Bmw E46 from 1992 spark plug? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 03:48 AM   #1
Andresmam

Bmw E46 from 1992 spark plug?

Hi, I have a BMW E46.

Last week the car has been slower than usual and takes little more time to start, Today It took me 5 minutes to just start the car, I turn the key and it sound brmmm brmmmm brmmm but enginge never "starts" until after a few tries

My question is could it be the spark plug, we call it "tändstift" in sweden so I hope this would be the right photo of what I mean

Photo source (borrow) from carblog https://www.abswheels.se/blog/

hhhhh this month has only given me problems

Last edited by Andresmam; 06-12-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: adding photo source
Andresmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:59 AM   #2
alan53

My Ride: bmw E46 330ci
Year: 2004
Model: 3 series
Transmission: 6 speed
Send a message via Yahoo to alan53
Your question suggests a lack of maintenance so yes 6 times for that,followed by replace all consumables and cooling system,however your battery seems good is it new?
alan53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.569 mu
Year: 99
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5-spd
I'm not sure if you're asking about a '92 E36 or an E46 with old spark plugs...but, as suggested above, it could be a maintenance issue.

It could be many things, including clogged fuel filter or soft-failing fuel pump. How many miles...how long have you had the car and what maintenance have you done already? Have you looked at your air filter, changed the oil or know when it was changed last?

Honestly, it probably isn't the plugs, but in the e46, they should be changed every 100,000 miles (if you use the proper plug).

Get a code reader or get your codes read and report them here when you can--that will help you save a lot of time and possibly money in the long run. A $20 thing that plugs into the obdII port and a cell phone app for $5 is all you need.

...and realoem.com is a great site for finding every part number on your car--also helpful.

Good luck.

Brand new unlisted vid just for you.

Mangofy your E46!

Last edited by dmax; 06-12-2019 at 05:33 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
Andresmam

Its the E36, thanks guys realy thank you soo much for the information. I think I should go to the car mechanics :/
Old 06-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #5
Andresmam

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan53 View Post
Your question suggests a lack of maintenance so yes 6 times for that,followed by replace all consumables and cooling system,however your battery seems good is it new?
The battery is new, thats the strangest part
Old 06-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Year: 2003
Model: 325xi
Transmission: Steptronic
If it's an e36 I'm pretty sure the European ones don't have the OBDII port for the scanners we use. Maybe the 20 port under the hood that the Peaked tool fits. Otherwise there is the stomp test for OBDI cars, but I don't know if that works on European spec cars.

Bad outer xi ball joint? https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1127077

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:13 AM   #7
Andresmam

jmo69, ok thanks man I will check that
Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
mynameisbmw

My Ride: e36 328i, e46 325ci
E36 owner here.
There is a "pac-man" connector under the hood on these cars but it does not run the OBD-2 protocol, it runs a protocol called ADS and need a special adapter. The one that I use is sold here as a board, or here as a complete cable (serial to pac-man). You will need an old laptop with a serial port to make this work, and you will have to get BMW's INPA software installed and running to take full advantage.

As to the actual problem that you are having... It could be a lot of things. I recently experienced this same symptom with my E46 (2003 3 series) and my problem was spark plugs and probably coils. You need to go through the diagnostic process through, or you will just be throwing parts at the car.

1) Read codes if you can, BMW INPA with an ADS interface is best. There are some ways to get codes using a PEAKE tool (fcx-3), but they are no longer made and are not as good as INPA on a laptop. I think a lot of people are using mobile apps these days with bluetooth adapters but I dont think that is going to work in ADS.

2) Check fuel. There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail (under the engine covers). They make pressure gauges that are meant for fuel. You can sort of test it by turning the key to position 2 (Accessory = 1, On = 2, Start = 3). This should "prime" the fuel pump and provide fuel pressure at the rail. Get a rag and a small screwdriver. Put the rag around the screwdriver and press the center pin on the schrader valve. Fuel should "squirt" out. If you can do this repeatedly, fuel is probably good.

3) Check spark. With the engine cold, remove a coil and spark plug. Remove the fuel pump fuse (Fuse 18?). Ground the spark plug body (the metal part, looks kinda like this). reconnect the coil and connect the plug and coil (outside the engine, with the spark plug grounded). Try to start the engine. You should be able to see/hear the spark jumping the gap in the spark plug if there is good spark.

4) Check air. Check your air filter and passageways to make sure there is no blockage (unlikely).

5) Check compression. It is very unlikely that the car simply "lost" compression, but it is a necessary ingredient of making the engine go.

Hope that helps and good luck.
mynameisbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Andresmam

wow Thanks man! I will try everything @mynameisbmw
Old 07-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #10
Eirik24

My Ride: Bmw e46 330ci -01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andresmam View Post
wow Thanks man! I will try everything @mynameisbmw
I had a similar problem and it was spark plug ... _sl_

Last edited by Eirik24; 07-03-2019 at 02:40 AM.
Eirik24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
I think OP meant to type e36fanatics.com and his typo brought him here?

Tags
spark plug