Am I Crazy? (testing the For Sale waters) - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #21
Steve M3

My Ride: E46s
I dig the green. I'd say keep it, but it sounds like you are ready to move on and there is nothing wrong with that.
Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #22
Filmy

My Ride: 02 325iT
Year: 2002
Model: 325i Touring
Transmission: Auto
Thanks! I love Oxfordgrun II as well. Here she is just sittin' on a friend's street, lookin' all sexy and sh!t.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Filmy; 11-04-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Filmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:29 AM   #23
Obioban

My Ride: 05 M3, 01 M5, M3iT
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmy View Post
Tourings aren't the kind of cars to be ridden hard and put away wet, as might be a 330i coupe.
Why? Because they have a more practical shape?

The touring chassis has more torsional rigidity than the coupe chassis. It's a more sporty platform, fundamentally. Being more functional doesn't mean it's any less capable of being driven hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Obioban; 11-05-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #24
markseven

My Ride: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

The touring chassis has more torsional rigidity than the coupe chassis. It's a more sporty platform, fundamentally. Being more functional doesn't mean it's any less capable of being driven hard.
I'm not sure about that. the touring is heavier than coupe; I am guessing majority of the additional weight is due to the glass and sheet metal aft of the C-pillar, which is quite possibly the least desirable location given its affect on polar moment and COG.
markseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #25
Obioban

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
I'm not sure about that. the touring is heavier than coupe; I am guessing majority of the additional weight is due to the glass and sheet metal aft of the C-pillar, which is quite possibly the least desirable location given its affect on polar moment and COG.
I haven't had any non M e46s on my scales, but my fully converted M3 wagon with the spare tire/jack removed (which the M3 coupe doesn't have) is <100 lbs heavier than a stockish (lighter than stock) M3 coupe-- and the wagon has better weight distribution front:rear. It would be interesting to see what the COG difference was-- the overwhelming majority of the weight of the roof is the sunroof (e.g. a CF roof is only ~4 lbs lighter than a slicktop steel roof), which is the same on the coupe and wagon.

Compared to a fully stock M3 coupe, the weight difference would be <40 lbs.

^all cars have been adjusted to reflect their weight with a half tank of gas (other than the i3)

Last edited by Obioban; 11-05-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #26
Obioban

Per BMW/real OEM, the coupe roof panel is 11.16 kg and the wagon roof panel is 16.2 kg, so 5.04 kg between the roofs-- ~1/4 the weight difference of a sunroof.

Wagon structural D pillars are 0.464 kg each.

The wagon rear covering skin, which includes the D pillar covers, is actually lighter than the coupes-- 8.382 kg for the wagon, 15.23 kg for the coupe.

Last edited by Obioban; 11-05-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #27
Steve M3

My E46 M3 feels way more athletic than my S54 wagon. I haven't weighed them, but it is rather noticeable driving them back to back.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #28
Obioban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
My E46 M3 feels way more athletic than my S54 wagon. I haven't weighed them, but it is rather noticeable driving them back to back.
The M3 has a ton of chassis stiffening-- it's stiffer than all the e46 body styles, including non fold through sedan (18,500 nm/deg for the M3 coupe vs 12,500 for the non M coupe).

Also... is your M3 coupe stock? Certainly my 3085 lb, 351rwhp M3 coupe feels peppier than my stock M3 weight/hp wagon, too

And, what intake/exhaust are you running on your M3 wagon? As in, lots of setups result in less than stock power.

Either way-- super easy to stick the car on a scale and see. Just pull into a truck weight station if you don't have corner balancing scales.

Last edited by Obioban; 11-05-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #29
Steve M3

Quote:
The M3 has a ton of chassis stiffening-- it's stiffer than all the e46 body styles, including non fold through sedan (18,500 nm/deg for the M3 coupe vs 12,500 for the non M coupe).

Also... is your M3 coupe stock? Certainly my 3085 lb, 351rwhp M3 coupe feels peppier than my stock M3 weight/hp wagon, too

And, what intake/exhaust are you running on your M3 wagon? As in, lots of setups result in less than stock power.
I'm aware of the stiffness differences, but I do have the M3 front chassis plate on the touring which accounts for a lot of the extra stiffness. I don't have the rear V brace, but that couldn't account for the differences that I feel between the cars.

My wagon and M3 are pretty much identical drivetrain wise other than the coupe being SMG. They both have Karb boxes and stock exhaust and both run the same tune. The only difference is the wagon has the Stromung muffler on it.

My mostly uneducated guess is that my wagon picked up some weight with the swap from the heavier M3 bits but didn't get to benefit from the aluminum M3 hood or other areas where the M3 is a bit lighter and is further handicapped by the extra weight that the wagon platform brings to the table.

Don't get me wrong, not complaining about my wagon at all, I've loved every minute of it but it just doesn't feel as athletic as the M3 does, even with both cars being almost identical when it comes to drivetrain mods.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #30
Filmy

Quote:

I'm not saying they're not capable. You can make them into barn burners, regardless of their shape and added weight. And I think an S54 Touring would be a kick in the ass!

I'm saying that an owner who wants to drive more "spiritedly" is much more likely to get a manual coupe or sedan. Coupe owners are probably a bit younger demographic as well. As was stated earlier, Tourings are more for enthusiasts, and more to the point, liked because of their multi-use capabilities. I would also say that it's more likely you'll find a Touring that hasn't been abused, as might be a coupe. It's not a grandfather's car, but it's not likely to be some 20-year-old's first BMW, who then mods the hell out of it and probably doesn't keep the maintenance up. (No offense to 20-somethings, but you can see what I mean by just looking at what's for sale on CL & FB.)

Old 11-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #31
markseven

My Ride: BMW M Power
Quote:
I haven't had any non M e46s on my scales, but my fully converted M3 wagon with the spare tire/jack removed (which the M3 coupe doesn't have) is <100 lbs heavier than a stockish (lighter than stock) M3 coupe-- and the wagon has better weight distribution front:rear. It would be interesting to see what the COG difference was-- the overwhelming majority of the weight of the roof is the sunroof (e.g. a CF roof is only ~4 lbs lighter than a slicktop steel roof), which is the same on the coupe and wagon.

Compared to a fully stock M3 coupe, the weight difference would be <40 lbs.

^all cars have been adjusted to reflect their weight with a half tank of gas (other than the i3)
Quote:
Per BMW/real OEM, the coupe roof panel is 11.16 kg and the wagon roof panel is 16.2 kg, so 5.04 kg between the roofs-- ~1/4 the weight difference of a sunroof.

The wagon rear covering skin, which includes the D pillar covers, is actually lighter than the coupes--
This is really good information... thank you for compiling / sharing.

My comments are based on OP's touring and a corresponding coupe, which according to NADA (best source I found), have a difference of 165 pounds:

Coupe: 3,197 lbs
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2002...2D-325Ci/Specs
Touring: 3,362 lbs
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2002...-4D-325i/Specs
markseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #32
Filmy

UPDATE: Sale Pending (yes, already)

Posted the '02 Oxford Touring for sale today on local (Los Angeles) Facebook Marketplace. $5,500 OBO. If anyone's interested, look there for "2002 BMW Series 3 325iT Wagon 4D"

Local LA CL link: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...058826472.html
I'm gonna look around here in the Touring For Sale threads to see if there's a way to cross-post from Marketplace. I don't think there is.

Last edited by Filmy; 01-19-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:37 PM   #33
Filmy

Final UPDATE: Sold. On the market for six hours, and the first interested party bought it. Just goes to show that keeping an E46 in nice condition is worth it!

Old 01-24-2020, 05:26 AM   #34
King Hill

I may be in the minority here.

Last edited by King Hill; 01-24-2020 at 05:27 AM.
King Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #35
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmy View Post
Final UPDATE: Sold. On the market for six hours, and the first interested party bought it. Just goes to show that keeping an E46 in nice condition is worth it!
It's a beautiful car, I'm not surprised it sold so quickly.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #36
joeybananaz18

My Ride: Oxford Green ZHP
wish our cars were side by side. Ive got an OG over beige ZHP with gold apex Arc-8s. going to list it for sale in the summer.
joeybananaz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:14 AM   #37
Archbid
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Touring about here always sell instantly. Just a beautiful shape for a functional car that is a great driver. It ain't a sports car but it is well balanced for an absolute daily driver.

You just have to replace everything rubber
Archbid is online now   Reply With Quote