m54b30 from an e39 to e46 Engine Swap?? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > E46 Engine Swaps

E46 Engine Swaps
Replacing your motor? From direct replacements to more exoctic engines, if it's going under the hood of an E46 3 Series this is the forum to discuss it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Sean_Cassidy

My Ride: 325iT - DD
m54b30 from an e39 to e46 Engine Swap??

Hello all,

Came across an m54b30 with 139k miles out of an e39 (it's a 530i) for real cheap and am looking to swap it into my 2002 325iT which has 270k miles on it. I'm curious if anyone off the bat has any recommendations for doing this swap. I know that I'll need to flash the ECU, but my I'm mainly concerned about the wiring harness. The car this engine is being removed from has an automatic transmission - not sure if this matters.

Just looking for advice or any knowledge from anyone who has swapped motors form a 5 series to a 3 series.

Anything helps, thanks!
Sean_Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
brewster240

My Ride: 02 325it, 95 m3
i just did same swap.

change over oil pan. ad a pilot bearing to crank. replace seals and gaskets as needed.

the 325 harness goes right on it. you didnt mention what year e39. the 02 325 has square coils, the later engines have round coils. you can just swap your valve cover and coils on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

miss my zhp :(
looking for e46 m3 with high miles/in need of work.
brewster240 is offline   Reply With Quote