2004 325ci Error Codes - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #1
Ripperoni

2004 325ci Error Codes

Hey guys, trying to get my car back to what it used to be, but have some error codes I need help with. First, the problems with my car seems to be misfiring on at least one cylinder. When I have the air flow sensor plugged in, my RPMs drop to around ~500 and below and it'll feel like it's about to shut off, then it'll spike up to 1200~. I've replaced all of my spark plugs, and the car runs better with the sensor not plugged in, but I haven't messed around too much with that. It was raped since the clip was broken by the previous owned, but unsure if it's defective. I've also had my power steering pump go out recently but I doubt it had anything to do with it. That's pretty much all that has been wrong with it as of late, but here's the error codes with description.

Error Codes:

P0174: System Too Lean Bank 2
P0171: System Too Lean Bank 1
P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0313: Misfire Detected With Low Fuel
P0113: Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 High
P0102: Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Low
Repeats.

For some reason my codes are listed twice, not sure if it's my scanner or intentional.

Any and all help is welcome, just want to get back on the road. Riding a bicycle to work is fun and all, but it's starting to get hot.
Ripperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
Hot_tub

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Transmission: 5 Speed
Did you remove and inspect your intake boots for small tears?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hot_tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
Ripperoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_tub View Post
Did you remove and inspect your intake boots for small tears?
I have not, will do that first thing in the morning, anything else I should look out for ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Lean codes are usually vacuum leaks. See post #1 in this smoke test thread for how to find them.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1261077

The trouble codes are helpful, but also get the MAF value in grams/second and the long term fuel trims from banks 1 and 2 at hot idle and post those here. If your scan tool doesn't provide that live data, drop it in a dumpster and get set up with OBD Fusion. See post #1 in this thread for details.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1240733

Verify that your MAF sensor is either genuine BMW or Siemens or VDO brand. Aftermarket MAF sensors are garbage.

How many miles on the car?

How old is the fuel pump?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #5
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
Car runs better with the MAF unplugged points to a dead MAF (as do the codes). I'd start with the cylinder 5 issue first. Move the coil to another cylinder and see if the code follows the coil. If it does, replace the coil. Then I'd go after the other codes once you are running on all cylinders again.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:19 AM   #6
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Car runs better with the MAF unplugged points to a dead MAF
Not usually. Unplugging the MAF causes the DME to revert to a default fuel management map that is rich which masks vacuum leaks.

Its pretty difficult to pinpoint the MAF as a problem. Hot idle MAF value should be around 3.4-4.2 grams/second.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:51 AM   #7
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Car runs better with the MAF unplugged points to a dead MAF (as do the codes). I'd start with the cylinder 5 issue first. Move the coil to another cylinder and see if the code follows the coil. If it does, replace the coil. Then I'd go after the other codes once you are running on all cylinders again.
This really isn't true. The OP probably has several problems, and unplugging the MAF just goes to a default mix, which then ignores sensors.

1. How many miles on the car?
2. Fix the maf connector. It is not hard - go to a pick and pull and cut off the connector from the harness. Watch a few videos and learn how to pick the pins out and repin the connector.
3. The MAF is likely gone, as are the O2 sensors. This is an age/mileage issue. O2 sensors last 100k (125 for wideband), MAF lasts 150-175k. When they fail you get lean codes.
4. The intake boots are a great place to start looking for leaks, but you likely have more. Pull the DISA and make sure it is resists being pulled out. A smoke test will help locate the leaks, but smart to replace the vacuum line from the sSAP valve to the solenoid at the back of the intake manifold. Can also be the valve cover, CCV, dipstick o-ring, intake air temp sensor, and F-valve and associated hoses from the intake.
5. Also make sure the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator are functioning properly - with a gauge on the fuel rail shrader attachment turn on the ignition (don't start the car). Should hit 50PSI. Then turn off the car - should hold that for 20-30 minutes. Fuel pumps fail between 100 and 200k (I know, huge range!), and regulator (in the fuel filter) should be replaced every 60k

Don't buy parts on eBay or Amazon for emissions control. Please.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:37 AM   #8
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
The only way to determine if the MAF is bad is to check its output as reported by the DME. As for the connector, the female sockets tends to widen up over time. Use a toothpick to gently tighten the female sockets.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Not usually. Unplugging the MAF causes the DME to revert to a default fuel management map that is rich which masks vacuum leaks.

Its pretty difficult to pinpoint the MAF as a problem. Hot idle MAF value should be around 3.4-4.2 grams/second.
Considering he has 2 MAF related codes, its a safe bet.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:22 PM   #10
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Lean codes are usually vacuum leaks. See post #1 in this smoke test thread for how to find them.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1261077
+1 on the smoke test. Vacuum leaks are known to cause all kinds of fun.

Fortunately, however, they are very easy to ID with the right tool/tactic.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #11
Ripperoni

Just wanted to give an update: finally took a look at my car while replacing the power steering pump, I inspected the vacuum hoses, and my entire boot is slit open, so I'm going to order the boot, anyone have a link to someplace I can get it ASAP? Hopefully fixing that fixes most of the error codes, but I'll keep you guys updated.

The car is sitting at 115k miles right now also for reference.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #12
Ripperoni

Update: it didn't fix my problem, replaced the boot, but the loud hissing was still there. Sounded like it was right beneath the dsci? That little box that connects to the engine. Posting the link to the video with the hissing. Also had another line that was disconnected? It's shown in the picture below.

Video:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3FBD159D-A4BF-4471-8331-8214EA018974_1583953138859.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	795675  
Old 03-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #13
Ripperoni

Should I just do the smoke test? Haven't done it since I thought the problem would be fixed.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #14
tcphoto

My Ride: E92 335 MT Coupe
Are you sure the boot is fully seated on the throttle body and ICV and tightened? I would doublecheck and then replace vacuum hoses including those on the SAP.

tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #15
Ripperoni

Fairly certain, I'll go ahead and reinstall it again just to make sure. Can you give me a link to a vacuum line kit? Also, what is the line that's disconnected .-.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #16
Ripperoni

Yeah it's not the boot, reinstalled and the sound is still there, just gonna do the smoke test and report back
Old 03-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #17
Ripperoni

Did the smoke test and it puffed that whole cigar, but I didn't see smoke coming from anywhere ((
Old 03-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #18
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
So since you have fixed the tear in the intake boot what are the symptoms and codes now?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #19
Ripperoni

Same as before, nothing changed, still have all the same codes as above (

Sound coming from where this guy has smoke pouring out
Old 03-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #20
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
I assume you cleared the old codes?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote