Monitor Advice - 1x49" vs 2x32" vs 3x24"? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
King of Chicago

My Ride: '12 MDX, '19 QX80
Monitor Advice - 1x49" vs 2x32" vs 3x24"?

Current situation is I have a 21" iMac in mud room (family office) and 27" iMac in my office. My company mailed me a pair of 24" Dell monitors to use with my Surface and VM. The 21" Mac is a headache and I think is going in the dumpster, so I thought about replacing it with my 27" Mac, and getting a Mac Mini for my office, and running multiple monitors. So options appear to be:

1) buy a 49" for $700
Pros: cleanest setup, no bezels disrupting screen, biggest single screen
Cons: most expensive option, least amount of total screen size

2) buy a pair of 32" monitors for $400
Pros: Middle of road price, middle of road total screen size, only one split on screen
Cons: split is smack dab in middle of screens, 32" monitors I've found all have huge bezels

3) buy a third 24" monitor for $200
Pros: cheapest, most total screen size, small bezels
cons: clunky setup with three monitors, no curves, two bezel splits

My needs are basic, I'm not a gamer, I don't edit videos, I just use the internet and basic work applications (Salesforce, Outlook, Excel) when I work from home. Most of the time I'm working I have 4-5 windows open (Salesforce, Outlook, Excel, Chrome, and when kids are home my home camera system).

Any insight or pros/cons I'm overlooking?
King of Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
MachRc
When Keepin' it real goes..

My Ride: 2009 E89 Z4 35i
even two 27" will be nice and most of them have very thin bezels and easily under 200

I have never had the need to use three monitors, I think its overkill for what you are going to do with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"This is ten percent luck.. Twenty percent skill.. Fifteen percent concentrated power of will. Five percent pleasure..
Fifty percent pain. And a hundred percent reason to remember the name...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
King of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
even two 27" will be nice and most of them have very thin bezels and easily under 200

I have never had the need to use three monitors, I think its overkill for what you are going to do with it.
only concern with a pair is having he crease right down the middle, reason for 3 is I already have 2/3 so it would be cheapest option with most real estate...
Old 02-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Adamo99

My Ride: 911
How much desktop real estate do you need? ie; are you looking at 27/32" 1080P or 1600P displays, or are they all 4K units? The single 49" is a 4K display, I'm guessing?
What's your distance from the screen? Are you feeding all of these displays with one PC, or multiple video sources?

Personally, I think the 49" display will be huge if it's on a desk in front of you. I'd get something like the Dell 43" Ultrasharp, or even something like a Seiki 39" 4K display. Assuming all signals are coming from one PC, you're getting four (4) 1080P screens on the screen at one time.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
fstopp

My Ride: 330i
I got a 34" LG ultra wide monitor a while ago for work and have not looked back. Clean single monitor setup, plenty of room for applications, and no line down the middle. The onscreen control app lets you section off the screen however you want. I run 3 vertical sections with the middle one a bit larger, so I keep email on the left, and then other apps in the other two. Some of them also have a curved screen which I thinks works really well. They start at around 300 and go up from there.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UC80-B-3.../dp/B074JKT894
fstopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Chicago View Post
Current situation is I have a 21" iMac in mud room (family office) and 27" iMac in my office. My company mailed me a pair of 24" Dell monitors to use with my Surface and VM. The 21" Mac is a headache and I think is going in the dumpster, so I thought about replacing it with my 27" Mac, and getting a Mac Mini for my office, and running multiple monitors. So options appear to be:

1) buy a 49" for $700
Pros: cleanest setup, no bezels disrupting screen, biggest single screen
Cons: most expensive option, least amount of total screen size

2) buy a pair of 32" monitors for $400
Pros: Middle of road price, middle of road total screen size, only one split on screen
Cons: split is smack dab in middle of screens, 32" monitors I've found all have huge bezels

3) buy a third 24" monitor for $200
Pros: cheapest, most total screen size, small bezels
cons: clunky setup with three monitors, no curves, two bezel splits

My needs are basic, I'm not a gamer, I don't edit videos, I just use the internet and basic work applications (Salesforce, Outlook, Excel) when I work from home. Most of the time I'm working I have 4-5 windows open (Salesforce, Outlook, Excel, Chrome, and when kids are home my home camera system).

Any insight or pros/cons I'm overlooking?
Put the 27" in the mud room. Run dual monitors on the surface. What's the purpose of buying yet another Mac that you don't really need. Just use your Surface. Your workflow also doesn't sound like it needs 3 monitors.

IDK what the issue is here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WDE46; 02-28-2020 at 08:27 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: Something
I run a single 43" 4k screen and love it. Some at the office make fun of me but I can run 4 21.5" monitors at the same time.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #8
TNTBOOM

My Ride: NJ transit
This.. but it all depends on what your needs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstopp View Post
I got a 34" LG ultra wide monitor a while ago for work and have not looked back. Clean single monitor setup, plenty of room for applications, and no line down the middle. The onscreen control app lets you section off the screen however you want. I run 3 vertical sections with the middle one a bit larger, so I keep email on the left, and then other apps in the other two. Some of them also have a curved screen which I thinks works really well. They start at around 300 and go up from there.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UC80-B-3.../dp/B074JKT894
TNTBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
MachRc
When Keepin' it real goes..

My Ride: 2009 E89 Z4 35i

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	593994abb1bd5633088b50a4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	794507  

"This is ten percent luck.. Twenty percent skill.. Fifteen percent concentrated power of will. Five percent pleasure..
Fifty percent pain. And a hundred percent reason to remember the name...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: 2008 e90 M3
[/QUOTE]

daaaaaaayaaaaaaaaaam

I use a laptop, 14" monitor, in the middle + 2x21" monitors
1 connected via HDMI cable, 1 via an USB adapter
[ 21 ][ 14 ][ 21 ]

I'm a lawyer so I have to refer to documents a lot while drafting responses or new pleadings
so it's nice to have extra display real estate to keep documents, email, excel spreadsheet, and forums/chats open at the same time

the bezels don't bother me since I am not splitting any website or program open across all monitors
just open a program window within each monitor

XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
King of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
How much desktop real estate do you need? ie; are you looking at 27/32" 1080P or 1600P displays, or are they all 4K units? The single 49" is a 4K display, I'm guessing?
What's your distance from the screen? Are you feeding all of these displays with one PC, or multiple video sources?

Personally, I think the 49" display will be huge if it's on a desk in front of you. I'd get something like the Dell 43" Ultrasharp, or even something like a Seiki 39" 4K display. Assuming all signals are coming from one PC, you're getting four (4) 1080P screens on the screen at one time.
one video source (Mac Mini)
I don't care about display quality
Ideally would have enough screen to easily view 4-5 windows simultaneously
My desk is pretty big 6' wide x 3' deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Put the 27" in the mud room. Run dual monitors on the surface. What's the purpose of buying yet another Mac that you don't really need. Just use your Surface. Your workflow also doesn't sound like it needs 3 monitors.

IDK what the issue is here.
I don't want all my personal browsing on a company computer. I also need a computer here for my family when I'm traveling and have my Surface on the road.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:07 PM   #12
Adamo99

My Ride: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Chicago View Post
one video source (Mac Mini)
I don't care about display quality
Ideally would have enough screen to easily view 4-5 windows simultaneously
My desk is pretty big 6' wide x 3' deep
Just go to Best Buy and pick up a 39 or 43" 4K HDTV. Four 1080P displays in one. One cable, no fussy multi monitor setups/driver issues, and less space taken up because you'll have one monitor, sitting on one stand.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote