how "rare" is my Wagon? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #21
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
1) I'm not sure why you're trying to post it in this thread, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the topic.

2) I can see it if I copy the link from quoting your post and open it in another tab. I must be getting screwed up by the image tags.

3) I host my photos on Imgur and they post fine with the image tags, although this site doesn't resize automatically so I have to add an "l" right before the ".jpg" so that it posts the medium size instead.
VpointVick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #22
Onizukachan

My Ride: F31d Msport
Year: 15
Model: F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by malapane View Post
Anyone have a US LCI RWD Touring with a VIN outside of EZ15005 to EZ15753?
PJ01002 - 04 M56 auto rwd titan, grey leather burned wood.
Mostly because I like puns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 03-09-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #23
thebfg

My Ride: 01 325i Touring 5spd
Year: 2001
Model: 325iT
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshUpNorth View Post
The 2001 manual Tourings all end in EN80***. The lowest vin I've found is EN80007. The highest has been EN80607.
Mine is 823. Do I win a prize for being the new highest VIN?
thebfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #24
terzinator

My Ride: 325iT 5-sp RWD Sport
Quote:
Anyone have a US LCI RWD Touring with a VIN outside of EZ15005 to EZ15753?
My 2002 is certainly within that range... (EZ15255)

Alpine White over black leather, RWD, 5-spd manual, manual seats (but heated), factory sport suspension... NO SUNROOF.

ZHP wheels and front bumper added after the fact.

Last edited by terzinator; Today at 11:56 PM. REASON: Fear.
terzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #25
malapane

My Ride: E46 M3, 325iT & F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
'03 RWD auto - PC12527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
PJ01002 - 04 M56 auto rwd titan, grey leather burned wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
My 2002 is certainly within that range... (EZ15255)

Alpine White over black leather, RWD, 5-spd manual, manual seats (but heated), factory sport suspension... NO SUNROOF.

So maybe EZ is the range for LCI RWD manual tourings? Anyone have a factory LCI RWD Manual outside of EZ15005 through EZ15753?

750 seems like an even lower number than I would have thought. Wonder how many of those are sport package.

Last edited by malapane; 04-28-2020 at 09:16 AM.
malapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #26
///Mark_D

My Ride: 04 325i & 02 325iT
Quote:
So maybe EZ is the range for LCI RWD manual tourings? Anyone have a factory LCI RWD Manual outside of EZ15005 through EZ15753?

750 seems like an even lower number than I would have thought. Wonder how many of those are sport package.
I'm pretty certain this is true. "EZ15XXX" is for RWD, manual trans tourings, 2002 model year and up.

I have painstakingly run each of these VIN's through the VIN decoder manually to get more info on each one. I will have a spreadsheet that I can post shortly that can be sorted by various other options.

Here's a sneak peek. They did skip a few numbers between model years as well, so it's a couple less than 750. The VIN range is for all of north america, including Canadian spec cars.

If someone knows the VIN prefix for manual XI wagons and manual prefacelift wagons I can do those too. There are probably way too many automatics to try and go through all of those.

Last edited by ///Mark_D; 04-28-2020 at 02:21 PM.
///Mark_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #27
ceaser187

Wow that's amazing! Thank you!
ceaser187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #28
malapane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mark_D View Post
I'm pretty certain this is true. "EZ15XXX" is for RWD, manual trans tourings, 2002 model year and up.

I have painstakingly run each of these VIN's through the VIN decoder manually to get more info on each one. I will have a spreadsheet that I can post shortly that can be sorted by various other options.

Here's a sneak peek. They did skip a few numbers between model years as well, so it's a couple less than 750. The VIN range is for all of north america, including Canadian spec cars.

If someone knows the VIN prefix for manual XI wagons and manual prefacelift wagons I can do those too. There are probably way too many automatics to try and go through all of those.
Mark, this is killer. Nice work.

Thank you so much for doing this.

I can't wait for you final list...
Old 04-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #29
SpeedAddict502

My Ride: Many
I will send you mine tonight!

Edit:

Mine is EZ15252

Manual, sunroof delete, black sport interior, memory seats but no heat

Last edited by SpeedAddict502; 04-28-2020 at 10:49 PM.
SpeedAddict502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #30
run4848

My Ride: 2001 325i wagon
Mine is en80033. An early 2001 that I ordered in the summer 2000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
run4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #31
///Mark_D

I'm still working on cleaning up the formatting on the excel sheet but I should have it posted here later today.

I've got the VIN range of EZ15000 through EZ15753 accounted for which are LCI (Model year 2002 thru 2005) manual transmission wagons. I've got all the basic data copied over for each car including VIN, production date, model year, exterior color, and interior upholstery.

There is still a lot of work to finish though on the individual option codes. This is the part that takes the most amount of effort to manually go through. When I started this spreadsheet I was most interested cars similar to my own so I've got all the option data filled in for cars that are Japan Red. There are 48 of those and I have probably another 50 or so cars filled in near my VIN EZ15310. To completely fill in the remaining option content will take more time to go through and manually enter the data.

From what I have I can post some basic statistics though like the percentages for each color and interior type. And I can also start to break down some of the other option mix from the 100 or so cars I have completely filled out.

Last edited by ///Mark_D; 04-29-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #32
malapane

Quote:
I'm still working on cleaning up the formatting on the excel sheet but I should have it posted here later today.

I've got the VIN range of EZ15000 through EZ15753 accounted for which are LCI (Model year 2002 thru 2005) manual transmission wagons. I've got all the basic data copied over for each car including VIN, production date, model year, exterior color, and interior upholstery.

There is still a lot of work to finish though on the individual option codes. This is the part that takes the most amount of effort to manually go through. When I started this spreadsheet I was most interested cars similar to my own so I've got all the option data filled in for cars that are Japan Red. There are 48 of those and I have probably another 50 or so cars filled in near my VIN EZ15310. To completely fill in the remaining option content will take more time to go through and manually enter the data.

From what I have I can post some basic statistics though like the percentages for each color and interior type. And I can also start to break down some of the other option mix from the 100 or so cars I have completely filled out.
Wow, that's dedication.

I think sport package would be the next most interesting piece of info. That looks like it is not determined from the interior upholstery data? I'd be happy to take a batch and fill in more data if you want to share with a google sheet or something.

Last edited by malapane; 04-29-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #33
///Mark_D

Quote:
Wow, that's dedication.

I think sport package would be the next most interesting piece of info. That looks like it is not determined from the interior upholstery data? I'd be happy to take a batch and fill in more data if you want to share with a google sheet or something.
Yeah separating out cars by sport package is probably what I'm most interested in next.

The upholstery option is not specific to sport or non-sport package, so the simplest way to check is to see if the car has the "sport suspension settings" option. I've seen a few cars with sport seats but no sport suspension, so there are some weird ones in there too. The Canadian spec cars were allowed to select stand alone options instead of being forced into a package of options like the US spec cars. Canada also typically got style 44 wheels w/ sport suspension instead of style 96 or 119 like the US cars.

That would be awesome if you're willing to help fill in data. I should be able to get it shared on google docs so its open for editing and group collaboration. There are a few VIN decoder websites, but the easiest / quickest that I've been using is this one, and only requires the last 7 of the VIN: https://www.mdecoder.com/

In the spreadsheet I have a column set up for each option code that I've seen so far and I just type an a "y" for each option that is listed for a particular car. I've also been entering in an "n" for all the remaining options the car does not have which makes it a little easier when sorting later on.

Any time I encounter a new option that I haven't seen before I just insert a new column into the spreadsheet, keeping the option numbers in order from smallest to largest in each section.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #34
malapane

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, that's dedication.

Yeah separating out cars by sport package is probably what I'm most interested in next.

The upholstery option is not specific to sport or non-sport package, so the simplest way to check is to see if the car has the "sport suspension settings" option. I've seen a few cars with sport seats but no sport suspension, so there are some weird ones in there too. The Canadian spec cars were allowed to select stand alone options instead of being forced into a package of options like the US spec cars. Canada also typically got style 44 wheels w/ sport suspension instead of style 96 or 119 like the US cars.

That would be awesome if you're willing to help fill in data. I should be able to get it shared on google docs so its open for editing and group collaboration. There are a few VIN decoder websites, but the easiest / quickest that I've been using is this one, and only requires the last 7 of the VIN: https://www.mdecoder.com/

In the spreadsheet I have a column set up for each option code that I've seen so far and I just type an a "y" for each option that is listed for a particular car. I've also been entering in an "n" for all the remaining options the car does not have which makes it a little easier when sorting later on.

Any time I encounter a new option that I haven't seen before I just insert a new column into the spreadsheet, keeping the option numbers in order from smallest to largest in each section.
PM me when it's up. Google Sheets would be very easy for me and I have used mdecoder before and I'll get started soon filling in slow time. With a few hands, this won't take too long...

Last edited by malapane; 04-29-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:44 PM   #35
///Mark_D

Quote:
PM me when it's up. Google Sheets would be very easy for me and I have used mdecoder before and I'll get started soon filling in slow time. With a few hands, this won't take too long...
I sent you a PM with a link to the spreadsheet on google sheets.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:50 PM   #36
tbouchard991

My Ride: -
Year: 2000
Model: 323iT
Transmission: ZF 5 Speed Auto
Quote:

Maybe this can help;

Here is my friends 2000 Manual 323iT VIN: WBAAR3347YJB35024; so im going to presume JB35XXX is for RWD/Manual prefacelift, then JM is automatics RWD.

Last edited by tbouchard991; 04-29-2020 at 10:54 PM.
tbouchard991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:33 AM   #37
mjweimer

My Ride: 2001 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbouchard991 View Post
Maybe this can help;

Here is my friends 2000 Manual 323iT VIN: WBAAR3347YJB35024; so im going to presume JB35XXX is for RWD/Manual prefacelift, then JM is automatics RWD.
I believe you are correct, all manual trans '00 323iT car I have looked at over the years have had JB35xxx vins.

'01 MY manual trans 325iT's should have vins that start with EN80xxx. I don't know the prefix for '01 auto trans cars.

///Mdecoder seems fairly reliable, however on my car it calls out aluminum interior trim incorrectly for some reason. I have the base schwarz trim which matches the window sticker.

Are you listing the presence of the on-board computer and auto climate control on your spreadsheet? These are extremely common options but the early tourings could be ordered without either (I don't have much experience with the later cars), making that a bit more of an odd spec.

My car for example has auto climate control but no on board computer.

This is a cool project Mark D, happy to help if needed.

MJ
mjweimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #38
///Mark_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post
I believe you are correct, all manual trans '00 323iT car I have looked at over the years have had JB35xxx vins.

'01 MY manual trans 325iT's should have vins that start with EN80xxx. I don't know the prefix for '01 auto trans cars.

///Mdecoder seems fairly reliable, however on my car it calls out aluminum interior trim incorrectly for some reason. I have the base schwarz trim which matches the window sticker.

Are you listing the presence of the on-board computer and auto climate control on your spreadsheet? These are extremely common options but the early tourings could be ordered without either (I don't have much experience with the later cars), making that a bit more of an odd spec.

My car for example has auto climate control but no on board computer.

This is a cool project Mark D, happy to help if needed.

MJ
Thank you so much for the additional VIN range breakdown. My plan is to create additional sections in the spreadsheet with these other VIN ranges so it would be possible to sort and combine these all together. I think it would be awesome to eventually be able to get a better picture of what actual production numbers are.

Just from what I've put together so far I've been able to determine my car is one of 48 facelift Japanrot RWD tourings with manual trans. From there if I narrow down the specs to Xenon lights, power/heated seats, etc. My car is basically one of three built to my exact same spec. It's a lot of work to be able to narrow it down that far, but I think it would be awesome for other people to be able to do the same over a wide range of colors and options.

To answer your question about the common options like auto climate control and on board computer, yes, those options are all included. My process was basically to start with a column for each option on my car, and as I expanded to checking additional VIN's more and more columns were added each time I encountered a new option. I'd enter a "y" for that one car, and then go back through all the other cars I've already checked and entered a "n" for that never before seen option.

There are some really amazing cars in there, like 2 Imola Red MtechII cars w/ aerodynamics package and gloss shadowline trim that went to Canada. Cars like that kind of blew up the number of columns I had to create in the spreadsheet, but it just take a few extra seconds to fill those cells with an "n" when filling out the other more base-spec cars.

EDIT:

I exported the current file from google sheets and have it hosted here on google drive for anyone who wants to see it as it currently stands.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Jy...w?usp=drivesdk

The version on google sheets is the live master copy that I can share the link via PM to for anyone who actually wants to help contribute by running VINs and adding option info.

Last edited by ///Mark_D; 04-30-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #39
UncleDon

My Ride: '05 325iT '99 528i
Transmission: 5MT 325iT
Quote:
I exported the current file from google sheets and have it hosted here on google drive for anyone who wants to see it as it currently stands.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Jy...w?usp=drivesdk

The version on google sheets is the live master copy that I can share the link via PM to for anyone who actually wants to help contribute by running VINs and adding option info.
Some of the VIN Numbers are greyed out and show "No VIN Record Found"... What does that mean?

UncleDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #40
///Mark_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDon View Post
Some of the VIN Numbers are greyed out and show "No VIN Record Found"... What does that mean?
It means no car was ever built under that VIN. It looks like they typically skipped two or three VINs between the start and end of model years.

Model year start is typically September 1st of the previous year.

IE: the first MY2002 cars are built 9/1/2001, or very close to it. In some cases the switch happens a few days prior at the end of august.

I'm doing more VIN checking in other ranges (EN, ET, PC, PJ, etc) and this seems to hold true there as well.

Last edited by ///Mark_D; 04-30-2020 at 03:00 PM.