4.4 motor swap - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > E46 Engine Swaps

E46 Engine Swaps
Replacing your motor? From direct replacements to more exoctic engines, if it's going under the hood of an E46 3 Series this is the forum to discuss it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
jbubbles6

My Ride: 04 BMW 325xi
4.4 motor swap

I currently daily commute 100 miles a day in an 04 325xi. I've been having issues with it lately. It has an oil leak. I've fixed a few leaks on it already, but I can't find the rest of them. I've had the radiator blow up on me and it was trying to overheat at one point. I've driven it a year since I got it fixed, without anymore overheating issues but I'm still having problems with it leaking. Last night it suddenly started smelling like burnt oil (not your typical burning off the leaked oil smell), had no power (it would barely go 40mph with the throttle to the floor), and won't shift right. I regularly check the fluids and top off the oil constantly, but I'm not sure if it may have been ran dry at some point before I got it. New spark plugs and vaccum line less than a month ago. I had to fix all sorts of vaccum leaks. It's not missing. I'm about ready to give up on it.

I do have an 01 X5 with the 4.4 motor in it, just sitting in my driveway. It's been sitting in my driveway for 2 years now. It needs timing chain tensioners. I had it running (but not driving) in January of 2017, but it has not been started since then. It's more work than I want to do by myself and I really don't want to pay that kind of money to have someone else do it. If I'm going to do that much work, I might as well drop the 4.4 in my 325.

Has anyone ever tried to do a 4.4 v8 motor swap in an 04 325xi? Will the 4.4 fit in the 325? What kind of problems should I look out for?

Am I better off just trying to fix the x5? Or should I just stick with the 325? Or get rid of both? I'm lost. I'm a single mom with limited time and limited funds. Any ideas or input on how to get one of the two running again would be greatly appreciated.

Edit to add: I'm not sure yet what codes the 325 is throwing yet. I will try to get them read soon. I don't have easy access to a reader right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
jbubbles6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
wcushing75

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xi
Get the codes and the car soft 1.4 scanner and get that in line 6 breathing fire again

Sent from my [device_name] using E46Fanatics mobile app
wcushing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 330iT
Swapping a 4.4 will require custom fabrication, and a whole lot of money.

I agree, see whats going on with the 325.
At worst, part it out.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
The M62 is a terrible engine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PA Soft
Driver:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
drehart

My Ride: 2005 330xi
My suggestion would be to find a good used engine (with a warranty) that fits your car. Maybe sell or part out the x5 to pay for it?
I replaced the engine in my 330xi. It was not technically difficult, just time consuming.
Before you install the used engine, replace all the lower end gaskets, rear main seal, hoses etc. then the cooling parts too. It makes the cost a little higher but the piece of mind is worth it.
Additionally, you have to take the front suspension apart to pull the engine in an xi, so during the swap is the best time to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
drehart is offline   Reply With Quote