01' M3 Convertible Leak - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #41
Mikemagro

I'm actually concerned that the leak is happening closer to the A pillars. There's what looks like a drainage hole in the end of the weather stripping. I cleaned it out but idk how much that helped the seal itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7E70D9E-14EA-4FA0-9968-ECE07C76CF2F_1578864196985.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	791533   Click image for larger version

Name:	480DCBB0-6251-4659-A491-6A8777845BBD_1578864217777.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	791535   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF58E77C-D686-4420-A86E-6BA49D5E6AED_1578864231585.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	791537  
Mikemagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #42
jds2726

My Ride: 2003 325Ci Cabrio
Transmission: ZF 5HP-19
Unfortunately the problem has reappeared on my vert... I'm thinking of just buying new weatherstripping to go across the top at this point..

My drainage hole on the side that leaks drains really slow - reluctant to put drano down it though.

Mike, What car do you have?
jds2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #43
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2726 View Post
...reluctant to put drano down it though.
I just did this with Hair & Grease from Home Depot. I used a sacrificial squirt bottle from a Dollar Tree box of hair coloring to drip the drain cleaner into the drain hole. After 5-6oz of drain cleaner, I thoroughly rinsed it with another 8-9oz of water. Both drains are freely flowing once again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #44
jds2726

All2kool,

This was drain hole on the A-pillar corners right? Did you notice any discoloration on the rubber or on the painted panel under the car where the drain is?

I went to the store to get draino the other day but chickened out after hearing it can strip paint...

Last edited by jds2726; 02-25-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #45
All2kool

Quote:
This was drain hole on the A-pillar corners right?
Correct. The drains that are in the windshield that become visible when you open the roof.

Quote:
Did you notice any discoloration on the rubber or on the painted panel under the car where the drain is?
None on the rubber, did not peel it back.

Quote:
...but chickened out after hearing it can strip paint
Definitely thoroughly rinse not only the drain hole but all areas it drains too also, which is visible with the door open.

Previous:

Old 02-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #46
jds2726

Thanks, i'm definitely going to try it then, I'll just give it a real good cleaning after I do it.

I also ordered a used gasket to replace the one that goes across the front of the canvas - i got it on Ebay for $70... figured it'd be worth a try.

I'm tired of being dripped on lol
Old 02-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #47
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
I just did this with Hair & Grease from Home Depot. I used a sacrificial squirt bottle from a Dollar Tree box of hair coloring to drip the drain cleaner into the drain hole. After 5-6oz of drain cleaner, I thoroughly rinsed it with another 8-9oz of water. Both drains are freely flowing once again.
I still had a drip however. As another owner posted (this thread, #21), stuffing a bit of foam rubber in the gap where the roof meets the window solved his drip so I did this too. I then inspected the lip of the roof (roof open 4-5"only ) and found a split in the rubber seal (this thread, #39). I masked off the area, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, and then carefully injected Gorilla Silicone Sealer into the wound, extending beyond the split by 1/2" on both ends. Let it set for 30 minutes and then closed the roof. I then liberally brushed on two coats of 303 Water Repellent to the front corner of the roof.

That was a few days ago and it rained today. No drips. The area where it was dripping isn't even damp.

Previous:

Last edited by All2kool; 02-29-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #48
jds2726

Quote:
I used the drain cleaner and my drain flows smoothly again! I used a syringe to feed it into the hole and then flooded it with the hose awards. However, it didn't fix my issue - still have a pretty big leak. I put the gasket I got from ebay on today but haven't tested it yet. It came with a tear on each side near the corners but I tacked it back together with super glue.

Quote:
I then liberally brushed on two coats of 303 Water Repellent to the front corner of the roof.
I'm going to try coating that corner in 303 too and I'll test it when it warms up, currently under freezing here so I'm going to have to wait to turn my hose back on.

Fingers crossed this works
Old 02-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #49
jds2726

Just tested with the new seal on - still leaks. Haven't tried the 303 yet but I doubt it's going to help. Irritated with it at this point

Last edited by jds2726; 02-29-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #50
All2kool

Quote:
I still had a drip however. As another owner posted (this thread, #21), stuffing a bit of foam rubber in the gap where the roof meets the window solved his drip so I did this too. I then inspected the lip of the roof (roof open 4-5"only ) and found a split in the rubber seal (this thread, #39). I masked off the area, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, and then carefully injected Gorilla Silicone Sealer into the wound, extending beyond the split by 1/2" on both ends. Let it set for 30 minutes and then closed the roof. I then liberally brushed on two coats of 303 Water Repellent to the front corner of the roof.

That was a few days ago and it rained today. No drips. The area where it was dripping isn't even damp.
Still no drips and the roof is as wet as it can be at this very moment after much precipitation over the last 12 hours. Not sure which of my remedial actions solved the issue but I'm certain that the passenger side drain wasn't completely clogged as there was no standing water anywhere in the area at any time I opened the roof in the last 4 years.

I am certain that the seal was split so I'm going with fixing that as the solution. I doubt that the stuffing of foam insulation was of any use. And although I painted the corner with 303 Water Repellent, that corner is soaking wet.

Previous:

Old 03-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #51
jds2726

So the water started to drain slowly down the one drain hole again so this time I put a few syringes of Hair & Grease Remover from home depot down the dry drain and let it sit for at least 10 minutes or so, being careful to wash off any that got on the paint. This time, after flushing with water, my leaks have stopped! Hasn't leaked once since, even after flooding the corner with a hose!

I also tried that 303 but the roof still gets soaks - I doubt it's helping a ton. Going to try painting it on with a brush next time.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #52
All2kool

Quote:
...so this time I put a few syringes of Hair & Grease Remover from home depot down the dry drain and let it sit for at least 10 minutes or so, being careful to wash off any that got on the paint.
Hair & Grease is excellent stuff. I discovered it after I moved into the apartment above mine 10+ years ago. I had always wondered why, as the downstairs tenant, the upstairs tenants always took baths and never showers. It was because the tub drained slower than a sloth playing Pictionary. After a treatment of Hair & Grease, the drain worked fine. I now use it in my house drains.

As for how our roof drains become clogged, I have a theory: We park our cars outside. All the dirt and pollen that gets into the fabric then gets washed into the drains when it rains. And although our 'always outside getting rained on' roofs still look new, we do need to keep our pollen clogged drains clear.

Previous:

Old 03-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #53
Sev1980

My Ride: 05 M3 02 330cic
Quote:
Unfortunately the problem has reappeared on my vert... I'm thinking of just buying new weatherstripping to go across the top at this point..

My drainage hole on the side that leaks drains really slow - reluctant to put drano down it though.

Mike, What car do you have?
nvm

Last edited by Sev1980; 03-30-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Sev1980 is offline   Reply With Quote