Driver Side Power Seat -- How to repair if you can't move the seat? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
SomebodySysop

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Driver Side Power Seat -- How to repair if you can't move the seat?

I have 2002 330 ci convertible. The motorized driver side seat back/forward function stopped working years ago. All the other motorized seat functions still work. When I press the button to move it forward or back, I hear clicking sound (it appears to come distinctly from right side of seat), but seat doesn't budge.

My problem is that the seat is stuck in the back position, so the rear rail screws cannot be accessed in order to remove it. Also, because the seat is all the way back, accessing the motors under the seat (from the rear) is almost impossible.

I have been to two repair shops who have given me options like disassembling seat or cutting rails -- all exorbitantly expensive operations.

I have done a number of Google searches for a resolution to this. While I have found several users who have resolved problem by getting motor to work (jiggle wires, replace, etc..) none have explained how they got to the motor when the seat was all the way back.

I have attached photos of what I can see underneath the seat. I am only able to see from the rear because I can get the camera down in that small space -- not my head. But, if I knew what I was looking for, I perhaps, with a mirror, could get my hands down there and monkey around.

My point for posting all of this is to ask if *anyone* has *any* ideas on how to approach resolving this. Is it possible to get to the motor, given the circumstances, from the front? If so, what needs to be removed? If not, what can I try, considering I am only able to get no more than my hands in there?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191112_120826.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	787905   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191112_120840.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	787907   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191112_121159.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	787909   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191112_121237.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	787911  

SomebodySysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
It is possible to still move the seat. I haven't had to do it, but I know it's possible. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ectric/EXTTDxq

You should be able to gain some access by raising the rear of the seat, that's a separate motor and drive, then you'll have to get in there with either a reciprocating saw like in the tis, or maybe a die grinder with a ziz wheel.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
if it clicks means that problem in not on wiring,
i had the same problem of you,
i solved by spraying a lot of Wd40 and then by hitting the motor with a small hammer..
motor brushes were stuck

before doing anything try to remove the motor, TIS solution is only valid if the seat is stucked into the rails
TheRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Zyaltr

My Ride: 03-330cic,14-535 IX
In the same boat...I have been able to remove the rear 2 motor but cannot get drive motor to move it forward or back. Curious to see what your final remedy will be. Good luck.
Zyaltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
SomebodySysop

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyaltr View Post
In the same boat...I have been able to remove the rear 2 motor but cannot get drive motor to move it forward or back. Curious to see what your final remedy will be. Good luck.
I took all the info I have gathered so far and went to a professional mechanic. From RealOEM.com, we know which motor it is. He did some diagnoses and believes it is the motor failing to turn (I think, based on other comments, it could alternately be the seat drive gear). But, we gotta start somewhere. So, the next step is to get a working motor. If it is, in fact the motor, and he can somehow get the old one out and the new one in enough to connect to gears (a la what Han did here: ), then we should be able to move the seat forward, and thus reveal the 2 back rail screws.

At least, that's the plan moving forward.
SomebodySysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
clarc95

There is a single motor that controls the fore and aft movement of the driver's seat. My guess is that the inboard drive gear and/or rack is stripped.

snaptube telegram web

Last edited by clarc95; 12-02-2019 at 03:31 AM.
clarc95 is offline   Reply With Quote