Xi Lowering / Have Your Cake & Eat It Too - Page 15 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #281
venerated

My Ride: F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledd.lemmenes View Post
I know itís impossible but how long is long enough before the information is public. Iíd pay rob for this, Iíd keep it secret as well, itís just the fact that good information isnít available to the community

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can easily find suspension for your car just like any other parts for this car. I went with Koni Yellows and H&R sport springs and am very happy with my setup. The ride is awesome. A bit stiff but handles sooo well.

2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black
venerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:58 AM   #282
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Xi Lowering / Have Your Cake & Eat It Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledd.lemmenes View Post
I think over 6 months is long enough to spill the beans...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not going to get you the help you want. Great opening first post.

Great you see you are back Rob

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by zander271; 11-30-2017 at 02:59 AM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #283
apseagle

My Ride: 02 325xi 5 speed
Welcome home Rob. Hope you had a relaxing vacation.
apseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #284
mr_y82

My Ride: 01 325xi Sedan
I think it is great that Rob offers some solutions for people who don't want to get too stiff, but I just upgraded to all poly (superpro subframe and upper spring pads, powerflex inner upper and lower control arms bushings in the rear [went with new powerflex rear LCAs that include the inner bushing], UUC RTABs, powerflex FCABs, and powerflex sway bar bushings front and rear). I have H&Rs and also had to get new rear shocks (one of the old xi Bilsteins was totally blown), so now I have the e36 M3 Bilsteins. I still don't think the car rides badly, and we have some rough roads... It is very stiff, but still reasonably compliant by my standards... When going across small "sharp" bumps is really seems like you hear the thuds much more that you feel the jolts. Might not be a setup everyone wants, but I find it odd that some people who have tried a single poly item, say RTABs, switch back due to the harshness... They must not know what they are getting into when they get poly because I can't imagine that one change would be all that dramatic.

I plan to make a thread about my changes, at some point, but I thought I would go ahead and share with you guys.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #285
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
I have poly RTABs and while the car is kind of stiff it's not bad at all in my opinion.
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, poly FCAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap, M56 valve cover

"No, thanks. I'm a vegetarian." Is a fun thing to say when someone hands you their baby.

Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #286
xi46

My Ride: 2002 330xi ZPP/SP/CW
Xi Lowering / Have Your Cake & Eat It Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason325xi View Post
I have poly RTABs and while the car is kind of stiff it's not bad at all in my opinion.

Same here, as well as poly FCABs, differential bushings, and rear sway bar bushings. No noticeable increase in NVH over stock, just sharper control. Planning to solid mount my subframe as well once I reinforce the floor.

As far as my suspension goes. Iíll be installing it within the next week or two hopefully!

Last edited by xi46; 12-03-2017 at 03:55 PM.
xi46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #287
mr_y82

My Ride: 01 325xi Sedan
^I wonder how much difference one could notice between the solid subframe mounts and poly? The Superpro kit looked good and gets rid of the empty space the stock rubber mounts leave (Powerflex mounts were quite a bit higher; they also sell inserts to use stock rubber bushings and fill the space with poly, but I did not like that idea). I think it's a good (albeit expensive, if you can't do it yourself!) upgrade.

ECS did have a sale on Powerflex... might still be going on. I figured since I don't do such things myself, and labor is a bear, I might as well do it once and do it right. I am glad I am happy with the result. It's still more comfortable than the old Prelude was with similar upgrades and all poly. Now I can out corner M cars and get beat down the straights by a Camry, lol...

Best wishes to all.

Last edited by mr_y82; 12-04-2017 at 09:53 PM.
mr_y82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #288
ZHP330Ci

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
For the last 6 months I've been working hard at lowering the E46 Xi chassis suspension, through a cumulative effort with different forum members I've accomplished my goal of not only Lowering the Xi chassis but also providing a smooth & compliant ride at the same time. (Having Your Cake & Eating It Too)

The drop will be about 1.00 to 2.00 inches in the front (Depending on Spring Choice) & about 0.25 to 0.75 inches in the rear, this drop will "Even Up" your current look because as you know the front sits Much Higher than the rear. All in all this will make your Xi chassis E46 look Great while still maintaining its AWD capability with ease. Some of the best points about this suspension system are:

1) You'll still have a nice factory OE ride with planted handling that's very smooth feeling.
2) The price is Very affordable at roughly ~$799.
3) The Front & Rear shocks are BOTH Externally Adjustable, meaning you can make strut or shock adjustments in seconds by twisting a knob.

The four major components to making this Xi Lowering a reality are:

1) Sport Front Xi Struts.
2) Rob43 Special 9 Way External Adjustable Rear Shocks, these special shocks are not only a bigger diameter (they fit perfectly) than any other E46 shock, but they're priced right too.
3) RWD* Lowering Springs.
4) Supreme Power Drop** Hats.

This suspension can also be easily fitted to an Xi Touring chassis, it was tested on several with excellent results.

If you'd like one of these Xi Lowering suspensions for yourself, shoot me a PM & we'll discuss it.

Rob43

##############################################

Review Of This Setup !!!
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1112564

##############################################

****** UPDATE: For those of you on a tight budget, I've tested a Non-Adjustable option that gives a nice looking drop that "Evens" things up and rides like Stock OE for comfort. Price shipped is roughly ~$549 for this option !!!

* It's NOT well known, but certain RWD suspension parts fit the Xi chassis perfectly; Choosing the "Correct" RWD Springs are one of those items. Only one or two RWD springs can actually lower the Xi chassis the way you'd want.

** Depending on options these might NOT be needed, this could save you ~$90 dollars.

Rob,

Are you still selling these setups for a XI wagon? Tried to send you a message but your box is full.

Thanks
ZHP330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #289
drehart

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Rob,
I have some Suspension questions as well.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
drehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #290
dragondrpr

My Ride: e46
Drop hats HD h&r lowering springs been a few year since I last ripped a boot discovered not to let the suspension unit hang. lowering it with a jack under the control arm just having enough space to remove and replace

Sent from my [device_name] using E46Fanatics mobile app
dragondrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #291
Reasoned1

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
Transmission: 6MT
Hey, Rob--you stiill in business?
Reasoned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 AM   #292
Cooolone

My Ride: 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
Hey, Rob--you stiill in business?
crickets...
Cooolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #293
Reasoned1

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
Transmission: 6MT
Too bad--the guy seemed to really know his sh... stuff.
Reasoned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:09 AM   #294
Cooolone

My Ride: 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
Too bad--the guy seemed to really know his sh... stuff.
An assumption... as nobody can validate the suspension and information, so people could repeat the results.

You have to take their word for it absent that information. Saying I achieved this or that, but can't tell you how I did it is counter-intuitive! Never seen anything like it on "any" car forums I've been on. Information is always shared freely and willingly.

Anyways...
Cooolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #295
thereem

My Ride: 330xi. kenworth t680
I need his rear shocks too but he is inactive. People act like this is some top government secret and are willing to take this to the grave lol. Whatever
thereem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #296
ChillPhilTX

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xi Wagon
Do you still have this suspension upgrade? I have a 2001 BMW 325xi wagon and I'm really interested
ChillPhilTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #297
SpacemanONtruck

My Ride: Bmw 325xi
Hello everybody! 4 month past after xi suspension has been rebuild and lowering kit installed ( I have front set bilstiene performance b6 with eibach pro kit springs). Looks grate(as soon as possible wanna install drop hats), grate steering as well, BUT when I driving on freeway over the bumps, I hear and feel very hard hit (when struts hits the upper spring hats). Bump stops have been removed. Is this happen because springs too soft ?

SpacemanONtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #298
SpacemanONtruck

Also, not long ago in this forum I wrote that I was trying to install m3 e46 front shocks. For these who wanna try or think to install e46 m3 oem front strut assembly - IT DOESN'T FIT for xi. I just wasted money and time. Lol

Old 03-06-2018, 12:06 AM   #299
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanONtruck View Post
Hello everybody! 4 month past after xi suspension has been rebuild and lowering kit installed ( I have front set bilstiene performance b6 with eibach pro kit springs). Looks grate(as soon as possible wanna install drop hats), grate steering as well, BUT when I driving on freeway over the bumps, I hear and feel very hard hit (when struts hits the upper spring hats). Bump stops have been removed. Is this happen because springs too soft ?

You needed to shorten the bump stop a little bit prob an inch. For others reading this don't remove your bump stops it's stupid and unsafe to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanONtruck View Post
Also, not long ago in this forum I wrote that I was trying to install m3 e46 front shocks. For these who wanna try or think to install e46 m3 oem front strut assembly - IT DOESN'T FIT for xi. I just wasted money and time. Lol

I seem to remember this...I have a feeling I might have said it wouldn't work.

zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #300
SpacemanONtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
You needed to shorten the bump stop a little bit prob an inch. For others reading this don't remove your bump stops it's stupid and unsafe to do.

I seem to remember this...I have a feeling I might have said it wouldn't work.

I cutted bump stop an about 1.2 inch, but then I red in some other russian forum that it's stupid do not remove the bumps and that's why it's happen. Anyway I realised that it's not right and I going to install it back and just drive carefully.