Best petrol for a 316i? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #21
GothamBmw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
Some good answers here. As a generality most of Europe has superior gasoline to that of any sold in N. America. Running your car on 93, 95 or 98 shouldn't matter as the engine has one or two knock sensors (microphones attached to the engine to listen for the advent of knocking) that are used by the engine management computer (DME) and will adjust the fuel delivery and ignition timing accordingly to prevent knock.

When my wife daily drove an E46 330i, we would fill the tank with Top Tier regular. On trips where I wanted the extra performance, I would fill with a higher grade, as it would deliver a couple more HP.

In your case the additive package in the fuel is an important of a decision as the RON rating, as you'll want to keep the intake valves & combustion chamber clean. You'll need to do some research as to what fuels are in your area and offer the best cleaning.

Now she drives a F10 535 with a N55 engine. LSPI is of great concern with turbo motors. Now we use premium and top tier to help negate any LSPI (not a concern for M54 or the like engines) along with engine oils that help combat LSPI.
Ok thanks. The only ones that i know of with additive premium gasoline is Shell V-Power 98 and Total Excellium 98. I should one of those two 98 ones?
GothamBmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #22
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 F10 RT
Either should be fine. You need to hook up with some of the EU based owners and have them share their experiences.
Yes your fuel is more expensive but I'd gladly pay more for it, if it was available here.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #23
MrMCar

I forgot to mention most of the concern for why ATF is an excellent cleaning agent.

Again back to the high detergent package in the oil. Back in the day BMW had likely one of the worst transmissions across the range. The ZF 4HP 22/24/EH.
The transmissions had many flaws internally; from bad stator seals. F clutch drums that had hard steel snap rings riding on aluminum drums, A clutches that wouldn't drain and would melt the clutches/steels if revved in neutral etc.

So performing due diligence one drops the pan, changes the filter/fluid and the detergents went to work, cleaning up all of the debris in/around the aforementioned areas. The trans would stop working within a week or less.

This is EXACTLY where all of the theories of "Do not change the automatic transmission fluid on BMW's" came about. It still persists to this day.

We've had VG luck with the day before regimen. If it's worked for you, go for it.

BTW, the newer ZF 6 & 8 speed transmissions are proving to be very robust. Only the 6 speed has issues with valve body to trans seals hardening. Change them with normal service (ZF recommends 100Km) and all is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #24
MrMCar

Sorry, replied to the WRONG thread.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #25
GothamBmw1

I sended a email to a local BMW shop, see what they recommend. 95 or 98
Old 02-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #26
GothamBmw1

BMW answered me and said to put Total Excellium 98

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant E46Fanatics
Old 02-19-2020, 05:07 AM   #27
GothamBmw1

I sended back because he was only mentioning Total and wanted to know if i can put Shell V-Power aswell he said that i can put Total/Shell/... but has to be 98.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant E46Fanatics