Tech stock swap help....would you do it? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Tech stock swap help....would you do it?

Ok guys, I know we have some seasoned investors, so Im interested in your thoughts......

I own a fair amount of APPLE stock and have earned a 4x return on my investment over the years....on top of that, the money is in my Roth. While I do think AAPL is a secure investment, I want to maximize my earnings because...well, it's a ROTH. So, while many of you may disagree, I have a simple investing philosophy...since I am not in finance...I invest only in products/companies I either use, or believe in AND understand. Sure I invest in precious and non precious metals, pharma, etc, but generally, I invest in stuff I know and understand. Im sticking kicking myself for not buying into Chipotle, but that's another story.

In my personal opinion, while I do see AAPL selling their stuff, I see them losing marketshare slowly, and their innovation is kind of stunted..as a result, I don't see myself making much more money on them....so, I want to swap my tech money...and I think Facebook is a great bet. It seems to me they are the next google with money generation. Targeted ads, zero real competition, etc are all recipes for $600 per share pricing down the line.....hell, I pay facebook to advertise lol my services.

So, the TL: DR version...would you swap a bunch of AAPL stock for FB stock? Your opinion is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-25-2015 at 08:10 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
No, I'd swap individual company stock for low fee index fund ETFs to establish a balanced portfolio with an acceptable risk level, which doesn't include using any significant percentage of investment assets allocated to one company (loosely defined as more than 0.5% of investment assets invested in a single company's stock).

Unless of course I had the time and capital to diversify across hundreds+ of individual companies effectively (effectively meaning - after evaluating each company against their competitors and other similar entities to determine which one I believed based on financial evidence would outperform the others and repeat that analysis for each company on a recurring basis).

Second thought - many people "used and believed in " K-mart, GM, etc but that has never kept companies from screwing investors over when their finances were not as positive as their customer experiences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog posts:

Last edited by Wraisil; 11-25-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
NFRs2000nyc

I have a few good and safe ETFs. This money Id like to keep higher risk but higher reward. I made some money here and there on tesla, but they are a bit too shaky and volatile for me.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
NFRs2000nyc

Out of curiosity though, what are some good performing etfs that have done well for you?

Old 11-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
I use Vanguard ETFs for my brokerage account (I'd use them in my 401k if they were available). Primarily VTI and VYM, though I have a relatively smaller position in VUG and a very small position in AGG.

My blog posts:

Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote