621372 miles (999999KM) on 2000 323ci cluster mileage maxed out now what? - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #81
wfx32

My Ride: AWD
Model: 330XI 08/2004
Transmission: auto
621372 miles (999999KM) on 2000 323ci cluster mileage maxed out now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kburger View Post
BMWNA denied my request for help with this. Typical. So i guess i'll just use ultraguage to keep track of mileage. This is a defect in the cluster bmw should fix it free.

yeah i think we are all expecting that initial bmw response .. so thatís why some cca intervention and/or media pressure might be helpful here.

iím also hoping that someone takes this case as the impetus or legal reason to crack the cluster. . problem is that we are all fans of the car, and we donít want to see a lot of used cars with bogus mileage on the market.

what i would like to see is a solution that allows the /addition/ of miles but not *subtraction. not sure if that can be done with a dme or cluster fix. my guess is that both would have to be patched somehow.

Last edited by wfx32; 10-20-2019 at 10:48 AM.
wfx32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #82
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
BMWNA denied my request for help with this. Typical. So i guess i'll just use ultraguage to keep track of mileage. This is a defect in the cluster bmw should fix it free.
Technically, this is a built-in limitation, not a defect, one that only affects a very select group of BMW owners.
For this exact reason BMWNA should find a way to make it up to you, instead of treating you like a guy calling them about a cracked differential carrier mounting point...
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:48 AM   #83
kburger

My Ride: 323ci coupe 2000 bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Technically, this is a built-in limitation, not a defect, one that only affects a very select group of BMW owners.
For this exact reason BMWNA should find a way to make it up to you, instead of treating you like a guy calling them about a cracked differential carrier mounting point...
true that mega. I got a pm from the editor of bimmerlife. Looks like they are gonna do a story on it. Should help me with bmwna. I'm a tech by trade issues like this are a pain the first time. But once they figure out the fix (thats the hard part), then get it setup, should be cookie cutter for future issues.
kburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:49 AM   #84
kburger

Oh, btw, my dealer did tell me what they wanted to do for the "fix". Just don't know if this is the only way to fix it. My dealer wants to put in a brand new cluster and set it to 0, program it to my car (sync to modules), then they do some kind of note for the vin saying its a rollover. I'm just not sure going forward if thats what they actually will do.

Last edited by kburger; 10-20-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:50 AM   #85
dutchhome

My Ride: 2004 330xi
In my opinion the rollover is the best option. It keeps you nice and official and you get to continue logging miles. I don't think dealer tools allow setting the mileage at all so unfortunately you probably won't be able to do something like pretend the rollover happened at 500,000 to make the math easier for your local DMV. I just hope they gift the cluster to you and don't try making you pay dealer prices for it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #86
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
I don't think they'll successfully set it to 0. Generally as soon as the vin is programmed into these things, they pull the mileage from the LCM. I suspect yours will read 186k miles right off the bat.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #87
wfx32

Quote:
I got a pm from the editor of bimmerlife. Looks like they are gonna do a story on it. Should help me with bmwna.

thatís great news. if not possible to pressure bmw into an official fix, then at least the story may generate more feedback and ideas on a workaround.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #88
dutchhome

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I don't think they'll successfully set it to 0. Generally as soon as the vin is programmed into these things, they pull the mileage from the LCM. I suspect yours will read 186k miles right off the bat.
Yes, they would of course need to supply all of the modules that store mileage at the same time. That's quite a big ask for BMW to supply. It's funny how we have the tools needed to do this sort of thing quickly and easily but it must be a significant investment of both time and money for this to be done officially. And if they screw up the order in which they change the parts the new modules will be irreversibly (for them) set to the highest value too. Imagine the bureaucratic effort needed for BMW to write out an official work instruction to put this together for a single individual. Definitely a big ask from them.

dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #89
kburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
Yes, they would of course need to supply all of the modules that store mileage at the same time. That's quite a big ask for BMW to supply. It's funny how we have the tools needed to do this sort of thing quickly and easily but it must be a significant investment of both time and money for this to be done officially. And if they screw up the order in which they change the parts the new modules will be irreversibly (for them) set to the highest value too. Imagine the bureaucratic effort needed for BMW to write out an official work instruction to put this together for a single individual. Definitely a big ask from them.

true that dutch. So like i said earlier, my dealer told me what the wanted to do. But i'm thinking more people will have the same problem, no? So they need to use me as the "guinea pig", and figure out the best/easiest way to resolve this. I need to keep logging miles "legally/legitimately". I will keep posting here as this progresses i see the interest here people are watching. If i dont post nothing is happening. Enjoying the conversation though you folks are smart
Old 10-21-2019, 01:31 AM   #90
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
It may be worth trying to make noise elsewhere. Forgive me because I am young and don't have to deal with anything of that magnitude, and this situation is definitely unique, but it may be worth reaching out to say, the attorney general and saying how you're afraid of the legality issues involved with registering your car and such, and how unhelpful the dealer is, and how they are making a manufacturing error/issue as a point to try to empty your wallet just to keep your vehicle road legal.

To be blatantly honest, I just see on Legal advice and Reddit that when all else fails with issues with large businesses, things just magically find a way to be resolved once noise is made upstairs. Watching closely and good luck
Old 10-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #91
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
It may be worth trying to make noise elsewhere. Forgive me because I am young and don't have to deal with anything of that magnitude, and this situation is definitely unique, but it may be worth reaching out to say, the attorney general and saying how you're afraid of the legality issues involved with registering your car and such, and how unhelpful the dealer is, and how they are making a manufacturing error/issue as a point to try to empty your wallet just to keep your vehicle road legal.

To be blatantly honest, I just see on Legal advice and Reddit that when all else fails with issues with large businesses, things just magically find a way to be resolved once noise is made upstairs. Watching closely and good luck
I don't think much will come of it. This isn't the first car for something like this to happen to (in fact I think some older Corollas stop counting at 299,999), and the general expectation with digital clusters has been that they'll stop counting at some point. Whether that's at 621xxx or 999,999 doesn't really make a material difference. Legally all that will happen is the same thing that happens to anything else - just brand the title as true mileage unknown and be done with it.

Quote:
true that dutch. So like i said earlier, my dealer told me what the wanted to do. But i'm thinking more people will have the same problem, no? So they need to use me as the "guinea pig", and figure out the best/easiest way to resolve this. I need to keep logging miles "legally/legitimately". I will keep posting here as this progresses i see the interest here people are watching. If i dont post nothing is happening. Enjoying the conversation though you folks are smart
As long as you can arrange it so that you don't pay anything unless they successfully set the mileage to zero there's probably no risk. But I'd bet my kidney that there won't be an official fix of any sort.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 10-21-2019 at 11:58 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #92
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.569 mu
Year: 99
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5-spd
BMW should be ashamed that it didn't think their cars would be loved and cared for so much that they'd make it past 999,999 kilometers. For shame, BMW.

I hope there's a software fix. Any chance you can reconfigure each space on the cluster to be 10X --in effect, getting rid of single miles...at least you'd see mileage increased...(obviously I have no idea what the code is hiding behind our cluster.)

Brand new unlisted vid just for you.

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #93
wfx32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Any chance you can reconfigure each space on the cluster to be 10X --in effect, getting rid of single miles...at least you'd see mileage increased...(obviously I have no idea what the code is hiding behind our cluster.)
that's a nice idea .. and might be better visually than a fixed offset / rollover..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
So if the "mileage data field" (or whatever its called) in the instrument cluster or eeprom had one more bit (21 bits instead of just 20) with which to store the value, then would it be able to keep counting up to 2,097,120 kms or about 2 million kms?
so which of the modules store the mileage and would need to be modified to support the additional bit (DME, LCM, EWS, the cluster itself?).
Old 10-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #94
wfx32

but unfortunately i think you could read 49 USC 32703 as forbidding a well intentioned fix to the problem with the "designed tolerance":

Quote:
A person may not-
(1) advertise for sale, sell, use, install, or have installed, a device that makes an odometer of a motor vehicle register a mileage different from the mileage the vehicle was driven, as registered by the odometer within the designed tolerance of the manufacturer of the odometer;
(2) disconnect, reset, alter, or have disconnected, reset, or altered, an odometer of a motor vehicle intending to change the mileage registered by the odometer;
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...legal-illegal/

Last edited by wfx32; 10-21-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: roadandtrack article about ferrari
Old 10-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #95
kburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfx32 View Post
that's a nice idea .. and might be better visually than a fixed offset / rollover..

so which of the modules store the mileage and would need to be modified to support the additional bit (DME, LCM, EWS, the cluster itself?).
i know the cluter and lcm store the mileage. and its designed to activate the tamper dot if someone attempts to falsify the mileage. but like most technology today its designed to help but in the long run it hurts people trying to do things legitimately. great posts guys keep it comin
Old 10-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #96
TerraPhantm

Quote:
i know the cluter and lcm store the mileage. and its designed to activate the tamper dot if someone attempts to falsify the mileage. but like most technology today its designed to help but in the long run it hurts people trying to do things legitimately. great posts guys keep it comin
Mileage discrepancy actually will never set off the tamper dot. It's only a VIN mismatch that would set it off.