BMW 320D - No power at low revs - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
delgrog

BMW 320D - No power at low revs

Model - BMW 320D
Year - 2003
Engine – M47 TU

The problem started with a turbo failure... big bang, white smoke, drained all the oil from the sump and spat it out in places it shouldn’t have.

- Replaced turbo with a reconditioned garret turbo.
- Fitted a new breather filter and a new air filter.
- Fitted a new primary CAT.

The problem now is that there is no power or torque at low revs, when I set off in 1st gear and 2nd gear it’s completely flat... I have changed the following parts without success to try and resolve the issue...

- Fitted a new MAF sensor and a new fuel pressure sensor.
- Cleaned the inlet manifold, changed the gaskets and some valves on the inlet manifold.
- Tested EGR valve, seems to be working, though i may change it.

HELP!
delgrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
HELLAS NC

My Ride: 03 320Diesel Tractor
Saw your thread in General Forum and followed it here:

I also got a 2003 320d with 121000km on. Whats the mileage on yours? I have a problem that the EGR valve doesnt function right on cold mornings. The it smokes like MAD. What I do is stop, turn off the car and start it again. Repeat once or twice and then the valve functions normally. Is this a prelude to things to come?

What other problems did you experience?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem.
HELLAS NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
delgrog

my car has done 48000 miles i think that translates to about 80000 km. My problems have stemmed from a faulty turbo... an inherent problem with this engine model. When my turbo went bang, i replaced it and replaced a number of other parts as a consequence of the failure. I have not experienced the car issues your're experiencing... My problem now is that the engine does not have any power at low revs, and i can't figure out why.

Your problem could be with the MAF sensor, which controls the EGR valve to a degree. Do you have any loss of power through the rev range? What does the car sound like when it's idling? I think that you may have a faulty EGR valve.
delgrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
HELLAS NC

My Ride: 03 320Diesel Tractor
The idle sounds normal (for a diesel), but I had a rattle in my rear exhaust box. BMW told me its a cracked CAT box (BULLLSHT) and then wanted to charge me ZAR9500 (US$950) to replace. I had an extra bracket welded onto the rear box to support it better, and the rattle is gone... What I do realize now (and it may just be in my head),but the idle and accelleration sounds is a bit harsher (more diesel like). Dunno.
It's also got the startup rattles and coughing while cold(which is ''normal'': I have 2 friends with similar 320diesels)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem.
HELLAS NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
yas

My Ride: E46 330d Sport Auto
could be one of the pipes?

yas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Reino

HELPPP!!!BMW 320 D no Power Aswell after Turbo Change and Diesel Pump

HELPPP!!
Good day

Did you manage to get any solution towards the low rpm (No Power) issue
I can littraly put my foot flat down and there will be weak power
As soon as i get to 2000rpm the car goes
HELPPP!!HELPPP!!HELPPP!!HELPPP!!PLEASEEE
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote