E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Tire and Wheel Flew Off Car

845 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RRRM8E 
#1 ·
I drive a 2003 Chevy Suburban, which I just bought from a private owner for $2,500.
I had a harrowing experience with it the other night. I had the car only two days. Everything seemed fine. All tires looked and felt good.
I was driving and felt a sudden heavy 'thud' come from the driver's side rear. It appeared, at first, I had a blowout or something. I drove up the road about a half mile to find a safe place to get off. When I looked at the car I was shocked! BOTH the wheel and the tire were no longer on the car! Cops came, I told them about where it happened, but they could not find anything. They apparently flew off the car into the ditch by the road or something. It was night and raining. I was only going about 50mph. I have gone back to the scene since but can't find the tire/wheel and the cops know nothing. I have talked with a few people who have never heard anything like this. It is now in the shop awaiting a new wheel and tire.
Any ideas what may have happened to cause this? One suggested loose lug nuts, but there was no warning prior to the mishap. The tire and car was driving very smoothly. I am at a total loss to explain this. I would appreciate hearing opinions on what may have happened. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.