Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software... - Page 376 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #7501
LKMT

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliyasuper View Post
LKMT do i need to make any patch for ms430056/69 ? Just connect wires and change the formula in definition file?
No program patches are needed as it's reading the raw ADC input.
But as the wiki states for it to work the ecu must be configured to only use the pre-catalyst lambda probes and the post-catalyst lambda probe heater circuit must be left disconnected as the ecu uses that circuit to determine if the post-catalyst lambda probes are connected.

When that is taken care of you can connect the wires and change the conversion formula for the rear lambda probe input you are using and start logging.

Last edited by LKMT; 09-10-2019 at 04:08 PM.
LKMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #7502
Kmart-Kid

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2001
Model: 325XI Wagon
Transmission: Manual
For m54b25 or any of the m54 family. Good results on Vanos include reducing LSA on low load. This increases low end torque that is lost for emission control. Simply copy your cold run vanos maps(low load) intake and exhaust and apply to your warm maps. (120,-105) b25

As rpm and load increase valve overlap will need to be increased. The stock midrange is good but towards high load overlap from intake can be increased.
Kmart-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #7503
Iliyasuper

My Ride: 316 with M54b30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKMT View Post
No program patches are needed as it's reading the raw ADC input.
But as the wiki states for it to work the ecu must be configured to only use the pre-catalyst lambda probes and the post-catalyst lambda probe heater circuit must be left disconnected as the ecu uses that circuit to determine if the post-catalyst lambda probes are connected.

When that is taken care of you can connect the wires and change the conversion formula for the rear lambda probe input you are using and start logging.
Okey, right now i`ve understood completely.
Thank you!
Iliyasuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #7504
scorpionreptyle

My Ride: e36 330i
Year: 1997
Model: E36
Transmission: 5 spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by donBogi View Post
Yeah, had the same feeling.

I will start doing the full advance/retard runs on the intake side to see what happens.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

..or just take a few degrees on top of exhaust (in range of -101 ~ -102)
You must be aware and ACCEPT that a certain engine is LIMITED in gains at one point. Limiters are related to airflow and fueling as a base, cams may be at its max ,ports may be at its max. Dont expect to obtain critical gains from modding/changing cheap parts like intake manifold,this was done by the manufacturer since `90 and an compromise arised by now in latest M5x update. Start porting and cam swaps for more,200hp is alot from that engine, do improvements on its band /torque spreading /weak points etc. A faster car needs attention on midrange too.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #7505
[email protected]

Hi daniel, was wondering if u can help me with my 11 sec to 60 miles 325 e46 .. i freshly swapped from 318! According to my research 325 automatic 0-60 in 8sec .. i flashed ur 512kb few maps and tried WITH NOW KNOWLEDGE WHATSOEVER to tune the 64kb bin .. no luck so far .. can u please direct me where to look! Software or hardware !? Do u hv a 64kb bin that is already modified that can help me ?
My email is [email protected].
Happy to hear from you and thanks in advance.
Ahmedhuzayen83@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:54 AM   #7506
donBogi

My Ride: 325i
Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionreptyle View Post
..or just take a few degrees on top of exhaust (in range of -101 ~ -102)
You must be aware and ACCEPT that a certain engine is LIMITED in gains at one point. Limiters are related to airflow and fueling as a base, cams may be at its max ,ports may be at its max. Dont expect to obtain critical gains from modding/changing cheap parts like intake manifold,this was done by the manufacturer since `90 and an compromise arised by now in latest M5x update. Start porting and cam swaps for more,200hp is alot from that engine, do improvements on its band /torque spreading /weak points etc. A faster car needs attention on midrange too.

I am aware! Swapping cams is a plan which is existing in deed. Finding a cam that works well is the other deal, options with the head are the b30 zhp (plug&play) s50b30 (Minor jobs for fitting) s52b32 (Same as s50) while only s50 giving major bumps... keeping expenses low is the other deal.
About porting the head... on the intake side is not to much to do... as you probably also seen peiís dissection thread of the head. Iíll just prepare the second head for the task and see where we are heading to.

Itís a stupid task, but I just want to squeeze out everything until spitting valves or oil pump nuts.

Last edited by donBogi; 09-12-2019 at 12:57 AM.
donBogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #7507
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
Year: 98
Model: E46
donBogi,

You can look at the B30 cams. I am running Schrick 248/248 cams and getting great affects(115% VE peak). The change from stock is night and day difference(needs a tune to get the full benefit).

I have cracked 210hp(DME reported) on the untouched stock M54B25 in the X3 using just a tune(VERY similar to the pics I posted). The main current changes are for economy at part load.
The heads are not the limit. It is the cams and a little in the exhaust. My full exhaust and headers on my 323i made little difference after the cams(cams fitted first then 6 months later, exhaust).

11621706538, 11621706539 are my stock headers with the cats in the next pipe under the body.

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!

Last edited by Blu302; 09-12-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #7508
donBogi

My Ride: 325i
Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software...

Thanks for advising!

I already run the b30 cams in. Also the stupid b30 intake. I have made a very light tune like two years ago before the cam which I started to use again since going hard was taking me nowhere
I mostly left the standard b25 Vanos maps stock and adapted it to the b30 cams on top revs. Fuel economy is still very okeyish and hit measured power to the wheels around 175- 180 European horse power... only have two to three degrees here and there (basically over the whole map(s)) with monitored afrs in between 12.5-12.8
First I want to see how far it can be pushed for street power, then I want to tune Vanos for economy driving.

The thing is that I see lots of people showing dyno Charts having 220-225 hp at the crank some running catless at 23x hp. Iím aiming at maximum na power that can be obtained with this engine. Maybe Iíll put schricks in, maybe just the b30 engine in... donít really care at the moment, for me itís mostly an enjoyable journey

Last edited by donBogi; 09-12-2019 at 08:46 AM.
donBogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #7509
e4646

My Ride: 330i touring
Cheers all around.

Got some issue with my car through customizing.

My topic is not about the question if the max values are true or not. It is about the differences in them.

Following my logging output (see pics) the engine performs perfectly fine in 2.nd gear. Wonderful torque curve, perfect power line. Subjective, too! Pulls impressive out after 5000rpm.

In 3rd gear torque and power falls away above 5500rpm. No matter what I do, nor what I change in file. Subjective it fits, too.

Already tested different intake. Moved torque max and torque curve shape clearly and flattend the up rpm curve a little.

Used Car-Hardware:
-E46 330i, M54B30, ebay headers, underfloor cats (OEM), standard middle silencer, 330d final muffler (chamber free)

Used Logging Software:
-Scanmaster OBDII -> captures rpm and time, uses gearbox values and tire size (and weight / cw / etc.) to calculate acceleration and with this torque and power

Used settings:
-Scorps beginner values for nearly stock cars (and some mods from my own of this)
-"sharkish" settings

I am not sure if the problem is based on the logging algorythm / lack of logging speed intervalls or hardware based or custom file based.

Hints are welcome!

Btw: Everybody looking for a cheap, relativly silent muffler, go for the 330d one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190908_193212515.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	783775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190908_193232654.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	783777  
e4646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #7510
mobot95

Hi,

I've flashed the file "MS430056_M54B30_Logger_EWSsignature_CHK5off_LC.bin" with JMGarage software but I cannot get to work the launch control. I have the clutch switch (i've verified in in INPA).
Also i get Error Code 0 in Inpa, how can I fix?

This is the 64kb file that I'm currently using (Some changes on coolant temperature, vanos tweak, antijerk disabled, pops tune and other things..)
Attached Files
File Type: txt MS430056_popsACCIN_CoolantTweak_VanosTweak.txt (64.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by mobot95; 09-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
mobot95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #7511
scorpionreptyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4646 View Post
Cheers all around.

Got some issue with my car through customizing.

My topic is not about the question if the max values are true or not. It is about the differences in them.

Following my logging output (see pics) the engine performs perfectly fine in 2.nd gear. Wonderful torque curve, perfect power line. Subjective, too! Pulls impressive out after 5000rpm.

In 3rd gear torque and power falls away above 5500rpm. No matter what I do, nor what I change in file. Subjective it fits, too.

Already tested different intake. Moved torque max and torque curve shape clearly and flattend the up rpm curve a little.

Used Car-Hardware:
-E46 330i, M54B30, ebay headers, underfloor cats (OEM), standard middle silencer, 330d final muffler (chamber free)

Used Logging Software:
-Scanmaster OBDII -> captures rpm and time, uses gearbox values and tire size (and weight / cw / etc.) to calculate acceleration and with this torque and power

Used settings:
-Scorps beginner values for nearly stock cars (and some mods from my own of this)
-"sharkish" settings

I am not sure if the problem is based on the logging algorythm / lack of logging speed intervalls or hardware based or custom file based.

Hints are welcome!

Btw: Everybody looking for a cheap, relativly silent muffler, go for the 330d one.

and your problem is ?? ...assume : your engine loose its pulling power above 5500 rpm? Thats the shape of installed cams profile,you cant get more torque at such high revs unless you manage to inhale more mixture ,330~340 is the max NM using stock cams and cc`s. Horses are there , on paper too, dont hipe for more cause you are close to limits.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #7512
scorpionreptyle

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vy...FIm4FeWAnFdUQQ -e36 swaps ,manual ,v56 ,stockish engines ,EU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V8...wm1dYu27CZBK35 -was on e46 manual ,v56 ,stockish engine, EU

moderate improvements , use them as you pleased ,on your own risks. Those are old, but puffier over stock at that time
Old 09-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #7513
e4646

My Ride: 330i touring
What I forgot to say, OBD gives me around 176g/s air ratio, in both gears.

@scorpion

Edit: I am perfectly fine with the achieved power and torque as it appears in second gear!

Thanks for your fast reply! Do you have seen / understood that the dyno charts were made directly one after another?

My problem is the big difference in the results comparing second and third gear! (did lots of runs on different days with different setups and tunes, result stays the same)
Seems to be a difference of atleast 20kw! Same time, same weather, same track, same fuel etc. pp.

So as I mentioned:
"I am not sure if the problem is based on the logging algorythm / lack of logging speed intervalls or hardware based or custom file based."

I want to understand, and to share the knowledge and the gained insight. Did anyone ever tested in different gears? Do you have enough experience to tell me if the torque and power curve in third gear are the expectable ones or the one with second gear?

I will give your shared files a try, but tomorrow.

Last edited by e4646; 09-12-2019 at 04:48 PM.
e4646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #7514
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
I made 276 whp and 285 ft/lbs of torque on 3,0 NA , straight pipe , m50 manifold,cold air intake, tune , RS4 MAF at the time, ported head and a lot more details to attain that power. Gotta look for dyno chart i have it somewheres. (dynojet )

Last edited by cwarel; 09-13-2019 at 03:08 PM.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #7515
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
Year: 98
Model: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by donBogi View Post
Thanks for advising!

I already run the b30 cams in. Also the stupid b30 intake. I have made a very light tune like two years ago before the cam which I started to use again since going hard was taking me nowhere
I mostly left the standard b25 Vanos maps stock and adapted it to the b30 cams on top revs. Fuel economy is still very okeyish and hit measured power to the wheels around 175- 180 European horse power... only have two to three degrees here and there (basically over the whole map(s)) with monitored afrs in between 12.5-12.8
First I want to see how far it can be pushed for street power, then I want to tune Vanos for economy driving.

The thing is that I see lots of people showing dyno Charts having 220-225 hp at the crank some running catless at 23x hp. Iím aiming at maximum na power that can be obtained with this engine. Maybe Iíll put schricks in, maybe just the b30 engine in... donít really care at the moment, for me itís mostly an enjoyable journey

I lost 15% VE when I fitted my B30 manifold(back to max 100% peak) with all else unchanged. I had to to run the M54 throttle on my aftermarket DME(had the M52TU25B) I would change back if I had the option.

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:12 AM   #7516
scorpionreptyle

There is a difference between real dyno calculations and physical methods and road type calculators , and there must be followed a rule for real/close to real hp numbers. Real dyno require close to 1:1 gear ratio (bmw's usual 4th gear) and road dynos/apps/tools require 2'nd gear to show close to real numbers. Why ? Because with higher speeds come into play other restrictions that you wont find on real dyno - wind drag and road grade. If you dyno with a tool on the road in 5th gear you will get the least hp,the lower the gear,bigger the numbers,with 2nd the correct one.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:18 AM   #7517
scorpionreptyle

@cwarell they cant get there with engine same as factory exit.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:53 AM   #7518
Iliyasuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
I made 276 whp and 285 ft/lbs of torque on 3,0 NA , straight pipe , cold air intake, tune , RS4 MAF at the time, ported head and a lot more details to attain that power. Gotta look for dyno chart i have it somewheres. (dynojet )
Could you tell me please, from where have you taken 5V to RS4 MAF? which socket/number of pin ?
Old 09-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #7519
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliyasuper View Post
Could you tell me please, from where have you taken 5V to RS4 MAF? which socket/number of pin ?
White/Brown wire off throttle position sensor i believe and its written in the post as well.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #7520
Iliyasuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
White/Brown wire off throttle position sensor i believe and its written in the post as well.
Oh sorry, i missed it. Thank you !