MAF "Crosshair" Screen - Repair, Replace or Ignore? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
MAF "Crosshair" Screen - Repair, Replace or Ignore?

This flimsy piece on my original MAF broke:

Safe to repair with epoxy or better not chance it and replace the MAF?

Would be great if there's a replacement piece out there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
LL i am

My Ride: 2001 325ci
if you're talking about the gun sight, I would think with or with-out it would not make any substantial effect. just make sure the remainder would not break off and make further damage
LL i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
66intheSky
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2000
Model: 328i ZSP
Transmission: Manual
I found mine cracked too about a decade ago. Removed the plastic and left it alone until I replaced the MAF about 3-4 yrs ago for piece of mind (they were on sale, Siemens VDO from FCP IIRC.) Never had an issue with it, and still have it in the parts stash for backup.
66intheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Repair with epoxy or leave alone, IMHO.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
JonL

My Ride: 2004 325Xi
Year: 2004
Model: 325Xi
Transmission: Auto
Many plastics don't take adhesives well, even epoxies, and even "plastic weld" epoxies. I'd do a test for adhesion somewhere on the outside first. If you can't get a really strong bond, I'd leave it alone.
JonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
It's after the air filter. I think the shield is to keep your fingers out of it.

They say to treat the MAF like eggs because of the thin wire inside. I'd leave it alone and not worry.

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote