***Official what are you doing today for your home thread*** - Page 7 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #121
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
Installed...need to get a good close-up one the under cabinet lights are in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418074836995.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	583157   Click image for larger version

Name:	1418074861942.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	583158  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #122
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Where are the cabinets from? They look great!

Last edited by SamDoe1; 12-09-2014 at 12:59 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #123
SLVR JDM

Ordered through a kitchen and bath store. They do a lot of custom ordering through various suppliers, but the line I ordered was "in stock" so it wasn't crazy expensive like the other options (still more than I wanted to spend). They are an off white / cream color with dark chocolate glaze, so the door/drawer pulls and the countertop really bring out the glaze and it pops. Still have to do the backsplash, undercabinet lights, and plumbing completed and the basement will be done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #124
SamDoe1

Nice. Care to share the brand? I'm probably going to be redoing my basement bar sometime soon too but I'd like to get my kitchen replaced first.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #125
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb151 View Post
Finished up the landscape lighting around our new patio. Monday morning was beautiful here, so I finally took some pics.
That looks awesome.

Fun tip: For our outdoor fireplace, I keep a 100,000 BTU weed burner handy to get a roaring fire going in about a minute.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #126
SLVR JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Nice. Care to share the brand? I'm probably going to be redoing my basement bar sometime soon too but I'd like to get my kitchen replaced first.
I checked my paperwork and invoices. It just says "Vail Cabinetry" which isn't too helpful.

Another brand we were considering was Showplace, but the cost was an extra $1000 and the only difference was the color of the glaze (lighter brown). The cabinets in the photo shown were about $3250 or so (14 linear ft on bottom; 10 linear ft on top).

Old 12-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #127
SamDoe1

^ That's actually not too bad. The cabinets we were looking at were $2200+install for 9 lin ft bottom and 5 lin ft top. I almost had a heart attack when I got the quote.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #128
SLVR JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ That's actually not too bad. The cabinets we were looking at were $2200+install for 9 lin ft bottom and 5 lin ft top. I almost had a heart attack when I got the quote.
I paid another $1500 for the install (cabinets including light rail/crown mould, tile floor which required cutting the carpet, all plumbing connections, under cabinet lighting). By the time it is all said and done it is costing me a lot more than I wanted, but it will be worth it in the end.

Cabinets are definitely pricey, even the more affordable lines (that aren't junk).

I have learned that I suck at estimating home improvement projects. Whatever I think it is, I should just double

Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #129
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I paid another $1500 for the install (cabinets including light rail/crown mould, tile floor which required cutting the carpet, all plumbing connections, under cabinet lighting). By the time it is all said and done it is costing me a lot more than I wanted, but it will be worth it in the end.

Cabinets are definitely pricey, even the more affordable lines (that aren't junk).

I have learned that I suck at estimating home improvement projects. Whatever I think it is, I should just double
This is the key to any home project. Price it out and then double it.

We are planning to do a kitchen remodel here soon so I need to re-layout my kitchen to make it a lot more functional. I'm sure I'll actually have a heart attack when I see the price quote for those cabinets.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #130
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Installed...need to get a good close-up one the under cabinet lights are in.
Looks awesome, and great job of having the foresight to do the little bit of tile there.

NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #131
Tb151

My Ride: 2008 Range Rover FF
Send a message via AIM to Tb151
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
That looks awesome.

Fun tip: For our outdoor fireplace, I keep a 100,000 BTU weed burner handy to get a roaring fire going in about a minute.
Hah, thats awesome!!! Show a pic of what it look slike, may have to grab one!

Tb151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #132
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: pisses off liberals
Today I get to drop a couple grand on a new furnace since mine $hit the bed on New Year's Day. It's a balmy 51 degrees in here right now........and lows will be in the single/negative digits starting tomorrow night.

5ynd1cat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #133
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
That looks awesome.

lol, I use a map gas torch to start mine. Way better than a match and some newspaper. I'm not a boyscout so IDGAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
Today I get to drop a couple grand on a new furnace since mine $hit the bed on New Year's Day. It's a balmy 51 degrees in here right now........and lows will be in the single/negative digits starting tomorrow night.
sucks man, I feel your pain with the cold though. The high here tomorrow is -2F.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #134
SLVR JDM

I spent portions of the last week carefully attempting to remove a stain. We had a NYE party at my place with some friends, all with kids between ages 0-6. A 2 year old (known for getting into everything) ended up drawing on my projector screen (and walls) with a furniture touch up marker (permanent). All adults and kids were terrified to tell me.

Luckily I got 90% of the stain out and re-mounted the screen so that the reverse side is used, so barely any noticeable stain unless you are 6" from it and really looking. I'm fortunate that it didn't bleed through much and that both sides of the material are identical.

My friends eventually told me after discussing what to do, but I was buzzed from drinking and didn't care too much, didn't even bother to check until the next day. I don't want to be the guy that freaks out about something like that, especially when it could have been any of the kids.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #135
Tb151

My Ride: 2008 Range Rover FF
Send a message via AIM to Tb151
Quote:
I spent portions of the last week carefully attempting to remove a stain. We had a NYE party at my place with some friends, all with kids between ages 0-6. A 2 year old (known for getting into everything) ended up drawing on my projector screen (and walls) with a furniture touch up marker (permanent). All adults and kids were terrified to tell me.

Luckily I got 90% of the stain out and re-mounted the screen so that the reverse side is used, so barely any noticeable stain unless you are 6" from it and really looking. I'm fortunate that it didn't bleed through much and that both sides of the material are identical.

My friends eventually told me after discussing what to do, but I was buzzed from drinking and didn't care too much, didn't even bother to check until the next day. I don't want to be the guy that freaks out about something like that, especially when it could have been any of the kids.
That absolutely blows.....I'm very much the same....I either have to totally ignore it or I'll get increasingly

Sounds like you too the higher ground this time around, so kudos to you sir!

Tb151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #136
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Chased down drafts coming into the house from a crawl space underneath the extension of my house and added some insulation to minimize it, it helped a great deal but I need to add some more to completely get rid of all of it.

Started tearing down some unfinished projects that the previous owner had in the basement, tore down some cardboard ceiling tiles, removed a door and some crappy insulation wrapping on the cement walls. I'm not sure what direction I want to go yet, just collecting ideas for now.

Miko_10 is offline   Reply With Quote