Very odd tire wear on my conti extreme contacts - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Tire & Wheel Forum

Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #21
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
While I don't disagree that having one oddball strut isn't good, how exactly does a bad strut "change camber"? Camber is simple geometry and unless a strut is shaped like a banana or something the camber is going to be unaffected one strut to the next.
Different struts can have different damping capabilities. If one side responds differently to the other it's not too big a leap to antcipate an impact on the geometry of the front assembly at run time under load. That is when tires wear. not when the car is stationery. It's not simply a matter of component length and adjustment. length. If you were to change the FCABS using two different types of rubber you would expect it to impact the steering under load even if the geometry was perfect at rest. That's why it is always advisable to change these things in pairs.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #22
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Different struts can have different damping capabilities. If one side responds differently to the other it's not too big a leap to antcipate an impact on the geometry of the front assembly at run time under load. That is when tires wear. not when the car is stationery. It's not simply a matter of component length and adjustment. length. If you were to change the FCABS using two different types of rubber you would expect it to impact the steering under load even if the geometry was perfect at rest. That's why it is always advisable to change these things in pairs.
This I don't argue, the rest is a stretch.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #23
RayPooley

Quote:
Why is it a stretch? Explain. Bottom line is what happens under load.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #24
Quadcammer

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
agree with you, the dampening on a different strut might be different, but it will still follow the same path under compression.

The brand of the strut is not the problem. That looks like a tire defect or damage from rubbing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #25
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
agree with you, the dampening on a different strut might be different, but it will still follow the same path under compression.

The brand of the strut is not the problem. That looks like a tire defect or damage from rubbing.
I guess spring rate doesn't matter either huh?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #26
Manolito

My Ride: '04 325iT Manual
On an e46, I would not expect to find the original BMW shocks/struts, but if the others are original, then it is a safe bet that this corner has seen some collision damage that led to suspension replacement. The alignment should have revealed a residual problem, but my experience with alignment shops is that if you are not standing there watching them, they may "set the toe and let 'er go".

One shop went so far as to show me a faked up alignment report for my Volvo. The report said that the caster had changed before/after, but it happened that I had marked the adjustment bolts with a sharpie when I had replaced the struts, and they were in precisely the same position after the alignment.

Another possibility is a suspension bushing failure.
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #27
yrp888

My Ride: X4 x35d, 330Ci, 123d
To elaborate on how a damaged strut "could" be affecting this ... twin tube struts have the main shaft/piston moving inside an inner steel tube that's slightly bigger than the shaft, encased by the generous looking outer tube. I'm thinking, as has @RayPooley, the corner has sustained an impact with the kerb hard enough that the inner tube might have dislodged or loosened leading to all sorts of movement within the outer tube. Such movement would cause unanticipated camber changes with lateral loading. It won't be evident during the wheel alignment because the car isn't under lateral load when the aligning plates are mounted.

I've seen examples of this when I worked for two shock absorber importers in a former life. So while a good strut won't behave like this, a damaged twin-tube strut can.

I think we all agree OP needs to go to a well-regarded suspension business to have everything thoroughly inspected and corrected. Can anyone offer recommendations to the OP in his area?

I would definitely not return to a place that did a wheel alignment and the steering wheel was crooked - that tells me the road test was basically pointless and why would you trust an aligner who can't even tell if the steering wheel is straight?

Have I had this happen? Yes, at a BMW dealer who charged me $450 for a KDS II, the steering wheel was tilted 6 degrees! When I went back and complained the service agent suggested they take the steering wheel off and put it on a different spline ... WTF? I told him in no uncertain terms to do the alignment again until they get it right.

Of course I have never returned to that dealership for an alignment.

Lastly, install M3 caster bush inserts if they haven't been installed already, the stock bushes have holes each side of where the spigot presses in (improves ride quality) and they eventually fail making the LC arm floppy, whereas the M3 bush is solid rubber. I've had them on my 330Ci since 2007, the factory ones were buggered sometime before 90,000km.
yrp888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:24 AM   #28
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrp888 View Post
To elaborate on how a damaged strut "could" be affecting this ... twin tube struts have the main shaft/piston moving inside an inner steel tube that's slightly bigger than the shaft, encased by the generous looking outer tube. I'm thinking, as has @RayPooley, the corner has sustained an impact with the kerb hard enough that the inner tube might have dislodged or loosened leading to all sorts of movement within the outer tube. Such movement would cause unanticipated camber changes with lateral loading. It won't be evident during the wheel alignment because the car isn't under lateral load when the aligning plates are mounted.

I've seen examples of this when I worked for two shock absorber importers in a former life. So while a good strut won't behave like this, a damaged twin-tube strut can.

I think we all agree OP needs to go to a well-regarded suspension business to have everything thoroughly inspected and corrected. Can anyone offer recommendations to the OP in his area?

I would definitely not return to a place that did a wheel alignment and the steering wheel was crooked - that tells me the road test was basically pointless and why would you trust an aligner who can't even tell if the steering wheel is straight?

Have I had this happen? Yes, at a BMW dealer who charged me $450 for a KDS II, the steering wheel was tilted 6 degrees! When I went back and complained the service agent suggested they take the steering wheel off and put it on a different spline ... WTF? I told him in no uncertain terms to do the alignment again until they get it right.

Of course I have never returned to that dealership for an alignment.

Lastly, install M3 caster bush inserts if they haven't been installed already, the stock bushes have holes each side of where the spigot presses in (improves ride quality) and they eventually fail making the LC arm floppy, whereas the M3 bush is solid rubber. I've had them on my 330Ci since 2007, the factory ones were buggered sometime before 90,000km.
I have had the same experience with shop alignment. Got in the car, drove away and the steering wheel was about 10 degrees to the right. Went straight back and gave them a WTF? They just looked at me blank like I was a nutcase. These a55holes had no clue why I would be pissed off. I told them to do it again and actually had to tell them how. Idiots. The first thing you do when doing a front wheel alignment is center the steering wheel. Tie rod adjustments should be made around that.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:27 AM   #29
yrp888

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
I have had the same experience with shop alignment. Got in the car, drove away and the steering wheel was about 10 degrees to the right. Went straight back and gave them a WTF? They just looked at me blank like I was a nutcase. These a55holes had no clue why I would be pissed off. I told them to do it again and actually had to tell them how. Idiots. The first thing you do when doing a front wheel alignment is center the steering wheel. Tie rod adjustments should be made around that.
I guess we're both cynical old bastards Ray!
Old 10-24-2018, 05:36 AM   #30
RayPooley

Quote:
I guess we're both cynical old bastards Ray!
Correct. But not without just cause. Life is often one long ....
Old 10-24-2018, 05:45 AM   #31
yrp888

Makes me laugh (or cry) when I see such incompetence. I've had extensive barista training as it's one of my OCD "problems", and I had the misfortune of watching someone make coffee at the shops around the corner, first time I've been in there when someone walked in and ordered a coffee. So the person behind the counter took the order and payment, then proceeded ... it was hard not to burst out laughing watching such a horrible technique at almost every step.

I should have asked the customer how did it taste ... but I wasn't prepared to hear a "it's fine" answer.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #32
dcminiman_43

My Ride: 2004 325i
*update*....so this happened the shop to little to no strength put to it looks like PO replaced the left side and never bother with this side...Click image for larger version

Name:	20181025_153233.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	759071

Sent from my SM-N960U using E46Fanatics mobile app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #33
66intheSky
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2000
Model: 328i ZSP
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 View Post
*update*....so this happened the shop to little to no strength put to it looks like PO replaced the left side and never bother with this side...Attachment 759071

Jeez

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy J3 Eclipse using E46Fanatics mobile app
66intheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:43 AM   #34
d_cleverzz

My Ride: Manual 2001 330ci
Year: 2001
Model: 330CI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
This happened to me but at a more extreme condition as I am lowered. Same kind of cut and same part of the car. Thereís a part of the fender towards the bottom of the arch kind of where it meets the bumper that sticks out. Iíve bent it flat on my stock fender and replacement fender. It stopped cutting the tire. Give that a try.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

IN SEARCH OF
CONVERTIBLE INTERIOR CARBON FIBER OR PIANO BLACK TRIM
ORIENT BLUE M3 VERT FRONT BUMPER
ORIENT BLUE VERT PRE-FACELIFT FRONT FENDERS
d_cleverzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #35
yrp888

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 View Post
*update*....so this happened the shop to little to no strength put to it looks like PO replaced the left side and never bother with this side...
The shop wasn't worried by the oil leaking out of the strut?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #36
dcminiman_43

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
The shop wasn't worried by the oil leaking out of the strut?
I'm pretty sure it's from the penetrator originally sprayed cause it's all dry there now. But I'll double check that I'm the am tho.

Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote