Cycle rack for the 325Ci Convertible. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
TheRoosterina330iTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bescar,Scarisbrick,Lancashire,England.
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 330i Touring
Year: 2001
Model: 330i Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Cycle rack for the 325Ci Convertible.

Hi to you all out there. I am getting quite conflicting/contradictory information about sourcing a cycle rack for my car.

My BMW dealer has enquired for me and attached the reply from BMW - there apparently no racks available for the car - with or without fitting a tow-bar,I am not keen at all on that idea even if there was one available and so I have looked into the Saris range of racks but it is claimed that they will only fit the 325Ci from 2006 onward !!!!

Has anyone out there ever bought and fitted a Saris Bone 2 or Saris Bone 3 rack to the rear of an 02 reg (2002) E46 Convertible ?

Many thanks.
__________________
Your brakes are only a part of your ability to stop - tyre choice and condition is vital.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheRoosterina330iTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
TheRoosterina330iTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bescar,Scarisbrick,Lancashire,England.
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 330i Touring
Year: 2001
Model: 330i Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Hi to you all out there. Problem solved,the car is now awaiting the fitting of a brand new Saris Bone 2 Cycle Rack.
After trawling E'bay and seeing some of them go for more than retail plus carriage and an element of uncertainty as to an accurate description from some of the sellers,I decided to buy new from High on Bikes,Southport,Lancashire,England.
Two or three had damages declared and securing straps that were not original fitment but they were still fetching silly money.

Once I have fitted it to the car I will post some images.
__________________
Your brakes are only a part of your ability to stop - tyre choice and condition is vital.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheRoosterina330iTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
TheRoosterina330iTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bescar,Scarisbrick,Lancashire,England.
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 330i Touring
Year: 2001
Model: 330i Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Hi again. As promised I have taken images of the Saris Bone 2 Cycle Rack fitted to the rear of my car.

The anchor straps will be drawn tight and tied back on themselves when under-way.

However I have a few issues to attend to :-- 1) The license plate is obscured by the wheels and chainset,I have an additional one that can be fitted on a board.

2) The bike needs something to stop it swaying back and forth whilst the car is in motion.

3) The rear brake cable needs something (a felt pad) to prevent chaffing on the underside of the top-tube.

All things considered I am OK with the product and the rack will only actually be used when my car goes in for service and or repair/replacement of parts.
I might as well get some riding in as go to the shopping centre and walk around for the time that it takes for most of the service work to be carried out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4216.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	654763   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4217.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	654764  
__________________
Your brakes are only a part of your ability to stop - tyre choice and condition is vital.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheRoosterina330iTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
gen.e.ses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoosterina325Ci View Post
Hi again. As promised I have taken images of the Saris Bone 2 Cycle Rack fitted to the rear of my car.



The anchor straps will be drawn tight and tied back on themselves when under-way.



However I have a few issues to attend to :-- 1) The license plate is obscured by the wheels and chainset,I have an additional one that can be fitted on a board.



2) The bike needs something to stop it swaying back and forth whilst the car is in motion.



3) The rear brake cable needs something (a felt pad) to prevent chaffing on the underside of the top-tube.



All things considered I am OK with the product and the rack will only actually be used when my car goes in for service and or repair/replacement of parts.

I might as well get some riding in as go to the shopping centre and walk around for the time that it takes for most of the service work to be carried out.


I'm glad to hear that you found something for you that works!

-Cheers


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
gen.e.ses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
TheRoosterina330iTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bescar,Scarisbrick,Lancashire,England.
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 330i Touring
Year: 2001
Model: 330i Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.e.ses View Post
I'm glad to hear that you found something for you that works!

-Cheers


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Hi gen.e.ses Yes,after a right load of searching and a fair bit of misinformation to the effect that the Saris fitment did not include my 2002 (02) 325Ci Convertible I went to Evans Cycles and looked at a Saris Bone 3 that fitted but I was after a Bone 2.
I was on E'bay doing a search when an advert came-up for my local on-line cycle supplier showing a Bone 2. I went round to their On-line warehouse paid for one and came back and fitted it.

I intend to ring Saris at their Bristol,UK facility and inform them that their product actually does fit my car - with images if they require them.
__________________
Your brakes are only a part of your ability to stop - tyre choice and condition is vital.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheRoosterina330iTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
TheRoosterina330iTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bescar,Scarisbrick,Lancashire,England.
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 330i Touring
Year: 2001
Model: 330i Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Hi again all. Further to my post #3 and the images submitted.
I have since reappraised the posted images of the Saris Bones 2 rack and I have made a few small changes as the rack is only ever intended to carry one road going cycle - the cycle is now positioned at the inner mounting position and also enables better supplementary
security from movement.
I have also posted up-to-date images of the additional security to prevent the fore and aft movement of the cycle whilst in transit.

I have fabricated two felted pads covered in leather as protection from the cables that run beneath the top-tube and the Saris retention strap that will serve as the primary/upper restrain on the down-tube.
In both cases the felted pads will pass underneath the cables therefore the cables will be directly above the bonded leather covering and secured in place with strap restraints.
The lower restraint is by way of a QR strap around the OS lower leg and the crank-arm on the chainset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4220.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	654786   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4219.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	654787   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4221.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	654788   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4222.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	654789  

__________________
Your brakes are only a part of your ability to stop - tyre choice and condition is vital.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheRoosterina330iTouring; 05-11-2017 at 11:36 AM.
TheRoosterina330iTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
CabrioPassion
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 315
My Ride: 330Ci Cabrio 6 MT
Transmission: Manual 6 gears
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoosterina325Ci View Post
Hi again all. Further to my post #3 and the images submitted.
I have since reappraised the posted images of the Saris Bones 2 rack and I have made a few small changes as the rack is only ever intended to carry one road going cycle - the cycle is now positioned at the inner mounting position and also enables better supplementary
security from movement.
I have also posted up-to-date images of the additional security to prevent the fore and aft movement of the cycle whilst in transit.

I have fabricated two felted pads covered in leather as protection from the cables that run beneath the top-tube and the Saris retention strap that will serve as the primary/upper restrain on the down-tube.
In both cases the felted pads will pass underneath the cables therefore the cables will be directly above the bonded leather covering and secured in place with strap restraints.
The lower restraint is by way of a QR strap around the OS lower leg and the crank-arm on the chainset.
Hi, thank you about your very interesting topic. Do you suggest this item nowdays aswell? Are you glad regard its functions and any issues about used it for many times? Did it "mark" rear bumper with its two supports pressure, and/or ruined car paint with its straps fluttering? Thank you a lot
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CabrioPassion; 07-15-2018 at 05:25 PM.
CabrioPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
TheRoosterina330iTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bescar,Scarisbrick,Lancashire,England.
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 330i Touring
Year: 2001
Model: 330i Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Hi C P. The Saris Bones 2 two bike cycle rack was purchased in the the first few days of November 2017 and in truth I have not done any marathon runs with it on the back of the 325Ci Convertible.
The ability for it to retain the position that was set is all down to the tension in the straps and especially with the ones that come from the forward edge of the boot (trunk) lid and the movement of the large pads/feet is largely down to the tension at both sides with the diagonal straps and the two that hook beneath the lower edge of the boot lip.

The bonus with the Saris Bone 2 is that with a modicum of adjustment I should be able to use it on the tailgate of my 320i Touring. I have yet to try it over the top edge of the deflector and see whether there is a positive position for the hooks that retain the straps as is the case on the boot lid of the 325Ci Convertible.

In both cases the upper surface of the rear bumpers should be scrupulously clean before mounting the rack.
__________________
Your brakes are only a part of your ability to stop - tyre choice and condition is vital.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheRoosterina330iTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
CabrioPassion
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 315
My Ride: 330Ci Cabrio 6 MT
Transmission: Manual 6 gears
Hi T.R., thank you about your gently answer I would like to travel with my bike in August, so I'm searching a solution to bring it with my cabrio, and your one may be the best choice, however I'm a bit worried about its supports and straps both eventually damages. In addition, what speed shall it support in your opinion? Thank you again.

PS:

I found this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=En57pijBOts
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CabrioPassion; 07-16-2018 at 04:44 AM.
CabrioPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:55 AM   #10
TheRoosterina330iTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bescar,Scarisbrick,Lancashire,England.
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 330i Touring
Year: 2001
Model: 330i Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabrioPassion View Post
Hi T.R., thank you about your gently answer I would like to travel with my bike in August, so I'm searching a solution to bring it with my cabrio, and your one may be the best choice, however I'm a bit worried about its supports and straps both eventually damages. In addition, what speed shall it support in your opinion? Thank you again.

PS:

I found this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=En57pijBOts
Hi again C P. I suppose the real risk is some low-life actually cutting through the straps/ties and making off with your bike.
As the video indicates cleaning of the surfaces that the pads/feet actually come into contact with is essential.
As for a recommended travelling speed;well that really depends upon many things and not least of all whether the rack is secure and has not/is not moving abouit whilst on the move.
Road surface and tyre pressures will go a long way to making a smooth and trouble free experience.
I would suggest that a stop after a couple of miles in order to assertain whether there has been any movement and or the straps have slackened off.
I would be travelling at a maximum speed of 50mph until I know that all is safe and secure and if so then you will be the best judge of that as your journey progresses.
__________________
Your brakes are only a part of your ability to stop - tyre choice and condition is vital.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheRoosterina330iTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #11
CabrioPassion
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 315
My Ride: 330Ci Cabrio 6 MT
Transmission: Manual 6 gears
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoosterina325Ci View Post
Hi again C P. I suppose the real risk is some low-life actually cutting through the straps/ties and making off with your bike.
As the video indicates cleaning of the surfaces that the pads/feet actually come into contact with is essential.
As for a recommended travelling speed;well that really depends upon many things and not least of all whether the rack is secure and has not/is not moving abouit whilst on the move.
Road surface and tyre pressures will go a long way to making a smooth and trouble free experience.
I would suggest that a stop after a couple of miles in order to assertain whether there has been any movement and or the straps have slackened off.
I would be travelling at a maximum speed of 50mph until I know that all is safe and secure and if so then you will be the best judge of that as your journey progresses.
Thank you a lot about your advises T.R. How much did you pay it? Does your seller work online aswell (I'm located in Italy)? And do you think should be better get the version 2 or 3 of this item? Thank you again, and I'll may do many test on this item, getting my contrubute to your very accurate topic
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CabrioPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:45 AM   #12
TheRoosterina330iTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bescar,Scarisbrick,Lancashire,England.
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 330i Touring
Year: 2001
Model: 330i Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Hi again C P. I chose the Saris Bone 2 because it was the only one that suited my need and that was to fit a rack on the rear of my 325Ci Convertible Automatic.
The other products that were on offer were simply just not suitable albeit the rack will accommodate two bikes - something that will never be require so if it will take two bikes then it is more than safe for just one.
It is all down to how the bike is secured and any buffers that are used so as to prevent any excess movement/paint damage and the security of the 6 straps and the direction that they take in securing the bike.
Remember that the shortest distance from A to B is in a straight line and one must make sure that the hooks do not slide and therefore [produce slackness in the straps.
__________________
Your brakes are only a part of your ability to stop - tyre choice and condition is vital.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheRoosterina330iTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 AM   #13
CabrioPassion
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 315
My Ride: 330Ci Cabrio 6 MT
Transmission: Manual 6 gears
Hi T.R., and thank you again. When I wrote my last post to you I made a mistake, because I didn't realize that the only difference between versions "2" and "3" are about bikes number only, instead I was thinking about "3" may be a better improved version of the "2" one. So, I saw the Saris Bone has three version regarding bike numbers only, these are:

- "Solo" --> one bike
- "2" --> two bike
- "3" --> three bike

Because I've one bike only, and I'm thinking about Solo version may be more stable maybe ( because its little dimensions than versions 2 and 3 both), I would like to buy Solo one. In addition, my bike wheels are 26" (unusually dimensions, whereas others are 29", or rarely 27" at least), these just reduce oversize (I'm worry about speed with a bike sticked - I hope! - rear my car, because I need 130 km/h at least).

Do you concur with my theory about Solo version may be the most stable then other ones?

Thank you.

PS:

I found another interesting video:

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CabrioPassion; 07-20-2018 at 02:43 AM.
CabrioPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #14
TheRoosterina330iTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bescar,Scarisbrick,Lancashire,England.
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 330i Touring
Year: 2001
Model: 330i Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Hi again C P. The SARIS Bone SOLO will not fit on the boot/trunk of a BMW 325Ci. That is why I chose the BONE 2.

Why do you want to be travelling at 130 km?h (80mph) - just leave earlier,live longer and with less stress wondering whether the bike is going to arrive with you or be a heap of crumpled metal sitting on the freeway !!
__________________
Your brakes are only a part of your ability to stop - tyre choice and condition is vital.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheRoosterina330iTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #15
CabrioPassion
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 315
My Ride: 330Ci Cabrio 6 MT
Transmission: Manual 6 gears
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoosterina325Ci View Post
Hi again C P. The SARIS Bone SOLO will not fit on the boot/trunk of a BMW 325Ci. That is why I chose the BONE 2.

Why do you want to be travelling at 130 km?h (80mph) - just leave earlier,live longer and with less stress wondering whether the bike is going to arrive with you or be a heap of crumpled metal sitting on the freeway !!
Hi T.R., 130 km/h is Italy's highway speed limit. Furthermore, I think this item has a maximum speed limit advised in its document certification/approvation/or similar (I don't know the correct english name), however I completely agreed with you about its very useful put maximum concern about driving with it sticked on the side of our rides. About "solo" version, yes, it doesn't fit on ours E46 cabriolet unfortunately. Thank you as usually.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CabrioPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:17 AM   #16
JCDenton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: spain
Posts: 37
My Ride: 330i cab 03
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoosterina330iTouring View Post
Hi again C P. The SARIS Bone SOLO will not fit on the boot/trunk of a BMW 325Ci. That is why I chose the BONE 2.

Why do you want to be travelling at 130 km?h (80mph) - just leave earlier,live longer and with less stress wondering whether the bike is going to arrive with you or be a heap of crumpled metal sitting on the freeway !!
Thank you for the information and pictures shared. Do you know/think Bone 3 will fit the convertible?
JCDenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:58 AM   #17
TheRoosterina330iTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bescar,Scarisbrick,Lancashire,England.
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 330i Touring
Year: 2001
Model: 330i Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDenton View Post
Thank you for the information and pictures shared. Do you know/think Bone 3 will fit the convertible?
Hi JCD. The Bone 2 & Bone 3 fit the 325Ci Convertible that I had but I only need a single cycle carrying capacity but the single was not suitable hence the Bone 2.

The Bone 2 will now be used on my 2004 Mercedes Benz R170 SLK 230 Automatic as and when needed - it will also adjust and be usable on my 2001 E46 330i Touring Automatic.

Spain is a big place,where are you ?
__________________
Your brakes are only a part of your ability to stop - tyre choice and condition is vital.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheRoosterina330iTouring; 03-25-2020 at 07:03 AM. Reason: additional info
TheRoosterina330iTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.