330ci M54 build - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
Davew
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,114
My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
330ci M54 build

I have copied below from my thread in the FI section of the forum:


List of mods:

Stage 3 ported Technik head, 1mm Ferea oversize valves, double valve springs, titanium retainers, etc.

248/256 schrick cams

Raceware head stud kit

New hydraulic cam followers

M3 chain tensioner

New cam sprockets, chains, guides, etc. Chain are iwis race grade chains.

ATI super balancer

ESS TS2+ (Non ESS MS43 tune and setup)

S54 headers, modded with 2.5 collectors, Y piece into single 3 inch, two un-baffled mufflers. All 304 stainless steel

Besian vanos seals

Reservoir for liquid intercooler

Samco radiator hoses

Samco intake boot

BMW performance brake rotors

Zionsville competition radiator kit

Zionsville billet thermostat housing

80 degree Celsius mechanical thermostat

EMP Stewart water pump

Custom 65mm supercharger pulley

Turner sways front and rear

Turner urethane engine and trans mounts

Bilstein ride control coil overs

Custom in bumper cold air intake (K&N 6x9 inch filter)

UUC Twin Disc Clutch and Flywheel Package

SSG to 6 Speed Manual gearbox conversion

2.93 to 3.15 diff ratio change

OS Giken LSD

Subframe reinforcement

Solid Subframe bushes

Modified diff carrier (twin mount at rear of diff)

Bosch 42lb injectors

Aeromotive 340lph fuel pump

Remote pcv valve and catch can

BBS RSGT wheels



Now that I know I can and have tuned the car, it is time to build the bottom end, and some other mods I will reveal as they progress


An order has been finalised, but with a 4-5 week delivery time for the following:

Arrow precision connecting rods

JE forged Pistons (8.5 compression ratio)

Main and rod bearings

MLS head gasket


The crank has been sent out for lightening, knife edging, and journal linish (journals on crank are immaculate now), and balanced.

The block is at my work, I am making a full main caps to block girdle, and side plates for the block. Once the girdle is fitted, the block will be bored and honed, and the main bearing journals line bored. Head and block deck will have a light cut to ensure flatness.

As long as delivery times quoted are accurate, should be swapping out the engine in 6 weeks time

I will then get the car running with close to the current setup to run in, but with a new aftermarket MAF, and then there should be some new toys to show and tell

Last edited by Davew; 09-28-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
cosmos328Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Queensland
Posts: 1,466
My Ride: 400+whp. 500.4ftlb
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post
I have copied below from my thread in the FI section of the forum:


List of mods:

Stage 3 ported Technik head, 1mm Ferea oversize valves, double valve springs, titanium retainers, etc.

248/256 schrick cams

Raceware head stud kit

New hydraulic cam followers

M3 chain tensioner

New cam sprockets, chains, guides, etc. Chain are iwis race grade chains.

ATI super balancer

ESS TS2+ (Non ESS MS43 tune and setup)

S54 headers, modded with 2.5 collectors, Y piece into single 3 inch, two un-baffled mufflers. All 304 stainless steel

Besian vanos seals

Reservoir for liquid intercooler

Samco radiator hoses

Samco intake boot

BMW performance brake rotors

Zionsville competition radiator kit

Zionsville billet thermostat housing

80 degree Celsius mechanical thermostat

EMP Stewart water pump

Custom 65mm supercharger pulley

Turner sways front and rear

Turner urethane engine and trans mounts

Bilstein ride control coil overs

Custom in bumper cold air intake (K&N 6x9 inch filter)

UUC Twin Disc Clutch and Flywheel Package

SSG to 6 Speed Manual gearbox conversion

2.93 to 3.15 diff ratio change

OS Giken LSD

Subframe reinforcement

Solid Subframe bushes

Modified diff carrier (twin mount at rear of diff)

Bosch 42lb injectors

Aeromotive 340lph fuel pump

Remote pcv valve and catch can



Now that I know I can and have tuned the car, it is time to build the bottom end, and some other mods I will reveal as they progress


An order has been finalised, but with a 4-5 week delivery time for the following:

Arrow precision connecting rods

JE forged Pistons (8.5 compression ratio)

Main and rod bearings

MLS head gasket


The crank has been sent out for lightening, knife edging, and journal linish (journals on crank are immaculate now), and balanced.

The block is at my work, I am making a full main caps to block girdle, and side plates for the block. Once the girdle is fitted, the block will be bored and honed, and the main bearing journals line bored. Head and block deck will have a light cut to ensure flatness.

As long as delivery times quoted are accurate, should be swapping out the engine in 6 weeks time

I will then get the car running with close to the current setup to run in, but with a new aftermarket MAF, and then there should be some new toys to show and tell
Sounds awesome.

Can't wait for the dyno.

Good luck and hope all your parts arrive on time.
__________________
M54B30, ESS TS2 Manifold, 4" Throttle Body, 108mm pulley - 4.25".
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
Davew
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,114
My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
Not concerned with the end power figure, I'm happy with the output now, but would like to strengthen and refine the engine. Staying with pump fuel, but will likely spray some water/meth to keep temps down and timing up
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
cosmos328Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Queensland
Posts: 1,466
My Ride: 400+whp. 500.4ftlb
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post
Not concerned with the end power figure, I'm happy with the output now, but would like to strengthen and refine the engine. Staying with pump fuel, but will likely spray some water/meth to keep temps down and timing up
Nice, what power output are you at now?

Sounds like it will be rock solid by the time it is completed.
__________________
M54B30, ESS TS2 Manifold, 4" Throttle Body, 108mm pulley - 4.25".
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Rajvosa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,639
My Ride: 1M
Great build!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rajvosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Davew
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,114
My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
Not entirely sure, last tuning session I had spark breakdown, dsc kept faulting, and I had no gear recognition (from ssg- manual conversion). I would say based on last best run, plus all issues are now sorted, it would have to be up between 270-280rwkw, 650rwnm, but this is just a vague guess. Maybe zha50 can add some independent comment, he is the only other person who has been in the car at its various stages. AFR's and ignition are in a good range at the moment, so I don't have a reason to spend time on the dyno before making changes.
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Davew
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,114
My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
Great build!
Thanks Rajvosa
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
david4134
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 127
My Ride: BMW e46 325ci sport
nice
david4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #9
KendrickC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,176
My Ride: '03 325i
Year: 2003
Model: 325i
Transmission: 6MT
Yay!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'03 325 6MT Estoril Blue

KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
Davew
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,114
My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
What the car looks like currently
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	613782  
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
cosmos328Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Queensland
Posts: 1,466
My Ride: 400+whp. 500.4ftlb
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post
Not entirely sure, last tuning session I had spark breakdown, dsc kept faulting, and I had no gear recognition (from ssg- manual conversion). I would say based on last best run, plus all issues are now sorted, it would have to be up between 270-280rwkw, 650rwnm, but this is just a vague guess. Maybe zha50 can add some independent comment, he is the only other person who has been in the car at its various stages. AFR's and ignition are in a good range at the moment, so I don't have a reason to spend time on the dyno before making changes.
Nice work.

All the best with the build.
__________________
M54B30, ESS TS2 Manifold, 4" Throttle Body, 108mm pulley - 4.25".
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #12
Davconelectric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,915
My Ride: 2 dog powered sled
Awesome Dave. Sounds like it's gonna be a full track engine
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Davconelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
Davew
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,114
My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
Awesome Dave. Sounds like it's gonna be a full track engine
Thanks Davcon, very similar set up to yours, just different rods, crank work (and girdle), and lower compression. Trying to get the engine to spin up quicker, to a higher rpm, and more boost
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
cosmos328Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Queensland
Posts: 1,466
My Ride: 400+whp. 500.4ftlb
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Hey Davew,

Will you increase the size of your injectors?
What is your injector duty cycle at peak power and WOT?

Cheers
__________________
M54B30, ESS TS2 Manifold, 4" Throttle Body, 108mm pulley - 4.25".
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #15
Davew
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,114
My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
Bigger injectors are part of the end plan, will have to get back to you on injector duty cycle at WOT, with the Walbro 240 they were virtually maxed out with the 65mm pulley, but the aeromotive 340 has given me a touch of head room, but not enough
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #16
cosmos328Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Queensland
Posts: 1,466
My Ride: 400+whp. 500.4ftlb
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post
Bigger injectors are part of the end plan, will have to get back to you on injector duty cycle at WOT, with the Walbro 240 they were virtually maxed out with the 65mm pulley, but the aeromotive 340 has given me a touch of head room, but not enough
Kool.
I did some calculations and those 42's came up a bit short to be at 80% duty cycle, which is why I asked.

You gona stick with Bosch or go with ID's?
__________________
M54B30, ESS TS2 Manifold, 4" Throttle Body, 108mm pulley - 4.25".
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #17
zha50
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: S.E Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 246
My Ride: '04 325ci 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post
Not entirely sure, last tuning session I had spark breakdown, dsc kept faulting, and I had no gear recognition (from ssg- manual conversion). I would say based on last best run, plus all issues are now sorted, it would have to be up between 270-280rwkw, 650rwnm, but this is just a vague guess. Maybe zha50 can add some independent comment, he is the only other person who has been in the car at its various stages. AFR's and ignition are in a good range at the moment, so I don't have a reason to spend time on the dyno before making changes.
Overall lots of small things associated with extra boost, such as the failing Bosch spark plugs was holding the top end back.

The biggest leap forward was getting the DME software to run properly as a manual and that changed the entire behavior of the car. The top end returned due to additional timing, but the overall drive ability of the car improved ten-folds. I'm sure Dave would agree.

The numbers on the TS doesn't quite reflect its character, the torque builds so early that you don't really feel like you have hit the 270+kw(as you don't get as sharp transient in the power curve) yet speedo says otherwise

Very interested to see the future of this motor Dave!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'04 325ci M-sport 5MT
- Bone stock -
zha50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #18
Jimmy_46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: melbourne
Posts: 1,616
My Ride: bmw e46 m3
one crazy 330 and ill get to drive it, suck sh1t everyone
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jimmy_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #19
cosmos328Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Queensland
Posts: 1,466
My Ride: 400+whp. 500.4ftlb
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by zha50 View Post
Overall lots of small things associated with extra boost, such as the failing Bosch spark plugs was holding the top end back.

The biggest leap forward was getting the DME software to run properly as a manual and that changed the entire behavior of the car. The top end returned due to additional timing, but the overall drive ability of the car improved ten-folds. I'm sure Dave would agree.

The numbers on the TS doesn't quite reflect its character, the torque builds so early that you don't really feel like you have hit the 270+kw(as you don't get as sharp transient in the power curve) yet speedo says otherwise

Very interested to see the future of this motor Dave!
Thanks for the added info, sounds like a ball terra when the little problems are resolved.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_46 View Post
one crazy 330 and ill get to drive it, suck sh1t everyone
LOL.
__________________
M54B30, ESS TS2 Manifold, 4" Throttle Body, 108mm pulley - 4.25".
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #20
Davconelectric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,915
My Ride: 2 dog powered sled
Haha
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Davconelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.