Let's talk insulation - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: pisses off liberals
Let's talk insulation

The skinny:

Quad level house built in 1955, brick on block construction. I'm guessing there is little to no insulation in our exterior walls. We do have blown in insulation in the attic.

We had our annual home and garden show last weekend. One thing that caught our eye was the spray foam guys. I think there were 4 different companies there that were offering it. We set up appointments with 3 of them to get estimates. First guy just left, quote was $5700 for 1400 ft. He would be doing all our exterior walls and two party walls in our garage.

Anyone else go this route for their insulation? I'm wondering if the ROI is worth it. It seems like a great product, just wondering if anyone here has any feedback. Energy bill savings were estimated at 30-50% which would sure be nice but I doubt that's a realistic expectation. Anyone have any feedback?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5ynd1cat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
What's the R value of the insulation?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
5ynd1cat3

Paperwork says, "USA Insulation to insulate exterior walls using USA Premium Foam Insulation to R-5.1 per inch."

We didn't sign anything yet he just left paperwork in case we decided to move forward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
SamDoe1

So how many inches is he going to put in? (giggity)

If he's just doing one, then it's not worth it. If you're going to get R15 or more then I'd say go for it. I bet you get a lot of energy savings out of it. That said, if you are injecting spray into the cavity between drywall and brick, you'll never be able to run any wires or plumbing through those walls ever again. Just FYI.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #5
5ynd1cat3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
So how many inches is he going to put in? (giggity)

If he's just doing one, then it's not worth it. If you're going to get R15 or more then I'd say go for it. I bet you get a lot of energy savings out of it. That said, if you are injecting spray into the cavity between drywall and brick, you'll never be able to run any wires or plumbing through those walls ever again. Just FYI.

No drywall, we have plaster walls. It's my understanding that he would be filling the cavity (giggity) between the brick and block. As far as how many inches he's putting in (double giggity), I'm not sure I understand the question. You asking how thick the cavity is?

Old 03-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
No drywall, we have plaster walls. It's my understanding that he would be filling the cavity (giggity) between the brick and block. As far as how many inches he's putting in (double giggity), I'm not sure I understand the question. You asking how thick the cavity is?
Yes. If he's completely filling the cavity with white foam (giggity) insulation then the depth of the cavity becomes your ratio to generate an R value.

So yes, what's the depth between the brick and the block that would get filled?

Again, if you ever want to run wires or stuff through those walls, I'd caution against doing this but if you don't care, it certainly won't hurt since even with ~3.5" fill depth (giggity), you'd have an R value nearly the same as normal insulation and will definitely improve your home's efficiency. Another place to make sure you have sprayed is the crack (giggity) between the floor trusses and the concrete foundation if you can access that area.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
Chris3Duke

Somehow I missed this thread the first time around.

You don't want to fill the cavity between block and brick. That's a drainage plane. Similarly, you don't want to caulk the lintels above windows and doors in brick exterior. If you do, you block drainage, and the brick loses its natural ability to shed water.

If you want to insulate walls, you insulate the inside of the block, between the stud bays. I'm considering doing this to my next house, and am thinking about running PVC conduit first for any future wiring/cable/lines. You're right, if you don't do this, you make it much harder to run wiring in the future.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote