i love 320ci!! all the questions in one thread! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
320ciLoverDJH

My Ride: fiat punto
i love 320ci!! all the questions in one thread!

ever since i passed, i fell in love with driving, like most boyz, its the most nerve wracking exam of your life.

then when you pass, FRRRREEEEEEEDDDOOOOOMMMM!!! all those long late night driving sessions, cruising with your mates, being a taxi driver.... all your other mates who have just passed or going to..

then a year later.. 90percent of um.. just get over the thrill, and it becomes normal. then theres the truly dedicated, real passionate drivers... a.k.a (me)

ever since i passed, i was prying at all cars going by, and then one day, an e46 320ci went past, all trimmed and glossed. i fell in love.. my dream car...

RIGHT!!! to the point... soon im going to buy a 320ci soon. ive shopped around and they seem to range from 3.5K - 5K average for about 70-110k miles. what should i look out for when buying one?

second... when ive bought it.. of course im going to get it checked!!! from head to toe.. im going to get the bloody head checked for warps. check head gasket, check pistons and pistons rings... all the common faults from previous cars...

once its in working order... this is the biggest question.... what do i do now? where do i go from here? how do i make the engine quicker? i aint going to go the turbo or supercharger route... theres no point... i might as well get a 330i or m3 if im going to go that route.. i hear the best thing to upgrade first is the suspension.. then obv.. the brakes.. what next though? remap stage one? stronger pistons? get engine smoothed out? new exhaust? lower it? whats the best route to take? which steps do i take in which order?... argh!!!! help!!! im looking to spend 5K on top of the car once ive got it.
320ciLoverDJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
JordanBMW

My Ride: 320i 2002 steel blue
Send a message via MSN to JordanBMW
First of all adding 5k in mods too a 3.5k car is stupid. Buy the car spend all your money on maintenance that you will spend on mods. Seems from past experience you have had lots of issues and just basic issues can rack up to the same price as a Honda head gasket replacement. Tsk tsk you should have learned expecsially now since your buying a bmw. Once you have everything in tip top shape. You can use the search button top right for anything you need bra. Just search and you will avoid trolls.

Edit bmws are your best friend or worst nightmare. Supercharging a
320 is pointless you might as well buy a 325 or 330 and supercharge it. Still pointless in my oppinion. I'm not touching anything on my engine until I get a ///

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JordanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
320ciLoverDJH

My Ride: fiat punto
i have recently been looking at 325ci to be fair. espially since the insurance premiums for boys are going down.. only works out 200quid extra a year on insurance for me.
i have had bad luck with previous cars cos i have always only spent 700-900 buying one. i had a peogeot 306 tdi 1.9. i had it for 3 months during xmas time. turbo blew up in. wrecked the engine due to oil leakage between them.
my fiat punto sporting. has had new exhaust and new clutch in a year plus ive had a new head gasket put on it when i got it, not the standard cheap fiat gasket either. metal one. 9months later gasket went again. previous history stated its had 4 new ones. had head checked. the head was warped. causing the head gaskets to go. but due to damage of it going. it cost 700quid to repair the bloody thing. and have head skimmed.
my clio, had a seized rod. wheels werent alligned. cv joints had to be replaced and joints. whole load of other problems too.

what i have learnt from all this is: next when i buy i car i fall in love with (bmw e46 3 series) i am going to spend considerable amount getting it checked perversely inside to out...

obv. any bmw lover wants a m3. but the cost, maintenance and insurance is ridiculus.

anyway, wouldnt it be cheaper just to remap the car rather than getting a turbo or supercharger? cos u would have to get it remapped after you fitted one anyway. i hear you onlyt get 10-15bhp more. so clearly spending 600quid remap is not worth it. might as well get a stainless exhaust for that.
320ciLoverDJH is offline   Reply With Quote