Turning 4dr e46 328i into m3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > E46 Engine Swaps

E46 Engine Swaps
Replacing your motor? From direct replacements to more exoctic engines, if it's going under the hood of an E46 3 Series this is the forum to discuss it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
Chrisbimmer

Turning 4dr e46 328i into m3

Hi all,
Rather new to the world of bmw, but getting a 328i e46 for next to nothing, and was interested in doing a engine/trans swap from the regular 328i stock to m3 engine&6speed manual. Although I am not the most knowledgeable about cars, my father is a very experienced mechanic and is willing to help. Money isn't really a concern here since I'm getting it for free and I know where to get the M3 parts... how difficult is it to achieve this/ does this project seem realistic?
Cheers.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Unless youíre very familiar with bimmers, I recommend that you donít try the swap. Your car is wired for the M52 engine family. The S54 engine uses very different wiring setup. I have a friend who swapped an S54 into an E46 that had the S52 engine. Took him 6 months to get it right.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #3
genius328i

My Ride: 328i
many people have done it everything mounts up fairly easy their tons of guys on here that will help out and have done write ups on them. me myself has done the swap had headaches with the pedal and throttle actuator but it is fairly simple. Their is more than enough people in this form that can help you in the right direction
genius328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 330iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Unless youíre very familiar with bimmers, I recommend that you donít try the swap. Your car is wired for the M52 engine family. The S54 engine uses very different wiring setup. I have a friend who swapped an S54 into an E46 that had the S52 engine. Took him 6 months to get it right.
Wait what?
I assume that is a typo, S52s were in the e36.

A 99 328 e46 with a M52TU is wired 99% the same as a M54 equipped e46.
If you have a donor m3, it isn't a crazy custom swap. Gut the donor and shove it in the sedan.
If you only have the motor, youre in for headaches.

Sent from my tractor.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote