DIY Windshield Washer Pump Repair / Replace (if needed) Lots of Pictures - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 96 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #41
Dogfart67

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Yes I have crc electronic cleaner and tools, no I'm not taking a part an old crusty disposable pump, but fascinating to see what you uncovered!!! :-)Kick ass DYI, I'm using a $8 china special to replace, I'm at the end of my mini-overhaul and went oem on everything else, leaving me light in the wallet, not in the loafers lol :-p
Great photos btw!
Dogfart67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #42
warrior2005

My Ride: 05 325Ci
nevermind. free bump, i guess.

Last edited by warrior2005; 08-16-2015 at 03:28 PM.
warrior2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #43
Bill Davidson

My Ride: 330Ci
Did either of the posters who had (approx) 9V at the pump connector with switch not activated ever root cause the issue ?

I have non functioning washer on a 2004 330Ci & when I check the voltage at the pump connector I get (approx) 9V w/o switch & 13.5V switch activated (engine running, hence the charging system voltage)

Fixing or replacing the washer pump is a no brainer, but obviously something else is wrong if getting 9V across terminals w/o switch.

Looking for some help please, Thnx
Bill Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #44
TRITONAL

My Ride: E46, F25
Great DIY - on my wife's 325i I bought a $6 China special that lasted all of 3 weeks - it quickly rusted from the inside out. My 330Ci still had the OEM pump, but was seized from rust (not nearly as much as the China one). I used this DIY and it works as intended!

The bottom hole of the magnet piece was quite rusted on my OEM one, so I drilled it with a 3/32" bit to get the corrosion and rust off. I added the smallest dab of anti-seize to prevent any further corrosion. I live in AZ now (as opposed to WI), so hopefully that will also help.

Just wanted to bump this thread up, because it was quite an easy job, saved me $50 from buying an OEM one, and wanted to add my two cents to the process.
The E46s are the Knights of the chessboard. They can outmaneuver the other, more powerful pieces on the board. They aren't the King or Queen of the garage, but they are the first piece that you want to move.
TRITONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #45
liquidexistence

My Ride: 330Ci convertible
Thanks! Saved me some hassle =)

Like others, my initial response was why bother when new one costs <$10. But then I realized I could fix the thing and be done with it now, not when the part arrives and I don't have time for another week or two (I have 3 kids). Took me about 30min total. Runs like a champ now!

Thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough DIY.. people are still getting use from it!
liquidexistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:06 AM   #46
jaybanda

My Ride: BMW 318i 2004
Thanks so much for this , you have just saved me a hassle of trying to buy a replacement online and shipping it to Zambia , Africa. Much appreciated, worked like a charm ! ( FYI, my motor was just as rusty as yours ! wow ! )
jaybanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #47
canis

My Ride: 2009 Mini Clubman S
Thanks OP. All I had to do was pop the top cap off, pull out the motor from the housing and give the shaft a twist and it runs fine now!
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #48
E46AIN

My Ride: 325i
Same think happen to me a few weeks ago the washer pump cracked idk how but it did
E46AIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #49
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
nished this DIY thinking there was no chance & i'd need to get a new one. But......... it worked. Nice post!
Old 10-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #50
Choad

My Ride: 330d Touring
Jets no longer spraying MOT already booked for next week, pump wasn't working.
Followed every step and now working !! Thanks so much great post!
Choad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #51
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.
Send a message via AIM to Nickvjr Send a message via Yahoo to Nickvjr
Glad everyone is still getting some good use of this DIY. I know most will just replace their pumps and I would agree in most cases but for those who don't have the time or part with them, this DIY challenge is one most of us can complete.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 02-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #52
lenahan

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 2005
Model: 330ci Convertible
Transmission: Automatic
Just joined the forum in order to pop a thanks on here after reading. Wow brilliant. Id just bought an Individual Malachite Green 330ci Convertible and the MOT test is this week. The Windscreen wash pump wasnt whirring or working so after a google in the hope I could save myself 100+ at the dealers/test centre I landed here. Ive ordered a Genuine Pump I found online Brand New for 8 (BMW stamped VOD etc) but in the meantime i followed the guide here and although once out I couldnt actually get my pump split open I instead followed another posters lead and I gave it a good few whacks with the back of a screwdriver. Plugged it in again and hey presto it was working . Just getting it through the MOT this week before my new pump arrives has saved me a right pain in the bum and a potential wasted cost. Thanks for all involved on here with some great DIY tips. Cant believe a few whacks has unseized it and got it working again if only brielfy to solve immidiate issues and costs. BRILLIANT.
lenahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #53
PabloCruise

My Ride: 2002 325i
Year: 2002
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsnospam View Post
My washers stopped spraying suddenly. I first got a warning about low washer fluid level, went out and bought some fluid and poured in about 0.5 gallon. Tried to spray after a couple of days, nothing. Not even relays clicking, or motor trying to turn.

If I check the voltage on the cable connector with a very good multimeter, it reads 9.6V even when the car is off, no key in ignition. On turning on, and clicking the wheel wand for spray, no change in voltage, still about 9.6V.

I read somewhere that the wiper relay could be bad in the E-box.
1. Does the wiper relay also control spray motor?
2. Can i test the relay before purchasing replacement? Can i swap in another relay from the e-box?
3. If I have to replace the pump, will any aftermarket pump be ok?

thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypx82 View Post
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I'm having the same issue.

I recently bought a 2005 330i. Mine came with headlight washers and they ARE working but the windshield washers are NOT working. I checked to voltage on the windshield washer connection and it reads 9.3V even when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition. The headlight washers read 0V when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition.
I checked the fuses, they are all fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davidson View Post
Did either of the posters who had (approx) 9V at the pump connector with switch not activated ever root cause the issue ?

I have non functioning washer on a 2004 330Ci & when I check the voltage at the pump connector I get (approx) 9V w/o switch & 13.5V switch activated (engine running, hence the charging system voltage)

Fixing or replacing the washer pump is a no brainer, but obviously something else is wrong if getting 9V across terminals w/o switch.

Looking for some help please, Thnx
Funny there are no replies to the folks that are seeing voltage at the connector w/ the key off.

My squirter stopped functioning. I took a look at the motor over the weekend and disconnected the wiring and thought I would check voltage, expecting to see 0. I saw < 9 volts, it was 8 something.

Does anyone know anything about this voltage w/ key off?

This is frustrating as I replaced the squirter motor ~40k miles ago. I remember at the time being pretty unimpressed with a vehicle that had all of 108k miles on it needing a new squirter - I have never had to replace on any other vehicle I own.
PabloCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #54
Voltron263

My Ride: E46 BMW 325i
Worked like a charm

Thank you for this, followed the steps, it was please to hear the motor whirl. I m also going to have a beverage on your behalf.
Voltron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #55
Voltron263

My Ride: E46 BMW 325i
Thank you, did the same and it works like a charm
Voltron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #56
PabloCruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Funny there are no replies to the folks that are seeing voltage at the connector w/ the key off.

My squirter stopped functioning. I took a look at the motor over the weekend and disconnected the wiring and thought I would check voltage, expecting to see 0. I saw < 9 volts, it was 8 something.

Does anyone know anything about this voltage w/ key off?

This is frustrating as I replaced the squirter motor ~40k miles ago. I remember at the time being pretty unimpressed with a vehicle that had all of 108k miles on it needing a new squirter - I have never had to replace on any other vehicle I own.
Good question Pablo.

My squirter stopped working too. I checked voltage at the plug and 8.69 volts. I thought that was odd.

I pulled the motor and tested it straight off battery voltage and no dice.

Ordered a new one from FCP Euro, endured the slow shipping for the lifetime warranty.

Plugged the new unit in and she squirts again!

At the rate people have to replace these it seems like I might need the lifetime warranty. I have owned a few vehicles in my time, but have never had to replace the squirter pump on any other machine - just this one. Funny...

But no idea why there is voltage at the plug when the pump is not being called to squirt. Fuses, all 3 of them, were good.

Last edited by PabloCruise; 04-14-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #57
PabloCruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Good question Pablo.

My squirter stopped working too. I checked voltage at the plug and 8.69 volts. I thought that was odd.

I pulled the motor and tested it straight off battery voltage and no dice.

Ordered a new one from FCP Euro, endured the slow shipping for the lifetime warranty.

Plugged the new unit in and she squirts again!

At the rate people have to replace these it seems like I might need the lifetime warranty. I have owned a few vehicles in my time, but have never had to replace the squirter pump on any other machine - just this one. Funny...

But no idea why there is voltage at the plug when the pump is not being called to squirt. Fuses, all 3 of them, were good.
Thanks Pablo, always nice when an question gets answered in these threads...
Old 09-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #58
maniacminer

I drive around 1,000 a year, the car is kept garaged and is generally spotless and mechanically tip-top.

Unfortunately, I've got an MOT test booked tomorrow and I gave the old girl a run making sure everything was working. Everything was fine except the windscreen washers didn't work.

New pump ordered but it'll arrive there day after the MOT test. So I whipped the washer reservoir out removed both pumps, dismantled the windscreen pump and yup it was rusty inside, used some sandpaper on the armature and the magnets, a five minute hot ultrasonic bath later it was looking like new, sprayed some lithium 3-in-1 into the motor, reassembled it, tested it on my bench supply and all's good. Put it back in the car and yay! suds on the 'screen!

Thanks for the informative article, it's saved me the hassle of an MOT failure!
maniacminer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, replacement, windshield washer pump, windshield washer tank