Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software... - Page 358 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 07:15 AM   #7141
Iliyasuper

My Ride: 316 with M54b30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionreptyle View Post
Yes,but they are intended for US cars, for EU theoretically can be slightly enhanced,and still be safe. They work on stages to,i have first stage,gathered from dedicated users that have my gratitude and main reason for sharing some of files that i use is for them to have access to.
Also,shark tunes seems to be by far the most complex and prone to gaining results (not much but they do something) next to Motorenwerke - focused on power,so ,kind of extreme.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dv...XgyuOIqyjlu5-T

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Thank you !
Iliyasuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #7142
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: goes choo choo
Year: 2004
Model: 330Cic ZHP
Transmission: AT->5MT->6MT
I need some tuning insight.

I just did M56 cover and fixed a bunch of air leaks. My tune was apparently done with air leaks so Im having to readjust fueling, starting with idle. Ive gotten it to the point where it will idle stably at 14.7, but when I rev the motor and let it fall to idle, it leans out and dies. With the o2 sensor unplugged, it idles at 12.5, and if I rev it, it will return to idle normally and not die. Is there a factor for o2 sensor responsiveness or delay I should fix?

Also, with the M56 cover, Im getting alot of smoke from the tailpipe on idle and rev. Could possibly be the old oil in the cover, but not sure. Any insight there?
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #7143
CarbonZHP

double post

Last edited by CarbonZHP; 06-06-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:58 AM   #7144
stefm5

My Ride: 2001 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
I need some tuning insight.

I just did M56 cover and fixed a bunch of air leaks. My tune was apparently done with air leaks so Im having to readjust fueling, starting with idle. Ive gotten it to the point where it will idle stably at 14.7, but when I rev the motor and let it fall to idle, it leans out and dies. With the o2 sensor unplugged, it idles at 12.5, and if I rev it, it will return to idle normally and not die. Is there a factor for o2 sensor responsiveness or delay I should fix?

Also, with the M56 cover, Im getting alot of smoke from the tailpipe on idle and rev. Could possibly be the old oil in the cover, but not sure. Any insight there?
add fuel in the entire range of load and rpm values in the idle speed tables
stefm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #7145
CarbonZHP

Add fuel? But without the o2 it's already running rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #7146
stefm5

My Ride: 2001 530i
Quote:

you said it leans out. obviously is rich at idle but with no extra load.
stefm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #7147
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:

I had smoke with m56 valve cover , apparently I had a lot of crankcase pressure , it took 2 , 10an lines to stabilize it , and on idle I have smoke coming out catch cans with slightly positive pressure
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #7148
CarbonZHP

Have others had this issue with M56 cover?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #7149
d_cleverzz

My Ride: Manual 2001 330ci
Year: 2001
Model: 330CI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Got some questions about ignition timing and knock.
So for some reason. My bank 1 always sees higher knock voltage than bank 2.
Iíve come to understand that 1.8 knock voltage should be the max we want to see as that is what the ECU sets as its max allowed noise level. Although I donít understand completely how to interpret voltage. Reading from tuning material from some company. They claim 3.5-4v would indicate a knock event.

Bank 1 would see max 1.8 volts with my own vanos timing. I set it cams to stock to see if it made a difference, 2 runs I did showed bank 1 at 1.77 then 1.78. This is with just 3į degrees of advance. When logging, there doesnít seem to be an ignition retard at this point. It seems to happen around 4000-4200 rpm. When noises is the highest, no matter the loud. Although full loud at the rpm creates max noise.

Iím wondering if you guys have any insight on this. I thought 3į would be best. But as scorpionreptyle and sharktune have indicated, they run 7į max.
I live in Florida where humidity and heat is high.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
ORIENT BLUE VERT PRE-FACELIFT FRONT FENDERS
d_cleverzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #7150
d_cleverzz

Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software...

Whether with a stock tune or not, but I canít remember the values knock sensors presented with a stock tune.
Iíve come to understand that 1.8 knock voltage should be the max we want to see as that is what the ECU sets as its max allowed noise level. Although I donít understand completely how to interpret voltage. Reading from tuning material from some company. They claim 3.5-4v would indicate a knock event.

Bank 1 would see max 1.8 volts with my own vanos timing. I set it cams to stock to see if it made a difference, 2 runs I did showed bank 1 at 1.77 then 1.78. This is with just 3į degrees of ignition and advance and stock vanos. When logging, there doesnít seem to be an ignition retard at this point. It seems to happen around 4000-4200 rpm. When noises is the highest, no matter the load. Although full loud at the rpm creates max noise.

Iím wondering if you guys have any insight on this. I thought 3į would be best. But as scorpionreptyle and sharktune have indicated, they run 7į max.

Iím mostly curious as to why bank 1 is creating the most noise. Also, how to interpret knock voltage. Obviously more noise the worse. But how exactly to analyze it would be great as I canít find any more outside material.

Last edited by d_cleverzz; 06-11-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #7151
scorpionreptyle

My Ride: e36 330i
Year: 1997
Model: E36
Transmission: 5 spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_cleverzz View Post
Whether with a stock tune or not, but I can’t remember the values knock sensors presented with a stock tune.
I’ve come to understand that 1.8 knock voltage should be the max we want to see as that is what the ECU sets as its max allowed noise level. Although I don’t understand completely how to interpret voltage. Reading from tuning material from some company. They claim 3.5-4v would indicate a knock event.

Bank 1 would see max 1.8 volts with my own vanos timing. I set it cams to stock to see if it made a difference, 2 runs I did showed bank 1 at 1.77 then 1.78. This is with just 3į degrees of ignition and advance and stock vanos. When logging, there doesn’t seem to be an ignition retard at this point. It seems to happen around 4000-4200 rpm. When noises is the highest, no matter the load. Although full loud at the rpm creates max noise.

I’m wondering if you guys have any insight on this. I thought 3į would be best. But as scorpionreptyle and sharktune have indicated, they run 7į max.

I’m mostly curious as to why bank 1 is creating the most noise. Also, how to interpret knock voltage. Obviously more noise the worse. But how exactly to analyze it would be great as I can’t find any more outside material.

you cant interpret knock by sensors voltage. There is a more complex way for ecu to establish if it is or not a knock event. Just log and see if timing is dropping comparing with whats on your map or just by looking at. Knowing your car is impossible to not feel the drop in power when it occures. From what i`ve done by now, 10 degs advance is safe enough for EU,and made an improvement over part throttle experience. Its impossible to knock with 5 degs advance , less probable with 3. you are spending your time analysing sensors noises than doing runs and logs.... In the end,if you get knock,your ecu will react and fix the timing,and you will feel it and back down a bit. Nothing gonna blow if you take a trip or two and encounter this issue.

Last edited by scorpionreptyle; 06-11-2019 at 02:11 PM.
scorpionreptyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #7152
d_cleverzz

Quote:
you cant interpret knock by sensors voltage. There is a more complex way for ecu to establish if it is or not a knock event. Just log and see if timing is dropping comparing with whats on your map or just by looking at. Knowing your car is impossible to not feel the drop in power when it occures. From what i`ve done by now, 10 degs advance is safe enough for EU,and made an improvement over part throttle experience. Its impossible to knock with 5 degs advance , less probable with 3.

Youíre right. Iím sure Iíd be able to feel power reduction from the ECU pulling timing, but Iíve never had that experience so Iím not quite sure either.
Is there a way I can learn to understand knock voltage best, and noise. Itís gotta be there for a reason. Someone understands it somewhere lol.
Especially for when I got turbo, I want to keep noise to a minimum. I will be taking timing out accordingly but still would like to understand it better.

From looking at the sharktune, it seems like the yincreased the sensitivity of the knock parameters. But Iím not sure what Iím looking at either.
Thanks for the replies and help scorpion. Much appreciated.

Last edited by d_cleverzz; 06-11-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 AM   #7153
chrisseiner

My Ride: M3 Coupe | 330 CiC
Year: 2003
Model: E46
Transmission: SMG II | SMG 2
Quote:
Yes,but they are intended for US cars, for EU theoretically can be slightly enhanced,and still be safe. They work on stages to,i have first stage,gathered from dedicated users that have my gratitude and main reason for sharing some of files that i use is for them to have access to.
Also,shark tunes seems to be by far the most complex and prone to gaining results (not much but they do something) next to Motorenwerke - focused on power,so ,kind of extreme.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dv...XgyuOIqyjlu5-T

Is there an easy way to upgrade those to 0069?
Its aannoying in tuner pro u cant set another xdf for the compare bin. its hard to take notes of all those changes and stuff.
chrisseiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:23 AM   #7154
scorpionreptyle

My Ride: e36 330i
Year: 1997
Model: E36
Transmission: 5 spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisseiner View Post
Is there an easy way to upgrade those to 0069?

Its aannoying in tuner pro u cant set another xdf for the compare bin. its hard to take notes of all those changes and stuff.

Unfortunately,i dont know another way. ...open tunerPro and find differences against a stock 056. Then, on a second instance of TunerPro, open a stock 69 and proceed with similar maps in manual mode.
I dont have time now to change another sw version

Last edited by scorpionreptyle; 06-12-2019 at 04:24 AM.
scorpionreptyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:34 AM   #7155
chrisseiner

Quote:
Unfortunately,i dont know another way. ...open tunerPro and find differences against a stock 056. Then, on a second instance of TunerPro, open a stock 69 and proceed with similar maps in manual mode.
I dont have time now to change another sw version

Okay, I will try my best.

I can't really go down on Software because of the 6-Speed SMG and so on
Old 06-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #7156
t651

My Ride: BMW
Does anyone know what the two alternator maps relate to?

ip_cha_bat__tam__vb
ip_cur_alter__n

Cheers!
t651 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #7157
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
Year: 98
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_cleverzz View Post
Whether with a stock tune or not, but I canít remember the values knock sensors presented with a stock tune.

Bank 1 would see max 1.8 volts with my own vanos timing. I set it cams to stock to see if it made a difference, 2 runs I did showed bank 1 at 1.77 then 1.78. This is with just 3į degrees of ignition and advance and stock vanos. When logging, there doesnít seem to be an ignition retard at this point. It seems to happen around 4000-4200 rpm. When noises is the highest, no matter the load. Although full loud at the rpm creates max noise.

Iím mostly curious as to why bank 1 is creating the most noise. Also, how to interpret knock voltage. Obviously more noise the worse. But how exactly to analyze it would be great as I canít find any more outside material.

There is no 1 level that indicates knock.
It changes with rpm and load.
If you look at the knock maps in tuner Pro you will see that there is 1(min) for rpm-to-knock threshold levels and another that has rpm-to-load.
These get multiplied together with a constant to calculate the dynamically changing knock level threshold.

It all comes down to the fuel you run to calculate knock levels and you need to read out the per cylinder measured knock readings stored in the DME.
RomRaider does it with the learned adaptations read.
Unless you have been clearing the learned knock levels between each tune, I doubt you have been seeing the actual applied spark advance. The DME will interpolate across the 91 and 98 maps to calculate spark advance using the learned knock.

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #7158
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by t651 View Post
Does anyone know what the two alternator maps relate to?

ip_cha_bat__tam__vb
ip_cur_alter__n

Cheers!
ip_cha_bat__tam__vb calculates the current from or to the battery.

ip_cur_alter__n is the map that tells the ecu what current the alterator delivers.

Both maps are used in the calculation of charge balancing.

Current licensing status:
Security implementation *done*
Implementing Flex Fuel

Siemens MS43 wiki!

Last edited by daniel_f.; 06-12-2019 at 10:22 AM.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #7159
t651

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
ip_cha_bat__tam__vb calculates the current from or to the battery.

ip_cur_alter__n is the map that tells the ecu what current the alterator delivers.

Both maps are used in the calculation of charge balancing.
Good to know.

ip_cha_bat__tam__vb has all negative values with -128 being the lowest and -20s the highest.
-128 means max current I'm assuming?

Basically I'm trying to determine how to add an AGM or Lithium battery to the car and alter the charging profile much like how all the newer BMWs work.

AGM have 14.8v charge profile vs Lithium at 13.8 max profile
t651 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #7160
chrisseiner

can someone helpme fast?
i tried to write partial bin and my son pulled the cable

any chance to fix that?