Perhaps the most convoluted "new member" thread ever. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 03:33 AM   #1
IdahoDoug

My Ride: Quattro 20V
Perhaps the most convoluted "new member" thread ever.

So, I'm a former vehicle developer, and car nut to a degree that is likely unhealthy. Probably a few here in that category. I've always loved the E46 and couldn't believe my luck when in September of 2018 I found one right here in my neighborhood.

Happened to be out for a walk with my wife, and met the gentleman who drives it. He expressed an interest in selling and a couple days later I knocked on his door to arrange it. He rolled up the garage door and my heart beat a little faster as it turns out to be an iX. We live in a northern climate. He's super picky about it and mentions it burns oil, which bums me out but I appreciate the honesty.

His wife passed away a year ago and this was her car.

I peek inside and am really happy it has the Sport seats, which for my looong road trip tendancies (5700 miles in 7 days anyone?) are a find. What's this? It's a 5 speed manual? I'm in love. It's a rare fully loaded iX model with the manual tranny- even upgraded to the 330i wheels that look like turbine fans. Light blue metallic over black leather, 140K miles with some parking lot scuffles on both bumpers and some door nicks.

I take it home and look at the oil usage components you guys and gals say break and leak on the crankcase ventilation system and such and sure enough that it the issue here. I'll get to it after I own it.

So we make a deal at $2700 for whenever he decides to go buy a new car - a couple months or so. I research forums and join E46Fanatics and start learning about the car. Later, I buy a factory service manual. Months go by and he's not told me to come get the car. I invent things like lending him books and we become friends.

I rack up 199 posts here on a car I don't yet own. After a long period during which I am busy, I stop by to say hello and ask about the car, He tells me he drove to the dealership to buy a car, they inspected his car and said it has a blown head gasket. Not wanting to sell me a car with a blown HG he let it go to them for $700 as a trade in. I stared at him for much too long but changed the subject and moved on. Oh well, right?

Fast forward to a month ago. I'm waiting to turn up the hill into my neighborhood and here's a nice silver E46. On a whim I decide to follow it home. Yes, he'd sell it, because it was his wife's car and she passed away a couple years ago. Bizarre. Two similar circumstances, same car, same year. I like this one better. I can live without the manual as I have 3 other manuals and its nice to drive an auto with a cell phone and a cup of coffee in hand. Also the paint is that very bright silver over black leather. But this one may actually have "everything" on it as the owner says that's the way he ordered it. I'm hoping the Bi-Xenon headliamps and the Harmon Kardon audio are in it, and it may have the optional rear seat airbags.

The major bonus is it only has 61K on the clock and its been garaged since new. SO i it is a true time capsule.

I will keep you update when I finally officially own an E46. It is winter here and the Outback is getting around well. The Quattro 20V is also. So I would like to see how this system performes. I;m guessing it will be about 2 weeks and I'll post pictures of this one - a pretty girl methinks....

So, wish me luck, joining with such a stellar example of the marque. It would make me proud to bring in such a well preserved example to the forum.

IdahoDoug
Current fleet: 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan bought w/ 61K.
IdahoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
RangerDave

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 257k
Year: 2000
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5MT
Hi Doug,

What a roller coaster of a story! I really feel for you working to get that first car for so long then having it slip away so quickly. I wonder if the dealer was being honest about the head gasket? That seems pretty strange, but what can you do? The car you are looking at now sounds pretty good! I'm not sure if the HK sound system is going to be all you hoped for at this point, as I've heard mixed reviews as they age. Anyway, I just wanted to comment because I can feel your excitement and I am excited for you! Good luck with getting the car, and keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RangerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
docnabimmer

My Ride: 2004 325XIT
Year: 2004
Model: 325XIT
Transmission: standard
Awesome story Doug and good luck with the E46.Quite a mix you have in your herd- Subi, a car with 4 or is it 5 rings- and the 3rd one?...let me guess a merc?
docnabimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
MoparJim

My Ride: BMW
Model: 330Ci convertible
Transmission: Auto
I suspect the dealer did not spend enough time on diagnosis to say that it had a blown head gasket. They probably told him that to get his trade in value as low as they could get it...
MoparJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #5
apseagle

My Ride: 02 325xi 5 speed
Idahodoug, what part of Idaho are you in? I live in Boise and have a spotless 2002 325Xi manual with all the options. It is not for sale, but we can get together and swap paint.
apseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoDoug View Post
So, I'm a former vehicle developer, and car nut to a degree that is likely unhealthy. Probably a few here in that category. I've always loved the E46 and couldn't believe my luck when in September of 2018 I found one right here in my neighborhood.

Happened to be out for a walk with my wife, and met the gentleman who drives it. He expressed an interest in selling and a couple days later I knocked on his door to arrange it. He rolled up the garage door and my heart beat a little faster as it turns out to be an iX. We live in a northern climate. He's super picky about it and mentions it burns oil, which bums me out but I appreciate the honesty.

His wife passed away a year ago and this was her car.

I peek inside and am really happy it has the Sport seats, which for my looong road trip tendancies (5700 miles in 7 days anyone?) are a find. What's this? It's a 5 speed manual? I'm in love. It's a rare fully loaded iX model with the manual tranny- even upgraded to the 330i wheels that look like turbine fans. Light blue metallic over black leather, 140K miles with some parking lot scuffles on both bumpers and some door nicks.

I take it home and look at the oil usage components you guys and gals say break and leak on the crankcase ventilation system and such and sure enough that it the issue here. I'll get to it after I own it.

So we make a deal at $2700 for whenever he decides to go buy a new car - a couple months or so. I research forums and join E46Fanatics and start learning about the car. Later, I buy a factory service manual. Months go by and he's not told me to come get the car. I invent things like lending him books and we become friends.

I rack up 199 posts here on a car I don't yet own. After a long period during which I am busy, I stop by to say hello and ask about the car, He tells me he drove to the dealership to buy a car, they inspected his car and said it has a blown head gasket. Not wanting to sell me a car with a blown HG he let it go to them for $700 as a trade in. I stared at him for much too long but changed the subject and moved on. Oh well, right?

Fast forward to a month ago. I'm waiting to turn up the hill into my neighborhood and here's a nice silver E46. On a whim I decide to follow it home. Yes, he'd sell it, because it was his wife's car and she passed away a couple years ago. Bizarre. Two similar circumstances, same car, same year. I like this one better. I can live without the manual as I have 3 other manuals and its nice to drive an auto with a cell phone and a cup of coffee in hand. Also the paint is that very bright silver over black leather. But this one may actually have "everything" on it as the owner says that's the way he ordered it. I'm hoping the Bi-Xenon headliamps and the Harmon Kardon audio are in it, and it may have the optional rear seat airbags.

The major bonus is it only has 61K on the clock and its been garaged since new. SO i it is a true time capsule.

I will keep you update when I finally officially own an E46. It is winter here and the Outback is getting around well. The Quattro 20V is also. So I would like to see how this system performes. I;m guessing it will be about 2 weeks and I'll post pictures of this one - a pretty girl methinks....

So, wish me luck, joining with such a stellar example of the marque. It would make me proud to bring in such a well preserved example to the forum.

IdahoDoug
Super happy for you and super jealous. Iíve been on the lookout for a clean E46 myself, hoping to relive the love affair with the platform.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
Think the dealership lied about the head gasket to low ball the trade in?
I bet they did.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #8
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
The xi would have been better in the snow but also more expensive to maintain. I think the 330 wheels you mentioned were probably style 73s that came on a lot of xi's. Invest in a good set of snow tires and you'll still get around just fine on the winter.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
IdahoDoug

Well thanks for the kind comments. We live in the Coeur d'Alene area, so the Xi is the way to go to enjoy the car year round. I'm OK with the added maintenance on this model as well as I do all my own work on the entire fleet in my signature and they're all drivers except the Supra. It's engine block is stripped and ready to be honed and reassembled. Very much looking forward to this, especially as nice a bunch of folks as I've interacted with here so far. Great to find a forum where the tone is kind and helpful.

The seller is out of town for a week or two, so still on hold but looking good.
Current fleet: 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan bought w/ 61K.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:41 PM   #10
IdahoDoug

Well, the day has finally come. I woke up this morning with no E46 and an appointment to meet the seller at the bank to sign the title over. And tonight, an absolutely stunning silver over black E46 sits in my driveway. The best part? I had not even really looked at it back then, and yesterday I saw and drove it for the first time and it is FAR better than I had any right to expect. Original owner who ordered it and checked every single box and it was his wife's car (just like the manual version I missed out on) so very gently owned and only 61k miles. Sport seats, winter package, Bi-Xenons, Harmon Kardon, upgrade style 73 wheels, glass moonroof.

To give you a flavor how utterly well cared for, there is this. Last evening when I called to say as planned I would be over to look at it (we'd already struck the deal and it was mine) I called to say "be there in 10 minutes". His reply: "perfect, I'm in the garage and almost done waxing it for you and saying goodbye." A dream owner.

He's also done all the major work in the last 1500 miles. New Bosch alternator. New BMW rotors and pads all around. Every single CV boot replaced (9?). New tires. Radiator flush. Brake flush. New Battery. I'm embarrassed at the flat out rich blessing of his lavished attention. Always had all work done at the BMW dealer, save the alternator which was at my buddy's very good european shop here in town.

So. I'm honored. I'm humbled. And I finally have an E46 to engage the forum with after all my questions and such. Within 45 minutes I put a new engine air filter in it, and bought a WIX filter cartridge, and cabin air filter to figure out how to install later. Other than that, there is literally nothing else to do on it. I'll be asking the Boise BMW dealership if I can get the full records printout, but he thinks it even had a transmission fluid change. He even has the original Introduction CD with the VHS as well, and all owner's manuals.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:47 PM   #11
RangerDave

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 257k
Year: 2000
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5MT
Congratulations! Sounds like you really did find the perfect car. I'm happy to hear it all worked out in the end, but wow - what a journey!
Glad the car is going to another person who will love it. Enjoy!

RangerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:17 AM   #12
IdahoDoug

Thanks, Dave - well said. So I also ran it across the scale and it weighs 3580lbs with a half tank of fuel and without me in it. In driving it for the first time for an hour of errands, I was struck at how solid it felt, including the bank vault sound of the doors closing. There's a lot of German steel and soundproofing in it! He also had the passenger front airbag replaced under warranty a couple months ago and was not sure about the steering wheel bag.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:21 AM   #13
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoDoug View Post
Thanks, Dave - well said. So I also ran it across the scale and it weighs 3580lbs with a half tank of fuel and without me in it. In driving it for the first time for an hour of errands, I was struck at how solid it felt, including the bank vault sound of the doors closing. There's a lot of German steel and soundproofing in it! He also had the passenger front airbag replaced under warranty a couple months ago and was not sure about the steering wheel bag.
Make sure to post up some pics!

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:27 AM   #14
doukas007

My Ride: e46 320 coupe
Year: 2001
Model: 320ci
Transmission: manual
welcome abroad and post some pics

doukas007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:51 AM   #15
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
Let us know when you camber stance it with new purple 22" rims and coilovers and giant rear wing and fart can muffler.
Just kidding. How much did you pay for the cream puff auto 325?

Last edited by OnTheFence; 03-13-2020 at 05:53 AM.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #16
IceWhite

My Ride: 2004 330i
Wow, It's about time. Congratulations!!!

I guess patience worked out for you in the end!
IceWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #17
rascher

My Ride: 330xi
Model: 330xi
IdahoDoug, congratulations on the new stablemate! Iím down in Ketchum working on bringing my old silver 330xi back to the condition it sounds like your new ride is already in. When youíre ready, revive this thread with a few pictures: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showth...326787&page=16 Iíll be posting there soon!
rascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #18
IdahoDoug

This morning a buddy came over to see the Bimmer and I told him I wanted to go on a little "get acquainted" run for the car around Hayden Lake if he was interested in riding along. I'm a trained vehicle developer and he knows that, so he trusts me. Wow, the suspension on this thing is really dialed, lads. There are a few places where I could see 3 curves in a row, and I have been around this lake more than 300 times as it is also our bicycle route. The E46 doesn't seem to care whether it is at 6/10s or 9/10s. I was struck by the almost complete absence of mid corner steering corrections, these remarkable seats, and the chassis damping control. Oddly, the rear suspension gave a gentle heave when I didn't think it should have a few times. More on that.

But the star of this show? The steering. Oh man, the hydraulic pump assisted rack and pinion goodness is on full display here and BMW has struggled to come back to this level of driver-centric steering with their electric stuff. I'd forgotten just how knife edge evolved BMW steering was back in the day when this machine was screwed together. We've had several new cars in the last decade and they all have insulting electric based steering. This car is a lesson for all those wet behind the ears product developers and any of them who work on automotive steering systems today should be required to drive an e46 for a couple hours.

This is the beginning of something serious.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #19
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 2000 528iT
What model car did you get?
Old 03-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #20
IdahoDoug

It's a 2002 silver sedan with black leather and the 73 wheels. Premium Package, BiXenons, Sport Package, Harmon Kardon, black leather, glass moonroof. I think it has every option except navigation, which I'm happy about because that's obsolete.

So the adventure continues. A winter storm hit last evening and a buddy was arriving at 8pm. His wife called and asked if I'd go get him as it's an hour drive. It arrived with a vengeance. Should I take the LandCruiser with locking diffs and 100 miles on new BFGs? The Quattro? The Subaru with new Michelin X ice tires? All cars I know intimately and have driven a collective 350,000 miles. Nah, why don't I take the E46 which I've only got about 27 miles on and am completely unfamiliar with and which has brand new all seasons (a world away from winter tires, if you've not experienced the difference). Our 19yo son asked to come - heck yeah.

Leaving our neighborhood it was incredibly icy and the new Coopers totally sucked. They're more of a performance all season and we could tell. On the way, the storm was in full swing with a vengeance on the I90 into Washington to Spokane. The storm delayed his flight to 930. The winter storm was paired with a wind warning and the interstate was a maelstrom of whirling snow and the Xenons were great. Except after about 15 minutes I flashed a car in the fast lane to get him to move over and my first experience with the high beams was that they are totally wimpy. A way further and we were in a clot of cars stuck behind a pair of plows. The wind did not move the car around and it was ferocious.

Picked up my buddy and headed for home. Back in Idaho the streets deteriorated. For fun, I asked my son to figure out how to turn off the stability control and explained to both of them that unlike our other 4WD vehicles, this is set up for spirited experienced drivers with a 60/40 split rear bias. Sure enough, we got the system off and leaving a stop sign it fishtailed easily. Fun. Then we were about a mile from his house going 35 and I gave it some throttle to gauge various aspects of things and holy crap. The back end snapped out to near 45 degrees in an instant. Luckily, I dialed in very close to the right amount of counter steer and caught it. But what's this? We're still heading into the empty oncoming lane. The tires simply would not hook up and at heavy countersteer and still 30mph we majestically slid toward the ditch. I simply held the steering angle until I could feel it hooking up ever so slightly, then more (dial out steering), then more and then we were headed back to our lane. I was pleased with my ancient reactions still being there but holy crap. Honestly that was a matter of slim margins as the bimmer was close to swapping ends. It was pure ice under a skiff of snow.

Dropped my buddy off, and drove home with the traction on respectfully. I'll have to play with that a bit as it was startling. Due to the tires and the rear bias this is an altogether different beast. So, on the first day of ownership, no sheetmetal bent....

Tags
qu