Repulicans say Obama broke law in prisoner exhange for Sgt Bergdahl - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #61
JohnBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 7,274
My Ride: Black Sunshine
oh the simple minds in this place, have you read any of the emails between he and his dad. Have you seen his dads tweets? Have you seen any of the interviews with members of his platoon?

From your posting I would say you have not but you should see what you can find, it is suprising to say the least.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #62
Carskibum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,116
My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Obama had a rough weekend.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #63
bagher
Account closed.
 
bagher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,917
Send a message via AIM to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
oh the simple minds in this place, have you read any of the emails between he and his dad. Have you seen his dads tweets? Have you seen any of the interviews with members of his platoon?

From your posting I would say you have not but you should see what you can find, it is suprising to say the least.
oh no his father is trying to understand the mindset of his sons' captors! he sure looks like a secret muslim now that he has a beard and speaks pashto!
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #64
JohnBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 7,274
My Ride: Black Sunshine
Check the emails from before he was supposedly captured homie

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 06-03-2014 at 10:47 AM.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #65
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
oh no his father is trying to understand the mindset of his sons' captors! he sure looks like a secret muslim now that he has a beard and speaks pashto!
So you need to grow a beard to understand something? To thank allah? To say that you understand why he did what he did to save the afghan people? If my son got captured (which looks like he wasn't btw) I sure as sh!t wouldn't want to look like em.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #66
bagher
Account closed.
 
bagher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,917
Send a message via AIM to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
So you need to grow a beard to understand something? To thank allah? To say that you understand why he did what he did to save the afghan people? If my son got captured (which looks like he wasn't btw) I sure as sh!t wouldn't want to look like em.

You're right. He should get a tattoo that says **** the Taliban on his forehead. That will keep his son safe.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #67
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Liberal Paradise
Posts: 346
My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I deserter isn't a POW. Our own government wouldn't classify him as a POW.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/...isoner-of-war/




Also, amazing to see here people talk about due process for this deserter when you didn't give 2 sh!ts about due process when Obama was summarily executing American citizens abroad via drone strikes.
I'll take "What is libel" for $500, Alex.
__________________
The Hunter S Thompson of e46f.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #68
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Liberal Paradise
Posts: 346
My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
So you need to grow a beard to understand something?
He's trying to land a part on Duck Dynasty.
__________________
The Hunter S Thompson of e46f.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #69
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 148
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
The Previous Administration That Shall Not Be Named aggressively carved out a very robust realm of claimed executive power, primarily driven by Cheney and his Chief of Staff, David Addington, both of whom held Congress in very low regard.

The Repubs in Congress at the time didn't voice any problem with this Unitary Executive theory, so I must presume they will be very supportive of Obama in exercising such powers as did the Previous Administration That Shall Not Be Named.
How about the administration before them?
It was really Cheney and Addington that really pushed that Unitary Executive theory far beyond any previous administration, GOP or Dem. Cheney practically tried to carve out the Vice Presidency as being basically above the law or Congressional reach in enormous ways, even grating against the president's office in doing so, which I think lead to a breach in trust and confidence in Cheney by Bush during his second term.

Perhaps this description may well give some perspective:
This is an Administration which considers checks and balances to be a hindrance. They believe that democracy consists essentially of electing a President every four years and entrusting to that President almost all of the important decisions.

I believe we have seen a seizing of power that should not have been seized by the executive branch. But thanks to the acquiescence of a Republican majority in this Congress, driven in part by ideological sympathy, the President has been allowed to be the decider. So we have had a very different kind of American government. It is democracy, but it is closer to plebiscitary democracy than it is to the traditional democracy of America.

Plebiscitary democracy: Political scientists use this to describe those systems wherein a leader is elected but once elected has almost all of the power. Indeed, I believe, it certainly would seem to me the aspirations of the Vice President.

Elect the President. Let him win and then get out of his way. We had a debate here a month ago on the floor of this House on the right of the President to ignore legislation passed thirty years ago, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, by which the President and Congress together set forward a method for wiretapping and eavesdropping in cases where we thought there were foreign threats to the US.

This is a case where the President and Congress together, in the Carter Administration, explicitly adopted a scheme to listen in on people who meant us ill. It was followed by Presidents Carter, Reagan, Bush I and Clinton. And then this President said, I don't like that, it's too confining, so I will ignore it. I will instead use my power to do what I want to do and forget the requirements of the law.

But where the law has been set out in a prescribed constitutional manner as to how to do something, and the President says, I am not going to do it that way, I will do it my way, then you are into plebiscitary democracy. Then you are into the democracy that says no checks and balances. No, Congress, I will do what I think necessary.
This whole criticism reeks of "it was OK when it was my guy doing it, but an intolerable appropriation of executive power when the other guy does the same thing (or less)." Congressional GOP uttered nary a peep in disapproval when Bush was far more aggressive in this regard then they howl tyranny when Obama excerpts even a mere wisp of the same prerogative.

I'm not justifying what Obama did necessarily, but the GOP has an immense credibility problem when they now criticize what they recently condoned, whether tacitly or openly.

Last edited by Rhumb; 06-03-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #70
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Liberal Paradise
Posts: 346
My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
Have you seen his dads tweets?
Yeah, I've seen the "tweets" that some republican JUST HAPPENED to save before it disappeared. Doesn't look like P\shop or anything. Seriously.

If the man had the balls to post some bs like that, don't you think he would have the balls to leave it up? Stop being a sheep.

As far as the military members that are attacking this POW, does "Swift Boat" ring a bell?
__________________
The Hunter S Thompson of e46f.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #71
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your gf's front hole
Posts: 356
My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Yeah, I've seen the "tweets" that some republican JUST HAPPENED to save before it disappeared. Doesn't look like P\shop or anything. Seriously.

If the man had the balls to post some bs like that, don't you think he would have the balls to leave it up? Stop being a sheep.

As far as the military members that are attacking this POW, does "Swift Boat" ring a bell?
Read the correspondence before this all happened, it could have been Jeremiah Wright typing that stuff up.

HE'S NOT A POW HE IS A DESERTER. Our own government wouldn't even call him a POW. Listen to what his peers are saying.
__________________
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart

Last edited by Act of God; 06-03-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #72
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 991
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Partisan politics aside, do you think it's a wise decision to exchange prisoners for soldiers? I realize our job is to bring them home (even a POS like this guy) but in war, hard decisions need to be made. I think this is a dangerous precedent....it would make it open season on kidnapping soldiers. Hagel was full of sh!t though when he said this was a simple POW exchange. I don't it means what he thinks it means.
Do you think it wasn't open season before? Do you think that given the chance, the Taliban wouldn't attempt to capture/kidnap US soldiers?

For every open-season argument, there's an argument to be made that the bad guys now realize it's smarter to keep US soldiers alive instead of beheading them or torturing them to death on video.

Their abilities to grab our guys certainly haven't increased, and I find it hard to believe their motivation wasn't already maxed prior to this. So I don't really see this changing anything in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
It was really Cheney and Addington that really pushed that Unitary Executive theory far beyond any previous administration, GOP or Dem. Cheney practically tried to carve out the Vice Presidency as being basically above the law or Congressional reach in enormous ways, even grating against the president's office in doing so, which I think lead to a breach in trust and confidence in Cheney by Bush during his second term.

Perhaps this description may well give some perspective:
This is an Administration which considers checks and balances to be a hindrance. They believe that democracy consists essentially of electing a President every four years and entrusting to that President almost all of the important decisions.

I believe we have seen a seizing of power that should not have been seized by the executive branch. But thanks to the acquiescence of a Republican majority in this Congress, driven in part by ideological sympathy, the President has been allowed to be the decider. So we have had a very different kind of American government. It is democracy, but it is closer to plebiscitary democracy than it is to the traditional democracy of America.

Plebiscitary democracy: Political scientists use this to describe those systems wherein a leader is elected but once elected has almost all of the power. Indeed, I believe, it certainly would seem to me the aspirations of the Vice President.

Elect the President. Let him win and then get out of his way. We had a debate here a month ago on the floor of this House on the right of the President to ignore legislation passed thirty years ago, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, by which the President and Congress together set forward a method for wiretapping and eavesdropping in cases where we thought there were foreign threats to the US.

This is a case where the President and Congress together, in the Carter Administration, explicitly adopted a scheme to listen in on people who meant us ill. It was followed by Presidents Carter, Reagan, Bush I and Clinton. And then this President said, I don't like that, it's too confining, so I will ignore it. I will instead use my power to do what I want to do and forget the requirements of the law.

But where the law has been set out in a prescribed constitutional manner as to how to do something, and the President says, I am not going to do it that way, I will do it my way, then you are into plebiscitary democracy. Then you are into the democracy that says no checks and balances. No, Congress, I will do what I think necessary.
This whole criticism reeks of "it was OK when it was my guy doing it, but an intolerable appropriation of executive power when the other guy does the same thing (or less)." Congressional GOP uttered nary a peep in disapproval when Bush was far more aggressive in this regard then they howl tyranny when Obama excerpts even a mere wisp of the same prerogative.

I'm not justifying what Obama did necessarily, but the GOP has an immense credibility problem when they now criticize what they recently condoned, whether tacitly or openly.
That's a lot of pretty words. But you didn't answer my question. To what degree did the Clinton administration selectively follow the law?
__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
We will not tolerate intolerance.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #73
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your gf's front hole
Posts: 356
My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Parents asked about the tweet, just nod their heads

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...o-the-taliban/
Quote:
It's unclear why this particular tweet was deleted: A spokesman for the family told The Post on Monday that Bob and Jani Bergdahl were asked by the media about the now-missing message upon their return to Idaho from Washington. But the Bergdahls didn't discuss it.

"They just nodded their head in acknowledgement of the question, but they didn't address [it] in their remarks," said Col. Timothy Marsano, the family spokesman.
__________________
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #74
bagher
Account closed.
 
bagher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,917
Send a message via AIM to bagher
smoking benghazi!
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #75
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Liberal Paradise
Posts: 346
My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
smoking benghazi!
Maybe the republicans can investigate this at the same time so we can save millions of tax dollars. I love a good republican investigation twofer.
__________________
The Hunter S Thompson of e46f.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #76
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Liberal Paradise
Posts: 346
My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Read the correspondence before this all happened, it could have been Jeremiah Wright typing that stuff up.

HE'S NOT A POW HE IS A DESERTER. Our own government wouldn't even call him a POW. Listen to what his peers are saying.
Are these the same peers that swiftboated John Kerry, or are they new ones?
__________________
The Hunter S Thompson of e46f.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #77
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 968
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Do you think it wasn't open season before? Do you think that given the chance, the Taliban wouldn't attempt to capture/kidnap US soldiers?

For every open-season argument, there's an argument to be made that the bad guys now realize it's smarter to keep US soldiers alive instead of beheading them or torturing them to death on video.

Their abilities to grab our guys certainly haven't increased, and I find it hard to believe their motivation wasn't already maxed prior to this. So I don't really see this changing anything in that regard.



That's a lot of pretty words. But you didn't answer my question. To what degree did the Clinton administration selectively follow the law?
True, but I'd imagine it's no easy task to kidnap a soldier, especially from an Army base. I ASSume US soldiers are not allowed to walk around an active warzone alone right?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #78
bagher
Account closed.
 
bagher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,917
Send a message via AIM to bagher
I bet Hillary Clinton sent the tweet
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #79
bagher
Account closed.
 
bagher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,917
Send a message via AIM to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
oh no his father is trying to understand the mindset of his sons' captors! he sure looks like a secret muslim now that he has a beard and speaks pashto!
bill is on the case!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...washingtonpost
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #80
phrozen06
Registered User
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 39°27'33"N 77°58'04"W
Posts: 7,567
My Ride: RIP E92 M3, E91 328
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Benghazi
Obamacare
Sgt Bergdahl
etc.

They'll be plenty reasons to i m p e a c h in 2015 after the G O P wins the senate and retains the house. I got my popcorn ready
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by phrozen06; 06-03-2014 at 12:51 PM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.