DIY: AEM High-Flow Fuel Pump to OEM Housing - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 02:49 AM   #1
paraklas

My Ride: B30_TS2++
Year: 2001
Transmission: 5-Getrag
DIY: AEM High-Flow Fuel Pump to OEM Housing

Suspected a soft fuel pump failure (misfires on high rpm, bad cold starts) so I decided to use an AEM in-tank high-flow fuel pump to replace the existing oem VDO. Most would prefer to get an OEM assembly including the fuel level sensor which is perfectly fine, but due to my setup (FI) I chose the other way.

Amazon package arrived

Side by side. AEM is 40mm diameter vs 50mm diameter of genuine BMW

Decided to not buy a ready made sleeve (radium engineering) but rather take apart the OEM pump and use the outer shell as a sleeve. To remove the actual pump from the plastic assembly, you need to remove 2 power connectors (Secured with a lock pin) and the fuel line. Fuel line was the most difficult as I didn't want to damage it. Used a heat gun to make it softer for removal.

Marking the line:

Cut Open:

Using 2x 50mm clamps to secure the AEM pump into the OEM sleeve.

Into the hangar:

Assembly and soldering the wires:

Complete with the new filter:

Car started immediately, pump is more silent than the original one. Will see how much it lasts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
PeteyTrades

My Ride: 2002 e46 330i
Nice how to Paraklas! I'm on your m56 cap list, but just saw this thread. I'm slowly planning the future fuel system setup when I go turbo. This is a cool start.

Would you mind if i PMed you about some fuel system questions? To do with F.I....
PeteyTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
paraklas

My Ride: B30_TS2++
Year: 2001
Transmission: 5-Getrag
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyTrades View Post
Nice how to Paraklas! I'm on your m56 cap list, but just saw this thread. I'm slowly planning the future fuel system setup when I go turbo. This is a cool start.

Would you mind if i PMed you about some fuel system questions? To do with F.I....
sure no prob!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Wow thanks for this. I was planning to go radium, but would rather go aem.

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote