door panel screw no longer made - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
door panel screw no longer made

so, i always seem to lose one of these once in a while

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/51417059617/

spoke to ecs yest, it seems fcp has them , cuz they have them in stock, when they are gone , they are gone

now, these panels are off all the time due to reg breakage

why the f, would bmw stop making these ?

is this the beginning of the "no longer available " for our cars?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:11 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Looks familiar. Bet I have a few in my parts bins. When you get desperate for one, come to NJ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #3
Newbimer

My Ride: 2005 325i
These guys are really common you can take them off pretty much any car in the wreckers. Most of them are on the plastic trims holding in the handles, lights etc on and around the headliner, door handles etc. If you need more than a million, you may be in trouble!
Newbimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
pretty standard-looking screw..if it does go away, I think we'll find a replacement..possibly even with a torx head.

Yeah I think we are really at the peak of availability of BMW parts right now...wide selection of OEM, aftermarket (good and bad), used (Ebay, junkyards, dismantlers), most all at decent or fair prices..and much with free shipping.

Availability, selection, price, as no where to go but down from here.
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
The amount of those screws (specifically for the doors) that would need to be replaced is tiny - as in never for 99.999% of E46s. Hell I would say 99.999% of all BMWs SINCE the E46.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 340i | 325Ci
There's probably a part that superseded it.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
wasp9166

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
There's probably a part that superseded it.
nope, believe me ,i tried with ecs , i was like , how come fcp can get it?

can you send me the link?

"they have them in stock, once they are gone, they won't have them either "

i'm gonna take it to hardware store and match it with a phillips i guess , fkn lost one , no idea where the f it went , you gota shake the panel to get em out, the handle ones

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 04-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
i'm gonna take it to hardware store and match it with a phillips i guess , fkn lost one , no idea where the f it went , you gota shake the panel to get em out, the handle ones
This is probably your best bet. We're talking about a simple part with a simple job.

I'd be more concerned if they discontinued those little orange fkers that the dash trim pieces anchor into.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Kneedspeed

My Ride: cars
Year: 2001
Transmission: manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbimer View Post
These guys are really common you can take them off pretty much any car in the wreckers. Most of them are on the plastic trims holding in the handles, lights etc on and around the headliner, door handles etc. If you need more than a million, you may be in trouble!
ditto.

THe screw i would be worried abt losing is the left-hand threaded window regulator screw.
Kneedspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #10
BaliDawg
Here to serve yíall

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
...gonna take it to hardware store and match it with a phillips i guess...
Exactly what I would do.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #12
pedro2u

My Ride: E46 ZHP, E92
Model: 2005 330CI Vert ZHP
Transmission: 6sp MT
I see them here: https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...gaAlvAEALw_wcB

pedro2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #13
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effduration View Post
pretty standard-looking screw..if it does go away, I think we'll find a replacement..possibly even with a torx head.
itís a $.39 fillister head self taping screw. itís no specialty part, agreed wouldnít be worried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
This is probably your best bet. We're talking about a simple part with a simple job
agreed.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:21 AM   #14
IdahoDoug

My Ride: Quattro 20V
The picture of the screw does not look like a self tapping screw, which has an actual tip designed to chew through metal. These look like they are a conventional wood-screw tip, though BMW may call them a "screw, self tapping" in their inventory description. I'd bet money any Fastenal will sell you a box of 50 for $8 all day long. Any head you want on it if you'll wait for them to order a torx/phillips/allen/security type head.
Current fleet: 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan bought w/ 61K.
IdahoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #15
wasp9166

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
yeah, except most of the time the shipping is more than the screw, i'd go to hardware store b4 dealer

Quote:
Old 04-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #16
wasp9166

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoDoug View Post
The picture of the screw does not look like a self tapping screw, which has an actual tip designed to chew through metal. These look like they are a conventional wood-screw tip, though BMW may call them a "screw, self tapping" in their inventory description. I'd bet money any Fastenal will sell you a box of 50 for $8 all day long. Any head you want on it if you'll wait for them to order a torx/phillips/allen/security type head.
agreed, self tapping screw has a drill tip

Quote:
Old 04-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #17
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
i'm still asking myself why you must buy that simple screw @ stealership..

it can be found everywhere a lower price...
TheRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #18
beechbmw

My Ride: 2004 330ci Coupe
Transmission: 6 spd SSG
Quote:
so, i always seem to lose one of these once in a while

spoke to ecs yest, it seems fcp has them , cuz they have them in stock, when they are gone , they are gone

now, these panels are off all the time due to reg breakage

why the f, would bmw stop making these ?

is this the beginning of the "no longer available " for our cars?
I got to thinking about this today while I was wandering in the state park woods while getting some exercise and practicing social distancing. You have a sedan and I have a coupe, both 330s of the same model year. So I looked in realoem.com for both our cars. I just did a model year search for yours using 02/2004 as the build date, same as mine.

I took a guess that the screw you are trying to get is #6 in this drawing:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3246
I then looked for an equivalent screw on my car. Maybe number 8 in this drawing for my car:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3729

I donít know if the one for my car will work or not, since they look similar but not exactly the same, but here are the ecstuning photos for both, and the one for my car is readily available:

For your car:

For my car:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/51419143799/

Just some crazy thoughts while my mind was wandering around.
beechbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:02 AM   #19
wasp9166

haha that's interesting, see , for my screw there are no specs, but for yours there is, that would make searching for a replacement alot easier

ty for your help, yeah, my mind is all over the place too, this us not going to be good for people when it's over

Quote:

Last edited by wasp9166; 04-13-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #20
WhitneyCarvalho

My Ride: BMW
Model: BMW X3
Using a plastic prying tool, gently lever out the door panel trim piece. Start prying at the edge (green arrow) and work your way toward the interior of the car, gently levering the trim piece off the door panel.

Next, using a plastic prying tool, lever out the power mirror switch.

Next, using a plastic prying tool, lever out the power mirror switch.

Once mirror switch has been removed, disconnect the electrical connectors by pulling it straight out of the switch (green arrow).

Once mirror switch has been removed, disconnect the electrical connectors by pulling it straight out of the switch (green arrow).

Then, using a plastic prying tool, lever out the trim plugs from the bottom of arm rest (green arrows).

Then, using a plastic prying tool, lever out the trim plugs from the bottom of arm rest (green arrows). Be careful when removing, be sure to pull them straight out of arm rest - if bent incorrectly, these have a tendency to break.

Then, remove the five T-20 Torx fasteners (green arrows).

Then, remove the five T-20 Torx fasteners (green arrows).

Using a door panel clip tool, release the door panel clips.

Using a door panel clip tool, release the door panel clips. I like to start at the lower corner (green arrow), Then work my way around the door panel, releasing all the other clips. Once the door panel clips have been disconnected, pull the top of the door panel straight off the window seal clips. Start at outer edge of door and work your way toward the interior.

Pull the door panel back enough to access the door handle cable - unclip and release the cable (green arrow) from door handle by the releasing tab and pulling it out.

Pull the door panel back enough to access the door handle cable - unclip and release the cable (green arrow) from door handle by the releasing tab and pulling it out. Then pull the door panel away from the door a little further and disconnect the speaker electrical connectors by pulling it straight off and the guide mirror wiring harness out of the door panel. Once all the electrical connectors are disconnected and detached from the door panel, remove the door panel from the vehicle.

You can now service items behind the door panel and repair as needed. When installing, follow the removal instructions in reverse order. Be sure to replace any damaged door panel clips. Remember to properly route all wiring as before.

facebook video downloader online

Last edited by WhitneyCarvalho; 05-17-2020 at 11:37 PM.
WhitneyCarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote