Open Carry In Starbucks is Welcome - Thoughts? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Why would you need to carry a firearm into a dining establishment? Expecting trouble?

Even in the wild west there were town ordinances where firearms were left with the sheriff so nobody would be lawfully (yet accidentally ) harmed.

Public places are not the environment for causal guns. It doesn't make you or anyone else safer. Just sayin...
It can happen anywhere. Restaurants are not a safe haven. Check into the Luby's Massacre which happened in 1991. The gunman killed 24 including himself and wounded 20 more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_massacre

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
They guy with a visible gun is the first to be neutralized. Bank robberies are an excellent example. It is no mystery there is an armed security guard... and who do you think the first person to be neutralized will be? That seems counterintuitive to JonJon's argument.

Again, simply because something is legal does not mean it is smart. CCW makes sense to me if you want to cite personal safety. Open Carry does nothing but bring more attention to yourself.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #23
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Lol.
Right crime never happens in resturants or public places.

You antis are so silly.

Your entire post is opinion not fact, and incorrect on top of that.
Just wondering... If you personally had a CCW you would still conceal in public though, right? You're arguing that people who don't have CCW should not be deterred from open-carry?
Schrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #24
stilurkingabout

My Ride: 2011 335i
Quote:
Why would you need to carry a firearm into a dining establishment? Expecting trouble?
Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Quote:
Even in the wild west there were town ordinances where firearms were left with the sheriff so nobody would be lawfully (yet accidentally ) harmed.
Lawfully harmed? I wonder if there are stats on how many lawful, unarmed people were harmed by unlawful armed brigands in those oh so safety conscious towns in the wild west....

Quote:
Public places are not the environment for causal guns. It doesn't make you or anyone else safer. Just sayin...
Do you mean "casual"? I don't think anyone who carries legally treats it casually. If you meant "causal", well that is indicative of how the anti gun crowd views firearms.
stilurkingabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #25
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
It can happen anywhere. Restaurants are not a safe haven. Check into the Luby's Massacre which happened in 1991. The gunman killed 24 including himself and wounded 20 more.
Very sad.
But seriously, guns don't prevent crime. It may have prevented this crime... or it may have made him more extreme in his attack to compensate for the possibility of being shot at.

I recall a shoot out with armored bank robbers in Hollywood some years ago. They knew they were possibly going to be under fire and came prepared for that kind of situation.

If anyone truly wants to commit a crime and makes plans accordingly, there is very little help an open-carrying individual will do. In fact, it may even provoke a situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #26
truemc

My Ride: 2000 323 CI
Quote:
Lol.
Right crime never happens in resturants or public places.

You antis are so silly.

Your entire post is opinion not fact, and incorrect on top of that.
How can his opinion be incorrect????
truemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #27
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilurkingabout View Post
Better to have and not need than need and not have.
If you are carrying money or are in charge of something that requires more than a basic line of self preservation, yes. I agree. But if you're just going for a cup of coffee or a stack of pancakes I can't envision how a sidearm would be of any help.

Quote:
Lawfully harmed? I wonder if there are stats on how many lawful, unarmed people were harmed by unlawful armed brigands in those oh so safety conscious towns in the wild west....
So a guy robbing a Starbucks would be bad... but a shootout at Starbucks would be better...? What about stats of completely innocent bystanders being harmed or killed by stray bullets? Add that to your stats.

Quote:
Do you mean "casual"? I don't think anyone who carries legally treats it casually. If you meant "causal", well that is indicative of how the anti gun crowd views firearms.
If you carry a gun around every day for a trip to get a coffee, a run to the convenience store, dry-cleaner, gas station... yea, I can see you start to take some safety precautions for granted.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #28
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Those open carry events were carried out in Cali - and by me - definitely believe most people wouldn't feel comfortable walking to a coffee shop with a bunch of gun lovin' dudes with exposed guns

it's not good business

In before ccw

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #29
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:

Really?

Yesterday in Orlando, a guy walked into a very nice grocery store and shot a cashier in the head. I have been in that store no less than 50 times.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,2509524.story

If that guy had decided to kill everyone in sight instead of one cashier, then maybe, just maybe, someone carrying a gun legally could have saved one if not many lives.

He did not rob the store, it was his ex and he expected to die that night.

No, I don't always expect trouble, but I always carry a gun and I feel just a tad more prepared than the average person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

17 Time National Champs Including: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017. We WILL Get Redemption In 2019!

Ranting about TVs, football, cameras, guns, diamonds, and HDMI since 2005.

16 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring (wife)
07 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD
68 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS
-------------------------------------------------------
07 Lexus GS350
00 BMW DINAN M5
01 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 03-03-2010 at 05:41 PM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #30
GreekLSBm3

My Ride: drops panties
Quote:
If you are carrying money or are in charge of something that requires more than a basic line of self preservation, yes. I agree. But if you're just going for a cup of coffee or a stack of pancakes I can't envision how a sidearm would be of any help.

So a guy robbing a Starbucks would be bad... but a shootout at Starbucks would be better...? What about stats of completely innocent bystanders being harmed or killed by stray bullets? Add that to your stats.

If you carry a gun around every day for a trip to get a coffee, a run to the convenience store, dry-cleaner, gas station... yea, I can see you start to take some safety precautions for granted.
So you go into starbucks with your daughter to get some coffee, gunman comes in demands money ends up taking your daughter hostage. He turns his back and you have an opportunity to shoot him and free your daughter. I see that as being a possible scenario where you having a gun at starbucks would be helpful no ? The bottom line is YOU NEVER KNOW what the fack can happen and when you will need a gun. I'm not a big fan of open carry but concealed is great.

GreekLSBm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #31
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci

Quote:
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #32
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
Really?

Yesterday in Orlando, a guy walked into a very nice grocery store and shot a cashier in the head. I have been in that store no less than 50 times.
Carrying a gun does not give the carrier ESP for danger. I seriously doubt this could not have been prevented even if you were there with your gun.

And what if you were there with your gun. How do you know that if you took a shot at the guy that you would have hit him at all, or if that bullet you fired went on to kill or hurt someone you didn't intend to shoot? Then what?

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #33
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekLSBm3 View Post
So you go into starbucks with your daughter to get some coffee, gunman comes in demands money ends up taking your daughter hostage. He turns his back and you have an opportunity to shoot him and free your daughter. I see that as being a possible scenario where you having a gun at starbucks would be helpful no ? The bottom line is YOU NEVER KNOW what the fack can happen and when you will need a gun. I'm not a big fan of open carry but concealed is great.
Why in the hell would I shoot in the direction of my daughter? This proposed scenario is as inane as you are insane.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #34
fordpwns

My Ride: GR STi
AMERICA fvck yeaaaaaaaah

-Dr. F. Pwns

"bro a real university is a little bit harder than community college. let me know if you get into haas, then you'll see"
fordpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #35
GreekLSBm3

My Ride: drops panties
Quote:
Why in the hell would I shoot in the direction of my daughter? This proposed scenario is as inane as you are insane.
because if you have a gun and you are 10 feet away from someone and they have there back turned, if you cant shoot someone you shouldnt be carrying a gun.

GreekLSBm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #36
98E36M3

My Ride: eurotags 4 toolbags
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Apparently Starbucks wants to keep its pro-gun customers. Good for them. I may swing by and grab a coffee tomorrow just to support.

~*~* Removed - Tim330i *~*~
98E36M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #37
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
If the sight of a firearm scares you are you afraid of cops and armored car employees?

If guns scare you or if you think seeing one increases the chance of a crime, you need to educate yourself

you've been brainwashed by the media, politicians and other antis

Last edited by JonJon; 03-03-2010 at 06:10 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #38
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekLSBm3 View Post
because if you have a gun and you are 10 feet away from someone and they have there back turned, if you cant shoot someone you shouldnt be carrying a gun.
Dude, your scenario is just a fantasy that looks borrowed from a bad CSI episode.

A guy robbing a... Starbucks of all places... (not planning on getting rich with this heist) grabs a hostage... that happens to be my daughter... and, WHAT LUCK I have a gun! This guy, after grabbing my daughter as a human shield, for reasons akin to that of knocking over a Starbucks, also decides to turn his back on the one person that would really give a **** as to who he grabbed. Yes, I can see how this would all be made better by my diligent preparedness of carrying a loaded weapon into my local coffee store. It all makes sense now.

And I know exactly what to do in this scenario.

Shoot the hostage. Right?

Glad I brought my gun to this little day dream.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #39
joeski3d

Quote:
If the sight of a firearm scares you are you afraid of cops and armored car employees?

If guns scare you or if you think seeing one increases the chance of a crime, you need to educate yourself
Who said anything like that?

I've been around guns since I was 5. One thing that is perfectly clear is that the more guns that are around a public place, the more likely bullets will be whizzing by in a public place. Makes sense really. Seeing as how guns launch bullets. Simple math.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #40
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Who said anything like that?

I've been around guns since I was 5. One thing that is perfectly clear is that the more guns that are around a public place, the more likely bullets will be whizzing by in a public place. Makes sense really. Seeing as how guns launch bullets. Simple math.
Perfect sense

it's simple math

more cars on the road and they just suddenly start smashing into each other

simple math

10 cops in a room.... Instant shootout
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote