, then it's generally difficult to find a problem
JohnTaylor02 is offline   Reply With Quote