E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Best Angel Eyes in 2019

57K views 93 replies 30 participants last post by  Iridescent 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, hell, I've been here 16 years and I'm posting my first newbie-type question.

I did some searching today and between this and two other BMW forums, almost all the threads I could find are ancient history. The most recent was 3 years ago - an eternity in this market.

Mods, I know this should be in the lighting forum, but I searched there as well and that forum is not so well read, so please leave this here 2-3 days. Please.

So, what are the best AEs for the E46 today? I was ready to order a set of Umnitza V2.5, but then I started searching and came up with more questions than answers. The technology changes too quickly for even a 3 YO thread to be helpful.

Maybe AEs are ancient history, but I have to replace the headlight lenses anyway, so I'm going to do it.

So, what are the best AEs today? And best bang for the buck? I'm NOT looking to build a kit myself. It has to be a relatively user-friendly kit.

[edit] spelling

See less See more
Reactions: AndyBones
#3 ·
OK, but which ones? A few years back there was a big discussion about LED vs CCFL. Which is better? Right now I can buy either the V2, V2.5, or CCFL for roughly the same price. If I buy the LED, I'll get the opaque so they blend better. Are the LED still overly blue?

I know very little about them because for the longest time I didn't even remotely consider them, but now that I have to replace the lenses, I figured why not?

#5 ·
I have the white/amber LED ones from angel eye guy and I'm very pleased.

Imgur album link

My only complaints are that the amber setting is difficult to see when it is bright outside, and if I have them set to amber, they will very quickly flash white when I unlock the car. Otherwise they're very easy to install, fit great, and look fantastic!

Eventually I would like to upgrade to these, which seem to be the newest in angel eye technology!

#7 · (Edited)
Khoalty shut down. Sad, but I think I want to go with CCFL anyway for my next set. I dislike the look of the single LEDs in a band and want a uniform look.

EDIT: Took a look at the E46 Crystal AEs on Angel Eye Guy's store. Those are what I want, but I wish that they tapped into the DRL circuit somehow. ah well, can't have it all.

#12 ·
Bought some unbranded “cotton” angel eyes on Ebay. They have a semi-opaque layer of white to soften the LED glare.

Haven’t let me down once in two years. Good build quality and decent wiring. Brighter than most aftermarket AEs that I’ve seen.

Some no-name brands are complete sh1t but I think I got lucky. If they do break they’re cheap enough to replace. Pretty sure most of this stuff comes from the same factory anyway.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

#13 ·
Thanks everyone. I was not aware of Angel Eye Guy. Liked what I saw and the nice easy installation guide. I've already ordered a set of opaque white with no blinker switching.

I'll post back here when I get them installed. Given how that has been going for me, that may be next year. ;) Actually, things are going to slow down after next month, so probably April. Maybe sooner. The installation looks to be really really easy. Then again, I have to replace my bumper cover/airdam thanks to a truck tire carcass about 15 months ago, as well as the trim under the headlight, so I may wait until the bumper cover/airdam is done and painted.

Geez, I think I need a more active schedule....

Thanks again everyone.

#14 ·
Thanks everyone. I was not aware of Angel Eye Guy. Liked what I saw and the nice easy installation guide. I've already ordered a set of opaque white with no blinker switching.
George, like you I did not know about the Angel Eye Guy and liked the opaque white as well. I will go that route once mine fail (10 years now) if they are nice as they look. Take some pictures as you received them and install them and let us know how it goes... :thumbsup:

#21 · (Edited)
hey George :hi:
yep technology has changed. i years ago bought some OE angel eyes for my E46 because i wanted it to look period correct. lots of hassle to retrofit OE coronas. on my M3 still wanting period correct i made some that look like E39 color. so removed a set of LEDs (after a month that i was giving a try) and installed these. always loved the remote trigger feature when opening and fade out when walking away. amber color was made by BMW because that spectrum can be seen better during daytime lighting that bright white. But BMW gave in after others began bright white because obviously it looked newer tech.

hear the older ccfl are bad in cold weather so LED better

#22 ·
Thanks Alex. That's cool. I was wondering last night if anyone had retrofitted the OE AEs. I figured a retrofit of OE would be much more involved than an aftermarket kit.

I avoided AEs for a long time because I thought they were a fad. Nope. Now all the other kids (manufacturers) are doing it in some form or another. So, I figured it's cool there is yet another way to modernize the E46, while keeping the relative simplicity of the platform. I keep modernizing and subtly modding this car to keep it up to date, sort-of. I AM driving the care I really want to be driving. Well, I want to do the B30 swap (including brakes) and then it will really be the car I want to drive.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I almost didn't ask because I thought it was such a newbie-type question. So glad I did.

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
Like three years ago when I was replacing the lenses on my car I had stumbled across an uninstalled set of Orion V2s on craigslist for $40 so figured what the hell. They look decent and have lasted, and were easy to install.

I've got a different set of headlights on the car now and haven't yet gotten around to swapping them over, but will hit them with some fine sandpaper before I do to give them some better diffusion going forward.

I'm going to do a set of quad xenons and will reinstall them then.

#39 ·
E53 started with factory angel eyes with the LCI facelift in 2004+ They were never run as DRL but many have tried to code them with no success. Most end up rewiring them as we do on our E46 for DRL. Mine come on as side lights only. as per LCM in position 1 or 2. You can code them to flash as turn signals though but just too busy for my tastes.

#42 ·
When I replaced my OEM headlights for the first tme, I bought a pair of DEPO AE headlights from BavAuto. After three years, the left low beam AE was acting up. I tired to fix it three times, but it keep dimming and shutting down.I research and ended up buying aftermarket CCFL AE headlights from iJDMTOY.com here in So. Cal. The headlights were from Spyder Auto. They gave me the best customer service I could ask for. I replaced the low beam bulbs with CanBus 6000K HID bulbs. I am very happy with the result. I also covered the headlight lens with gunmetal protective cover from Lamin-X. I also replaced the OEM taillights with aftermarket ones with LEDS and Fiber optic bulbs from the same company and replaced all the bulbs with LEDs except for the fiber optics.

#43 ·
I got mine from ebay with 56 LEDs on them. Color is 6K, bright white. They have been on my 99 323i since 2012, never had a problem with them. They are clearly visible day and night. CCFLs are not as bright as the LEDs, and LEDs were easier to install as far as I remember. Some LEDs are attached on a single piece of plastic, get those. Never get the quarter circles soldered together. The solder breaks at the junction.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using E46Fanatics mobile app

#46 ·
I have the unitza V4’s in opaque finish, can’t speak to the install. They installed them into new euro OEM facelift headlights I purchased from them. If your in the oncoming car they appear more white than blue, very bright, passing a tractor trailer on the interstate at night illuminates the entire side of the trailer. They are very effective as DRL’s. It’s been a good solution so far, including replacement of my fried adaptive headlights, warning the euro units are not adaptive and have a titanium colored filler peice in lieu of the NA black one. I was fine with that, it has been a one and done solution.

#47 ·
Up until this past year I never really liked the thought of aftermarket angel eyes, but I started to consider it a little while ago as a DRL. How do these typically function (aside from with interior lights or turn signals) - ignition on = AEs on?

Also, thanks this thread, I looked into the installation instructions, which brought me to the realization that a previous owner broke off my corner light mounting tab and gorilla glued my corner light to the fender as the fix. :facepalm: Can’t wait to deal with that..!

#48 · (Edited)
I installed the umnitza V4s three years ago. A miracle for me as I have zero electronics knowledge. Followed a DIY from this site and an email to Umnitza to get it done.

Wired for DRLs, paid for the opaque version so it blurs the choppy LED effect. They run bright during daylight then dimmer at night, as they should.
Especially fond of the delayed shut off that allows me extra light after exiting the car for 2 or 3 minutes.

I don't understand the Umnitza haters, as they responded to my Friday email question on a Saturday. The product is solid after 70,000 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

#50 · (Edited)
My two cents

Had my Umnitza V4s for over a year now with no major issues, I too got the opaque option and wired up the dimmer switch for night use,
They're very bright and makes the car look a lot newer when they're on.

I might make a full review on them one day if anyone is on the fence but here's some highlights
-very bright (in a good way)
-easy-ish to install, I just followed a YouTube video
-fitment is ok, would recommend to have projectors or you'll have a gap around the bowl
-would recommend opaque
-wait for a sale

If fitment is a high priority then I don't recommend getting these (unless there's a way to make them flushed with the High beam Bowl)
but other than that its worth it, Every time I unlock my car it still brings a smile to my face, so its worth it to me

Attachments

#62 ·
Had my Umnitza V4s for over a year now with no major issues, I too got the opaque option and wired up the dimmer switch for night use,
They're very bright and makes the car look a lot newer when they're on.

I might make a full review on them one day if anyone is on the fence but here's some highlights
-very bright (in a good way)
-easy-ish to install, I just followed a YouTube video
-fitment is ok, would recommend to have projectors or you'll have a gap around the bowl
-would recommend opaque
-wait for a sale

If fitment is a high priority then I don't recommend getting these (unless there's a way to make them flushed with the High beam Bowl)
but other than that its worth it, Every time I unlock my car it still brings a smile to my face, so its worth it to me

Just wondering if I can achieve this look on my 01 330ci. Where did you get those exactly? I have no experience when it comes to wiring AEs but I have the time and motivation to learn. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950W using E46Fanatics mobile app

#52 ·
So do most of you run you AEs as DRLs?

I went a slightly different route and wired them to my sidelights (in the UK, sidelights are the tiny T10 wedge bulbs that sit inside the halogen bowl).

So I have the option to turn them on/off from the LCM faceplate.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

#53 ·
So do most of you run you AEs as DRLs?

I went a slightly different route and wired them to my sidelights (in the UK, sidelights are the tiny T10 wedge bulbs that sit inside the halogen bowl).
So I have the option to turn them on/off from the LCM faceplate.
Well they kinda look strange (too busy) with the DRL on aswell. from my experience on the forums most use in place of the extra DRL but also keep them on at night with headlights. so they’re basically always on with key(I’m sure some differ).
our Canadian brothers to the north usually run these in place of their mandatory DRL and code out the factory DRLs.

interesting you call them “sidelights”, I’ve owed many euro spec lights over the decades (Hella/Cibie) and we all called that feature the “city light”.

#56 ·
I currently own the Xenon White Opaque Angel Eyes/Amber Switchback Turn signal style from Angel Eye Guy, they look absolutely killer and I get compliments on them all the time the BIG KEY in making your car look really fresh and new with the Angel eyes is to get new Headlight lens if yours is foggy a pair runs about $25 if I***8217;m not mistaken and makes a world of difference, also the instructions were easy to follow when I got confused at one part I actually texted Angel Eye Guy (Aka Joey) his number is on the business card and he responded to my question within 5 minutes. Great customer service and great product highly recommend! (Link to the ones I own https://angel-eye-guy.myshopify.com...r-led-angel-eyes-white?variant=12263549108306 ) Hope this helps!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.