Supersprint Race Muffler Drone - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
BMWZCP

Supersprint Race Muffler Drone

I own a 2005 M3 ZCP and finally bit the bullet and replaced that OEM Ship anchor of a muffler with a Supersprint Race one. I had read all the stories about Drone and Rasp and had some reservations that the Drone was going to be very annoying. To my surprise, it's absolutely fantastic and what some people call Drone, I think a better description would be volume increase. For anyone not familiar with it as I was, it sounds like the volume of the exhaust has been increased at around the 2700 to 3000 rpm and reduces after that. I REALLY Like it and for anyone unsure whether or not they want to pull the Trigger, don't be scared, this muffler is the one that BMW should have equipped this car with in the first place.
BMWZCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Obioban

My Ride: 05 M3, 01 M5, M3iT
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Ugh. Disagree. The Race sounds like a ricey fart can when you're using it below 5000rpm (non race RPMs), and the drone (2600-3200 rpm-- right where you sit on the highway) would drive me insane.

... how old are you, out of curiosity?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Cars:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, e91 rwd 6mt, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car, 03 530i 5mt

Last edited by Obioban; 10-16-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #3
BMWZCP

My age is irrelevant. So! what muffler do you prefer. This is just the first piece of part of my exhaust I've replaced and I'm planning on installing American Racing Headers and a CSL style Carbon intake, probably an Evolve unit, because the OEM Unit cost almost $9000 bucks and not sure if I want to spend that much. I've listened to almost every Muffler available and depending on your taste you could say they all could be described as Fart boxes, but I LOVE! the way this Supersprint race sounds when accelerating and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't overly loud, just gave my car a nice Throaty sound. The Stock Muffler is just dreadful, Jesus! it make makes the M3 sound like a Prius. I've read some nice things about the ARH headers, but I also like the Supersprint offerings also, so we'll see which route I decide to go. Anyways! to each their own, I'm curious of what your set up is on your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Obioban

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZCP View Post
My age is irrelevant. So! what muffler do you prefer. This is just the first piece of part of my exhaust I've replaced and I'm planning on installing American Racing Headers and a CSL style Carbon intake, probably an Evolve unit, because the OEM Unit cost almost $9000 bucks and not sure if I want to spend that much. I've listened to almost every Muffler available and depending on your taste you could say they all could be described as Fart boxes, but I LOVE! the way this Supersprint race sounds when accelerating and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't overly loud, just gave my car a nice Throaty sound. The Stock Muffler is just dreadful, Jesus! it make makes the M3 sound like a Prius. I've read some nice things about the ARH headers, but I also like the Supersprint offerings also, so we'll see which route I decide to go. Anyways! to each their own, I'm curious of what your set up is on your car.
Oh goody, american racing headers

I've been through many setups along the way, but my final setup is...
OEM CSL airbox
Schrick cams (makes a difference to intake noise, is why I mention them)
SuperSprint V1 stepped headers
SuperSprint V1 catted section 1
SuperSprint twin tube resonated section 2
SuperSprint street muffler

Zero rasp. Zero drone. Can't hear the muffler over the airbox, which is just about perfect for the e46 M3, which sounds like an exotic up front and a civic out back. Minimize the civic, maximize the exotic.

FWIW, there's 4 mufflers that don't drone:
Stock
Dinan
Scorze
SS Street

If you don't want rasp, you need both resonators and cats.

You've probably heard my car if you've been watching videos-- in a previous exhaust combo, Jalopnik wrote it up as the best sounding M3 ever: https://jalopnik.com/this-might-be-t...3-ever-5673854

... it sounds better now than it did then

I'm still curious about your age

Current Cars:

Last edited by Obioban; 10-16-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
BMWZCP

Well! I'm curious about your age, so you go first since you're so focused on age. The American Racing Headers that you apparently dislike, what is your experience with them. I've got no issues with Supersprint Headers, since I like their products. I always wondered what the issue was with Drone on E46 M3's and from the sound of it, some people absolutely hate it. One of my very good friends has a 2015 Porsche GT3 and there is one area of the RPM band where it makes a very similar sound to the Supersprint Muffler and the first time I heard it I liked it. I guess the point of this thread was to state that the Drone people refer to isn't necessarily metal somewhere in the exhaust system vibrating against the chassis, but rather an increase in the volume of the exhaust at that particular area of the RPM's. I'm not opposed to Rasp either, since it seems like one of the signature sounds of an E46 M3. Anyways! sounds like you have the perfect setup for what you wanted your car to sound like, my ZCP M3 came with HK suspension mods when I bought it, so it has a lower, wider and more aggressive look than a standard E46 M3 and that's the look I like, so now I'm in the beginning stages of figuring out what exhaust and intake mods I'd like to do with my car. You mentioned that you've had many setups along the way, so obviously you started out with something you didn't like and fine tuned it to your liking. You like the Supersprint Sport muffler, I like the Race muffler, because of the weight savings and more aggressive sound it admits. I don't want to get into a Pissin match with you about setups, because obviously you've been down this road more than I have, but just simply adding that Race muffler over the OEM one was a BIG! improvement for me and the Drone issue that everyone complains about doesn't bother me the least, since I was familiar with it in my friends Porsche and I always commented to him that I love that sound when his GT3 would hit that certain area of the RPM's and emit very enhanced increase in the volume inside the cab. Not sure if you've ever driven a Porsche GT3, but that car makes all kinds of crazy noises that go to insane level when you spool it up to 9000 rpms. My car will probably never sound like a GT3, but my goal is to get it closer to the raw sound his Porsche sounds like. Some of the comments I've heard people complain about Drone, would absolutely drive them crazy in a 2015 Porsche GT3, but to others there is absolutely nothing that sounds better than the Drone and high pitch scream that car emits and the last thing they'd ever do is try to tame it down with larger resonators if there is such a thing for it.

Last edited by BMWZCP; 10-16-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
Obioban

I'm 36.

I know American Racing uses the exact same header design on I6 diesel Nissan pickup trucks as they do on the S54-- aka engines with 100% opposite header design requirements. I know ARH posted their claimed dyno numbers before they actually put their car on a dyno-- and as a result I know they "developed" their headers without any actual development on a dyno. I know their single outlet pipe necessitates eliminating O2s sensors, which adds complication to tuning and being street legal (elimination of emissions systems). I know there has not yet been an independent dyno where they outperformed SS, and have been several where they under performed compared to OE euro.

I'm glad you like rasp and drone. But, seeing as 99% of the population hates drone, your advice of "for anyone unsure whether or not they want to pull the Trigger, don't be scared, this muffler is the one that BMW should have equipped this car with in the first place" is... bad. Most people don't want to sound like a civic (SS Race at low RPM) or want their brains vibrated to pieces on the highway by exhaust resonance (drone).

The SS Race great at exactly what it says on the tin-- Race conditions (aka, above 5000rpm 100% of the time). Like most "race" parts offered, really-- crappy on the street.

Please use paragraphs if this conversation is to continue.

Current Cars:

Last edited by Obioban; 10-16-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
BMWZCP

As far as I'm concerned, I don't want this conversation to continue with you involved, because you sound like a Jerk. In the future when you see a Thread I've started, ignore it to save yourself aggravation and furthering your your propensity to be an Jerk to others and that will prevent me from wanting to be an Ass to you, since you seem like somebody I would not like in person. My car is as quiet on the Highway with this Supersprint Race Muffler as it was with the OEM stock Muffler, so I don't know where you're getting the Brains vibrated to pieces comment. As far as Race conditions, I belong to my local BMW club and have done quite a few track events, so this Muffler according to you will be perfect, since I'll be spending plenty of time above that 5000 rpm limit you mentioned. As far as the Drone comment, I believe it's the wrong description as to what it really is and you telling people to beware of a Supersprint Race Muffler, because of Drone might be talking them out of something they might actually enjoy. Anyways! you don't like what I have to say and I'm not really enjoying your smug opinions and demeaning attitude, so as long as you ignore any of my further posts, you'll save yourself any aggravation.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
Obioban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
how old are you, out of curiosity?
Quote:
Well! I'm curious about your age, so you go first since you're so focused on age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'm 36.
I went first...

Current Cars:

Last edited by Obioban; 10-16-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:

My age is irrelevant.

Question answered.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #10
BMWZCP

Well! if you must know, I'm 29. I watched that video and have to admit that your car does sound pretty good, but I've seen a couple others that sound a little bit better than your car did, but as long as your happy with it, that's great. Maybe this isn't the sound you're after, but I like the way this car sounds, but maybe your car with that sport muffler is closer to this now.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #11
Obioban

Quote:
Well! if you must know, I'm 29. I watched that video and have to admit that your car does sound pretty good, but I've seen a couple others that sound a little bit better than your car did, but as long as your happy with it, that's great. Maybe this isn't the sound you're after, but I like the way this car sounds, but maybe your car with that sport muffler is closer to this now.

Every single exhaust component on my car now is different than what was on it in the jalopnik video

I think what you're missing in the video above is that it's almost entirely in the RPM region where the SS Race does sound good-- 5000+ RPM.

... but that's not where 99% of non track driving is, regardless of how aggressively you drive.

Current Cars:

Last edited by Obioban; 10-17-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #12
Nick DeZan

My Ride: 2000 323ci, manual
Model: 2004 330ci,2013 535i
Don't understand why you want the cops to hear you speeding!
Have a young engineer at work here that built his VW GTI engine over 300 hp and even TIG welded his own custom exhaust.
He made it super quiet on purpose, he said he was tired of getting tickets.
Nick DeZan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #13
kjchristopher

My Ride: 2004 M3 vert
Quote:
I guess the point of this thread was to state that the Drone people refer to isn't necessarily metal somewhere in the exhaust system vibrating against the chassis, but rather an increase in the volume of the exhaust at that particular area of the RPM's.
Drone was never exhaust vibrating against the chassis. I guess it is easy to always be right when you make up your own definitions.
kjchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote