Supra e46 Sedan - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > E46 Engine Swaps

E46 Engine Swaps
Replacing your motor? From direct replacements to more exoctic engines, if it's going under the hood of an E46 3 Series this is the forum to discuss it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
e462jz

My Ride: Integra Type-R
Supra e46 Sedan

Hi e46 fanatics, I have been thinking long and hard about my next project, and have decided to do some research on the logistics of swapping a toyota 2jz-gte into a e46 sedan chassis.

I got the idea because I've really liked the e46 sedan body lines and chassis design for a long time. However my dream car is the mk4 toyota supra. I now am at a point in my life where I can purchase the Supra, but don't want the attention it brings.

So I think i want to build a Black/Black e46 sedan with a 2jz-gte with 6 speed.

My questions are:

is it worth it to find an originally manual e46 chassis? Can I go with a automatic donor chassis? Wont I have to bring over the pedals from the supra anyways? I am looking for an extremely low mileage chassis and automatics are easier to come by. I plan on immediately pulling out the original drive train.

The Toyota supra has a double wishbone suspension front and rear. The e46 sedan uses MacPherson up front, idk the rear. What would feel different between the e46 MacPherson struts and the mk4 supra double wishbone suspension if the powerplants were the same? Also, in what ways would the steering be different?

Is there any real difference between the 323i, 325i, 328i, 330i, and ZHP for my purposes? I know the ZHP comes with larger anti-roll bars and lower suspension. However I plan on upgrading the suspension, brakes and wheels right away, so the stock stuff don't matter to me. Should I get a 323i if it matches my specifications? I am really just buying the car just for the chassis. The entire drivetrain, suspension, brakes, and wheels will be changed. So at the core, is there any difference between a 323i shell and a ZHP shell?

I was considering looking for a black automatic ZHP for my build. But after everything, I think the only difference would be the front and rear bumper, and the interior bits.

So what are your thoughts? should i get an automatic transmission donor chassis?

I am generally looking for the differences between the E46 sedan and the mk4 toyota supra. fuel tank is 2 gallons smaller.... suspension is different... what else? they're about the same weight...

Any other tips or things to consider would be appreciated!

A Supra is about $50,000.
I think i can build this sleeper 2jz e46 sedan for under 50k.
What other cars should i consider for $50k? I am considering an M4.

Thanks.

Last edited by e462jz; 11-03-2017 at 08:16 AM.
e462jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:46 AM   #2
Gbro

My Ride: 2004 E46 325xi
Well OP, your username is very fitting...

Haha anyways...
I personally think finding a manual would be preferable because you can most likely use the stock clutch/brake pedals. You will have to get a new throttle pedal because 2j's are cable throttle, so you could possibly use an e36 pedal. But if you can find a automatic that is better suited then a pedal conversion wont be the worst of your issues.

As for chassis:
Do you prefer the facelift or pre-facelift body?
Get an "i" not an "xi".
330i's and Zhp's have upgraded brakes/suspension.
Zhp's have an upgraded interior and bumpers but other than that it isn't really that much different (besides engine, ect..)
Not sure the Mk4 Supra's diff ratio but maybe research it and find what e46 has the closest ratio.

Hope this helps a little Op, Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
e462jz

I agree, if i find an automatic, swapping pedals in wont be too difficult. But are you saying there will be much more difficult problems I will run into if i use an originally automatic chassis? if so, like what?

I prefer the facelift, but only because they are newer cars and tend to be lower mileage/cleaner. If i found a pre-facelift black/black e46 sedan with mint condition paint than I would go with pre-facelift.

I am liking the 330i/zhp upgraded brakes and suspension. if i found a low enough mileage example, I am considering leaving the stock suspension on and just upgrading the brakes. I like the ZHP decklid spoiler and the seats are dope, but I can always put these on any e46. But I don't like the M front and rear bumpers. I am going for lowkey. I think i am looking for any e46 sedan, black/black, in awesome condition. and than maybe only manual examples.

1 owner low mileage examples are much easier to find in automatic. I have found a few i like. However I've yet to find a manual example that fits my specs. Should i just tough it out? its really not that big of a deal waiting to find the manual example. I don't mind spending the extra money if it is truly worth it. But I am not sure why it would be worth it... what exactly will buying a manual do for me, vs buying an automatic, solely for the purposes of motor swapping? Will the gauges be different? I will probably be using a racepak gauge cluster anyways though.... the stock ecu is going in the trash... i can switch over the manual shift boot.... what else should i be thinking about?

I am trying to build a street supra that i can park in public and people leave it alone.

I am going to get some major work done on another one of my cars here pretty soon. I will bring my idea up with my mechanics and see what they think.

Thanks for the reply

Last edited by e462jz; 11-04-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
e462jz

http://www.integritymotorsca.com/200...0/Details.aspx

here is an example of a car I want to put a 2jz in and daily drive.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
sweet jones

My Ride: CLK, S54 E46 Touring
That's a very nice example and i'm pretty sure there's a donor car/roller out there waiting for you top pick it up, the thing is finding it. I would look across every single craigslist city possible to find what you're looking for. I have seen two very nice touring roller examples just in my neck of the woods recently, the cars are out there. It would suck to buy a complete and nice running car just to gut it all out but i understand. I would say, if it's not something that has a deadline, take your time finding the perfect roller to save some money where you can.
S54/6 speed, FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff, M3 suspension, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, CSL brakes, , 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust.
sweet jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
I'll take the ecu out of whatever car you get

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PA Soft
Driver:

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
e462jz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet jones View Post
That's a very nice example and i'm pretty sure there's a donor car/roller out there waiting for you top pick it up, the thing is finding it. I would look across every single craigslist city possible to find what you're looking for. I have seen two very nice touring roller examples just in my neck of the woods recently, the cars are out there. It would suck to buy a complete and nice running car just to gut it all out but i understand. I would say, if it's not something that has a deadline, take your time finding the perfect roller to save some money where you can.
I really like this idea. I was hoping that I would be able to sell the original motor and transmission to help negate the cost a bit, but if I can find what i'm looking for without a motor and trans than that saves me time and money.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #8
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e462jz View Post
I really like this idea. I was hoping that I would be able to sell the original motor and transmission to help negate the cost a bit, but if I can find what i'm looking for without a motor and trans than that saves me time and money.

Thanks for the tips.
Why not just look for shells? I know it'll be harder to find a clean one but they do exist
Edit: oops I didn't read the post you quoted

Last edited by armenh7; 11-04-2017 at 08:00 PM.
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
sweet jones

My Ride: CLK, S54 E46 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by e462jz View Post

Thanks for the tips.
When my touring was swapped, it was nice to be able to sell the original running motor to help offset the cost of the swap. But if you're looking to start a project with a swap from the get go, roller + 2JZ sounds like the way to go. Good luck on your search.
S54/6 speed, FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff, M3 suspension, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, CSL brakes, , 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust.
sweet jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
KEVORM

My Ride: 2002 325iT
Year: 2002
Model: 325iT (2JZ Swap)
Transmission: T56 Magnum
I know this is a few months old, but if you are still considering a 2J swap, you might be able to get some ideas from my thread here:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1186585

Also, join the Facebook group: 1JZ and 2JZ Powered BMWs. Tons of super helpful guys in that group.
(Sold)
2015 328 Sport Wagon (Sold)
1984 325 PRO3 Racecar (Sold)
KEVORM is offline   Reply With Quote