Exhaust cam position sensor - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
doukas007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Patras, Greece
Posts: 86
My Ride: e46 facelift coupe
Exhaust cam position sensor

Hi to all , I am getting code 0369 which is intermittent fault in exhaust camshaft position sensor so I need to replace it
Problem is that the OE part costs around 120 .is there any oem good alternative or I'll have to buy the original from Bmw ? Is the brand that manufactures the sensors known? From my recearch so far it seems that the ones to buy are only original Bmw

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
RayPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 3,563
My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
Hi to all , I am getting code 0369 which is intermittent fault in exhaust camshaft position sensor so I need to replace it
Problem is that the OE part costs around 120 .is there any oem good alternative or I'll have to buy the original from Bmw ? Is the brand that manufactures the sensors known? From my recearch so far it seems that the ones to buy are only original Bmw

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
There are plenty. Just go to realoem.com, find your car using the last 7 characters of your vin number, navigate to Engine electrical system > Ignition system > Sensors and grab the part number. It's part 12147518628 #2 in this link which is what you get using my vin.

Take that part number and Google it.

You are going to get a lot of people telling you to spend the big bucks but I don't and I haven't had any issues. If I get a couple of years before I get a code I am happy and with parts like this particular part that are SO easy to replace what the hell? Takes 5 minutes

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=12_1079
RayPooley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
doukas007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Patras, Greece
Posts: 86
My Ride: e46 facelift coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
There are plenty. Just go to realoem.com, find your car using the last 7 characters of your vin number, navigate to Engine electrical system > Ignition system > Sensors and grab the part number. It's part 12147518628 #2 in this link which is what you get using my vin.



Take that part number and Google it.



You are going to get a lot of people telling you to spend the big bucks but I don't and I haven't had any issues. If I get a couple of years before I get a code I am happy and with parts like this particular part that are SO easy to replace what the hell? Takes 5 minutes



https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=12_1079


Yeah I know the part number and how to find alternative oems but I was looking for a specific suggestion or the actual brand that makes the original


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
RayPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 3,563
My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
Yeah I know the part number and how to find alternative oems but I was looking for a specific suggestion or the actual brand that makes the original


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
When you are talking aftermarket it's anyone's guess. I doubt two guys on here would buy the same. Just don't go too cheap and be wary of China. That's all I can suggest.
RayPooley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
doukas007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Patras, Greece
Posts: 86
My Ride: e46 facelift coupe
Ok , but I think most are made in China now.Anyway ,it seems the original sensor is made by Siemens VDO , but I cannot find where to buy it in Europe


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
RayPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 3,563
My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
Ok , but I think most are made in China now.Anyway ,it seems the original sensor is made by Siemens VDO , but I cannot find where to buy it in Europe


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
I actually change mine every 18 months or so as a PM task. You can't reasonably justify that when you are spending $100+ on them but $20 - $25 is no big deal. I also have always got a new spare to throw on as soon as I need to and then replace the spare. So I would argue for the aftermarket components if you can fit them without having to tear the car to pieces to get to it.
RayPooley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
LeverThis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,087
My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
Yeah I know the part number and how to find alternative oems but I was looking for a specific suggestion or the actual brand that makes the original


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Normally I'd say vdo/seimens, but they don't seem to be listed online for the exhaust cam sensor. (Vdo makes the crankshaft sensor.)

Unfortunately, many websites now just list "OEM supplier" as the OE maker on the exhaust sensor (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-12147518628-1) which isn't very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
Ok , but I think most are made in China now.Anyway ,it seems the original sensor is made by Siemens VDO , but I cannot find where to buy it in Europe

Fwiw, I recently ordered the "OEM supplier" intake cam position sensor from FCP Euro and the part I received was made by VNE Automotive with the origin listed as Germany. I haven't installed it yet to confirm function, but I did find a couple "BMW" references on the electrical connector that the grinding wheel overlooked so it looks to be legit. Perhaps VNE Automotive also makes the exhaust cps?
__________________
Viton O-Ring & Washer Fix for Leaking Selector Shaft Seal (GM Auto Transmission):
20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing, or Sintered Bronze/Copper Washer

Last edited by LeverThis; 09-09-2019 at 01:02 PM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:50 AM   #8
doukas007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Patras, Greece
Posts: 86
My Ride: e46 facelift coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
Normally I'd say vdo/seimens, but they don't seem to be listed online for the exhaust cam sensor. (Vdo makes the crankshaft sensor.)

Unfortunately, many websites now just list "OEM supplier" as the OE maker on the exhaust sensor (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-12147518628-1) which isn't very helpful.




Fwiw, I recently ordered the "OEM supplier" intake cam position sensor from FCP Euro and the part I received was made by VNE Automotive with the origin listed as Germany. I haven't installed it yet to confirm function, but I did find a couple "BMW" references on the electrical connector that the grinding wheel overlooked so it looks to be legit. Perhaps VNE Automotive also makes the exhaust cps?


I also noticed that and probably you re good to go but my problem is I am in Europe ,we don't have fcp Euro here and if I choose something that is branded just oem chances are it will be the worst


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #9
SiBriers
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 35
My Ride: 325ci 02 Sport
Year: 02
Model: 325ci Sport
Transmission: 5MT
https://www.autodoc.gr/search?keyword=12147518628

I'd probably go for Febi out of those. (Can't see a known good manufacturer but have some confidence their parts)
Highly recommend the site for price - even better if you download the phone app.
I've had issues with card payments though (multiple declined transactions) - might be better to use Paypal.

Last edited by SiBriers; 09-10-2019 at 06:31 AM.
SiBriers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
doukas007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Patras, Greece
Posts: 86
My Ride: e46 facelift coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiBriers View Post
https://www.autodoc.gr/search?keyword=12147518628

I'd probably go for Febi out of those. (Can't see a known good manufacturer but have some confidence their parts)
Highly recommend the site for price - even better if you download the phone app.
I've had issues with card payments though (multiple declined transactions) - might be better to use Paypal.


Thanks for the suggestion ,actually I have bought from there many times , but I don't know about the febi sensor, maybe I'll bite the bullet and pay the premium for the original Bmw part


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
LeverThis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,087
My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
I also noticed that and probably you re good to go but my problem is I am in Europe ,we don't have fcp Euro here and if I choose something that is branded just oem chances are it will be the worst


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Understand your point, but I kind of assumed there would be online suppliers based in Europe that are like fcp euro, autohausaz, etc. Is that not the case? A legit online supplier somewhere within the Schengen countries?
__________________
Viton O-Ring & Washer Fix for Leaking Selector Shaft Seal (GM Auto Transmission):
20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing, or Sintered Bronze/Copper Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #12
doukas007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Patras, Greece
Posts: 86
My Ride: e46 facelift coupe
Exhaust cam position sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
Understand your point, but I kind of assumed there would be online suppliers based in Europe that are like fcp euro, autohausaz, etc. Is that not the case? A legit online supplier somewhere within the Schengen countries?


Yes there are big online part stores but they are not let's say brand oriented with people who know their stuff ,like ecs ,pelican ,fcp ,etc .they are more generic ,like autozone and you definitely will have to make your own recearch.no such thing as "hey look I want this sensor for this car,but I am not sure about the brand ,could you help me? Yeah okay we know bimmers ,we have had luck with hella "
No such thing here ,I won't even start with part stores in Greece , moog bushes and other nasty stuff

Thing is the only oem sensor I'd buy is the Siemens VDO , but it seems impossible to find in Europe


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by doukas007; 09-11-2019 at 06:15 AM.
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #13
lobe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 173
My Ride: e46 325i
Gday

I bought and installed one only last week after looking for the same answers. I thought I was gonna have to order genuine from fcp n ship to Oz.
Turns out I sourced a bmw sensor with the logo ground off, was reboxed by vemo
lobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
SiBriers
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 35
My Ride: 325ci 02 Sport
Year: 02
Model: 325ci Sport
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobe View Post
Gday

I bought and installed one only last week after looking for the same answers. I thought I was gonna have to order genuine from fcp n ship to Oz.
Turns out I sourced a bmw sensor with the logo ground off, was reboxed by vemo
Great info right there

Pretty sure I bought a Vemo cam sensor as a spare for the old engine.. Will have to check it out later..
SiBriers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #15
LeverThis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,087
My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
Yes there are big online part stores but they are not let's say brand oriented with people who know their stuff ,like ecs ,pelican ,fcp ,etc .they are more generic ,like autozone and you definitely will have to make your own recearch.no such thing as "hey look I want this sensor for this car,but I am not sure about the brand ,could you help me? Yeah okay we know bimmers ,we have had luck with hella "
No such thing here ,I won't even start with part stores in Greece , moog bushes and other nasty stuff

Thing is the only oem sensor I'd buy is the Siemens VDO , but it seems impossible to find in Europe
Got it, thats too bad they are all generic online part stores over there. I have relatives in Greece so no need to explain, lol ... Hope things get better there with the new government.

Anyways ... for what its worth, I could find no VDO/Siemens exhaust cam sensor available here in the States either. Like on the intake side, perhaps the OE maker of this part for BMW is (now) VNE Automotive?
__________________
Viton O-Ring & Washer Fix for Leaking Selector Shaft Seal (GM Auto Transmission):
20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing, or Sintered Bronze/Copper Washer

Last edited by LeverThis; 09-11-2019 at 10:57 PM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #16
jmo69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,869
My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Year: 2003
Model: 325xi
Transmission: Steptronic
FCP sells an OE sensor for $28 but they don't list the manufacturer, but list Germany as the country of origin.
__________________
Alternative to expensive xi control arm bushings https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1231503

Bad outer xi ball joint? https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1127077


2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998328is 5sp

Last edited by jmo69; 09-11-2019 at 10:44 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:48 AM   #17
doukas007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Patras, Greece
Posts: 86
My Ride: e46 facelift coupe
I'll see if I can find a VNE branded sensor to buy online


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.