Spannerhead's 2002 Orient Blue 330i/5 Slicktop - Page 8 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #141
Spannerhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,600
My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Thanks guys. All good info. Will bear all of it in mind when the time comes to take the next step.

Last edited by Spannerhead; 02-08-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #142
lllRazorlll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,113
My Ride: Accord Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vas View Post
The D2S 4.0 is the go-to projector now verses the fxr
Is that the Morimoto Mini?

Looks to be about 1cm shorter in length compared to the FX-R so maybe it could fit in the housing with no cutting. Still doubt it though. Regardless, it's bound to have insane light output
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by lllRazorlll; 02-08-2018 at 12:23 PM.
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #143
Vas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 314
My Ride: zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
Is that the Morimoto Mini?

Looks to be about 1cm shorter in length compared to the FX-R so maybe it could fit in the housing with no cutting. Still doubt it though. Regardless, it's bound to have insane light output
Correct. It is the Mini d2s 4.0
Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #144
YoitsTmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,568
My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
This thing still running?
__________________
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #145
Solidjake
Shifting
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC/Philly
Posts: 31,851
My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
This thing got some projectors installed?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #146
Spannerhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,600
My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
This thing still running?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
This thing got some projectors installed?
No.

We have a rental property on the market; once that sells there will hopefully some more interesting updates.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #147
Spannerhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,600
My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Gave the E46 a little love this past weekend:

- My driver's rear tire is nearly bald on the inside shoulder. Passenger side wear is even. Somewhat odd, but I swapped them side-to-side and will be ordering new rears in the near future.
- I think I need new rear shocks. I suspect they're original---there's rust around the top of the shaft and the bumpstops are falling apart. Additionally, the trunk liner that cover the shock towers is completely intact; no sign of removal to replace. And I'm getting a faint rattling noise from the right rear corner. RTABs seem OK; no movement or clunking from either.
- This nut worked its way just a bit loose again:



I had to disconnect the swaybar mounts to be able to get a wrench on the nut to torque it. Awful location. Tightened it as much as I possibly could. There's still a very minor amount of play, but complete tightness will have to wait for a full control arm replacement, most likely.

Last edited by Spannerhead; 03-26-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #148
shoman24v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 540
My Ride: 2002 330i 2000 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Gave the E46 a little love this past weekend:

- My driver's rear tire is nearly bald on the inside shoulder. Passenger side wear is even. Somewhat odd, but I swapped them side-to-side and will be ordering new rears in the near future.
- I think I need new rear shocks. I suspect they're original---there's rust around the top of the shaft and the bumpstops are falling apart. Additionally, the trunk liner that cover the shock towers is completely intact; no sign of removal to replace. And I'm getting a faint rattling noise from the right rear corner. RTABs seem OK; no movement or clunking from either.
- This nut worked its way just a bit loose again:



I had to disconnect the swaybar mounts to be able to get a wrench on the nut to torque it. Awful location. Tightened it as much as I possibly could. There's still a very minor amount of play, but complete tightness will have to wait for a full control arm replacement, most likely.
I'm guessing you have bad rear shocks, that's why your tire is so worn. I would replace the shocks, new shock mounts, and install reinforcement plates before buying new tires. If your bump stop is toast it could be from the blown shock.

If you haven't replaced the rear trailing arm bushings, they are bad. Replace those with RTAB limiters if you decide to install original bushings.

Are your control arms original?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
__________________
| 2002 330i - 104k | 2000 528iTA - 151k |
My E46 Maintenance Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #149
Spannerhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,600
My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
I'm guessing you have bad rear shocks, that's why your tire is so worn. I would replace the shocks, new shock mounts, and install reinforcement plates before buying new tires. If your bump stop is toast it could be from the blown shock.
How would a bad shock cause the tire wear? The shocks don't control wheel position; they just dampen its up-and-down movement.

The bump stop just looks old and crumbly from time; doesn't look like it's been impacted by the top of the shock.

I'd like to replace all 4 shocks at the same time. Looks like Sachs is OEM...

Quote:
If you haven't replaced the rear trailing arm bushings, they are bad.
How do you figure? No play back there; no clunking.

Quote:
Replace those with RTAB limiters if you decide to install original bushings.
10-4.

Quote:
Are your control arms original?
Doubt it. The balljoint boots look too good to have traveled 165K. One of the first things I did after I bought the car was to replace the FCABs (but not the arms).
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #150
shoman24v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 540
My Ride: 2002 330i 2000 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead
How would a bad shock cause the tire wear? The shocks don't control wheel position; they just dampen its up-and-down movement.
A worn shock would not provide dampening to keep the wheel on the ground. Ever notice cars sometimes driving down the freeway with a wheel bouncing like crazy? Yours could be in this realm... or you did a crazy one wheel burnout. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead
The bump stop just looks old and crumbly from time; doesn't look like it's been impacted by the top of the shock.
Okay, that's good. I'd also consider replacing these parts when you install new shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead
How do you figure? No play back there; no clunking.
You won't get play per say, but the metal inner part of the bushing separates from the rubber bushing. The real wheel will wander when bumps are hit or when you make turns. The limiters in this case keep the wheel from having unexpected changes in toe. As that bushing wears that toe tolerance becomes greater. I know in my experience you may not notice any issues in the rear end, but I guarantee if you replace the bushings you'll feel the difference.

In my photo you can see that while the rubber looks good on my old bushings, it is clearly separating.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead
Doubt it. The balljoint boots look too good to have traveled 165K. One of the first things I did after I bought the car was to replace the FCABs (but not the arms).
One way you can check the ball joints is to turn the wheel slightly out on each side. Put your foot on the wheel and push to move the wheel, it shouldn't move. If it does, that's a good indication you have bad ball joints.
__________________
| 2002 330i - 104k | 2000 528iTA - 151k |
My E46 Maintenance Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #151
Spannerhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,600
My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
A worn shock would not provide dampening to keep the wheel on the ground. Ever notice cars sometimes driving down the freeway with a wheel bouncing like crazy? Yours could be in this realm... or you did a crazy one wheel burnout. lol.
No burnouts, haha. And the car drives perfectly smoothly---EXCEPT for a very minor rear end vibration that crops up from 50-60 mph (smooth above and below). That's what prompted me to check everything in the first place.

Quote:
Okay, that's good. I'd also consider replacing these parts when you install new shocks.
That's the plan. Reinforcement plates front and back also.

Quote:
You won't get play per say, but the metal inner part of the bushing separates from the rubber bushing. The real wheel will wander when bumps are hit or when you make turns. The limiters in this case keep the wheel from having unexpected changes in toe. As that bushing wears that toe tolerance becomes greater. I know in my experience you may not notice any issues in the rear end, but I guarantee if you replace the bushings you'll feel the difference.

In my photo you can see that while the rubber looks good on my old bushings, it is clearly separating.

[IMG]
Good info. I'd like to replace those also, and from what I hear, with the proper tool it's a pretty painless job.

Quote:
One way you can check the ball joints is to turn the wheel slightly out on each side. Put your foot on the wheel and push to move the wheel, it shouldn't move. If it does, that's a good indication you have bad ball joints.
Which direction am I trying to move the wheel with my foot? About the turning axis?
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #152
shoman24v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 540
My Ride: 2002 330i 2000 528iT
Just kinda push it forward and backwards with your foot, like if you were going to move it left and right, I guess horizontal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
__________________
| 2002 330i - 104k | 2000 528iTA - 151k |
My E46 Maintenance Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #153
Spannerhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,600
My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Some updates:

- Had a misfiring issue (P1343) a couple of months ago that was traced to a bad coil. Swapped in replacement and it runs like a champ. Good power everywhere and perfectly smooth at speed; no vibrations at all from the engine, drivetrain or suspension.
- Replaced the rear tires about a month ago. The fronts are about a year old but still fresh. Thick rubber on all 4 corners is very nice.
- Tinted the windows last week. 40% all around:







I really like it. It helps with the heat, protects the interior and gives the car a hint of a more aggressive look.

Also, just installed this yesterday:



Love it, although it makes my scratched-up ashtray and storage cubby lids look pretty janky... Need to replace those, or at least scrub off the rubber coating. Ugh.

I really want to upgrade the lighting now. Xenons, clear corners and side repeaters and LED tails would perfectly complete the "look" I'm going for.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #154
zander271
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,042
My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
I always think amber lights look better on blue and dark green cars. If it was me I would keep the amber


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #155
YoitsTmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,568
My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
can't believe you don't have xenons. I have some Mishimoto Mini's if you want them and if you can fab a bit. Otherwise I'll use them. Happy to pass them to someone who would love xenons. Enjoying the build, my favorite sedan on the forums.
__________________
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:29 AM   #156
Spannerhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,600
My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Yeah the original owner ticked (and left un-ticked) every option box I would have when he/she ordered the car in 2002---except Xenons. Thanks for the offer! How much fabbing is involved? My electronics-fu is not strong. And thanks for the compliment!
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:22 AM   #157
YoitsTmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,568
My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
The wiring is easy, but I stupidly realized that although I have the projector (what I offered), you'd be missing the bulb, ballast, and all that jazz ($$). The kits aren't hard to put in, I did it in my moms car. If I were to do it again I'd make sure get get D2S bulbs in. I have spare bulbs I could let go for really cheap for you
__________________
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #158
Spannerhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,600
My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Understood. I think I'll pass---I really need something that's plug-and-play---but thanks though!

Last edited by Spannerhead; 06-28-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #159
shoman24v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 540
My Ride: 2002 330i 2000 528iT
Car is looking great Spannerhead. ZHP nob give it a nice touch!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
__________________
| 2002 330i - 104k | 2000 528iTA - 151k |
My E46 Maintenance Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:11 AM   #160
YoitsTmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,568
My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Understood. I think I'll pass---I really need something that's plug-and-play---but thanks though!
Totally get it. When you're ready, PM me. I won't sell you my kit but I'll show you some sub $200 kits like the one I put in my moms car keep up with the good work
__________________
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.